Back to Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People by University of California, Davis

¡Hola! ¿Como Estas? In this entry level course, you will take the first step toward exploring the foundations of Spanish grammar and pronunciation, and will begin to build a working vocabulary of common Spanish words and expressions. You will be able to talk about yourself, your family and friends in the present tense, and begin to explore the cultural context of the Spanish-speaking world through a series of videos and interactive activities, including speaking, reading and writing exercises. The adventure begins here, so ¡vámanos!...

MP

Nov 10, 2018

Although it took me a while to warm to the idea of doing peer review exercises, and having to video record and upload work, actually I think this is an important part of the course and really useful.

SD

Mar 08, 2018

This course is perfect for people looking to learn a new language. A lot depends on your enthusiasm to learn but the clarity offered in this course regarding the basics of Spanish is unparalleled.

126 - 147 of 147 Reviews for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

By Hanto L S

Oct 15, 2017

Good for beginner, but I got a little difficulty when joined this course. My suggest for new learners who never learn Spanish language should learn a little basic vocabulary and greeting in Spanish before take this course. Overal this is good course for people who want to learn Spanish language.

By jbene m

Jul 06, 2018

It have been a great experience. thanks for the greet course.

By karim a a m

Aug 06, 2018

very good course

By Unnati

Jul 19, 2018

Wonderful Ex[erience.

By Linda M

Jun 10, 2019

This was a pretty good introduction to beginning Spanish. As with any new language, the audio portions were quite difficult. All in all, I felt like I got a good start.

By Andy H

Jul 01, 2019

Good content, videos and quizzes. Introduces a substantial amount of vocabulary. I believe the course would be better if there were either practices (i.e. not quizzes) or guidance on where to go for practice. Unfortunately, a lot of learning a new language is lots of practice listening, pronouncing and conjugating verbs.

By João P N R

Jul 15, 2019

The course is fairly well designed and you can learn a lot, but the evaluation method of being rated by peers is far from perfect and can lead to very faulty evaluations.

By Xine A

Aug 01, 2019

It's a good course and I like that Professor Blake is not a native speaker because it shows how an American speaker can have good pronunciation and accent in a reachable way. Three things would make the course better for me -- 1. If there were more and more specialized exercises for each top, 2. If the exercises were placed next to the corresponding videos so that I could master one area before moving on to the next topic, and 3. If I could see the translation of the Perspectivas after completing the questions that follow.

By Erin J M

May 08, 2019

Very good for the opportunity to learn speaking exercises because you have to combine sentences together in order to make the language easier to understand. The grammar here is also amazing. I am at the beginner-intermediate level and before this course and I still learned a lot from this class.

The only downside is that they had a confusing quiz model that I never could figure out.

By Brett A H T

Nov 10, 2019

This is probably biased because I think i would absorb more in a brick and mortar school.

By Hassan H A

Jan 22, 2019

I have finished 'auditing' the course. the course is a very good start. It is not that difficult. I like everything in this course. the only thing I dislike about the course is as an audit student of the course, I can not take the last quiz of each week; I can read the questions though. That was the only draw-back; other than that, the course is highly recommended. I made a vocabulary list of this course in the following link: https://tinycards.duolingo.com/collections/ypWB5Hv/meeting-people

By Max P

Apr 04, 2018

The amount of time spent on the various grammar rules is really short. There could be more examples, and a few more sentences of the professor to let the theory stick. It is really minimal now.

By Tim J

Apr 13, 2017

Eh, not great to be honest.

By Bryan C

Mar 13, 2018

Generally speaking I think the course content is good, but I rated this course average because of three main reasons.

1). I think a little more effort to organize the material would go a long way. For example, the grammar presentations refer to new vocabulary words that were not introduced in the vocabulary list, and the vocabulary exams refer to content in the grammar section. It would be nice if the curriculum were designed so that you could study the vocabulary, take the vocabulary exam, then review the grammar and leverage what you learned in the vocabulary section to re-enforce your learning.

2). I also think that some of the topics deserve additional clarifications, and the presentations themselves are very short. I appreciate the length of the presentations when reviewing the presentations to refresh my memory, but difficult concepts sometimes require more attention than they are given. In some cases, it seems as though an elegant choice of words to describe a difficult concept is more important than taking the time to deconstruct that concept into simple phrases.

3). Lastly, there are errors in the presentations and exams, and little to no involvement from the professor to clarify points and/or correct those issues. I have noticed comments from students who have reported the same issues for the past two years, and those issues are still not corrected. I used to comment on the message boards for clarifications and to report errors, but after getting zero responses from the professor I stopped participating.

Conclusion:

Overall, I think it's a good course - it provides a good structure for learning the Spanish language despite the above shortcomings. Although they appear very simple to address, I see the same shortcomings exhibited by every course in the series.

By roya s

Sep 05, 2018

this is not for beginers.

By Sarah H

Jul 06, 2019

The first part was pretty confusing. I was previously taught the basics of Spanish back in highschool and a little more in college yet for the first test I was lost. Other than that I think its an easy course and good for beginners.

By Susie S

Mar 17, 2019

I am finding the material a bit confusing... I do not' know why they have to make learning so difficult.

By Qin W

Aug 19, 2018

No tutor is available.

Discussion form is dead.

You can ask question but you will never get the answer.

By Lily C L

Mar 20, 2017

This course is not worth taking, especially if you have to pay for it! It is boring and you hardly learn anything. Do not take this class, it is not worth your money.

By Priyank A

Apr 15, 2019

Got lost. The very first module had me lost. Thought this course was meant for beginners but wasn't offered any introductions

By Khamila E

May 27, 2019

Supposedly, this is a free course. I applied to have financial aids, it was accepted. I finished the course and then ! I had to pay to get the certificate. This was not even mentioned in any of the e-mails I have received.

By Carl L

Jul 27, 2019

jumps into understanding sentences that it does not give the vocab for.