Back to Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People by University of California, Davis

¡Hola! ¿Como Estas? In this entry level course, you will take the first step toward exploring the foundations of Spanish grammar and pronunciation, and will begin to build a working vocabulary of common Spanish words and expressions. You will be able to talk about yourself, your family and friends in the present tense, and begin to explore the cultural context of the Spanish-speaking world through a series of videos and interactive activities, including speaking, reading and writing exercises. The adventure begins here, so ¡vámanos!...

MP

Nov 10, 2018

Although it took me a while to warm to the idea of doing peer review exercises, and having to video record and upload work, actually I think this is an important part of the course and really useful.

II

Mar 27, 2020

The course is very useful with good structure and enables you to be greatly engaged and learn fast and with ease. Keep in mind that also it is necessary to combined it with other learning activity.

1 - 25 of 272 Reviews for Spanish Vocabulary: Meeting People

By Michelle S

Jul 06, 2017

This course is sadly very frustrating and I have had Spanish and French previously. I don't know how anyone with no Spanish experience would be able to finish the first week's worth of lessons without a lot of outside help and reference. I would expect that a course such as this would have all the reference you'd need to help you translate the material for the practice sessions. It seems like the reference and the practice were created at different times without any continuity. I have dropped this course and will continue with my other audio course.

By Fern H R

Jun 29, 2017

Description states no previous Spanish lessons required to complete this course which is false. Attempting this course and it was painfully clear that basic Spanish is required to even understand the beginning lessons. This being said it probably is a great class for intermediate students - not beginners

By Tamila G

Jul 22, 2018

I'd give 4.5 but it's not available, so went with 5 :)

The course is really useful, but in forums, even though the administrators encourage to communicate with one another, learners are not that eager to communicate. And the major part of language learning is communication! If you don't use what you've learned and don't listen to others, the learning process stretches and you tend to forget some words here and there. Perhaps making 5% of the whole course requirement to be on forums and communicate with others, not just keep posting your paragraphs that you were required as an assignment.

Thanks to the professor and the administration!

By Michelle P

Nov 10, 2018

By Mariela P

Dec 11, 2017

The course is amazing! The best one I have seen till now. The videos are short and helpful. Dr. Blake explains slowly and carefully. It is worth the time and effort!

Thank you!

By Yashasvi A

Jun 04, 2018

The course is good. But I think the peer grading assignment is unfair. Some peers downgrade you just because they have an opportunity to review someone and for their own guilty pleasure of letting others down. I respected the criterion of the assessment however one of the peers gave absolute dishonest review and unnecessarily deducted marks.

By Satyaprakash M

Apr 10, 2020

this is not ideal for beginners

By Sailendra D

Mar 08, 2018

This course is perfect for people looking to learn a new language. A lot depends on your enthusiasm to learn but the clarity offered in this course regarding the basics of Spanish is unparalleled.

By Soham D R

Apr 06, 2020

not very helpful instructor. every thing we have to google. the content where the instructor speeks is veeeeerryyyyyyyy little.

By Jim D

Feb 03, 2020

Just tried this course. I have been using Rosetta Stone and it is good but I wanted more. Tried the first 20 minutes of this course and the scaffolding is very poor. It dropped me in WAY above my level with no guided instruction. I am an educator so I understand how to do this. Sorry, gotta drop it.

By Ngaio S

Dec 18, 2019

This course moves way too fast, and is incredibly demanding and frustrating. I have studied Spanish quite a bit before, but even I found this confusing.

By Al A

Jun 25, 2019

This can serve as a very good starting point for learning basic Spanish, especially for those who are self-learners. It is carefully organized and novice-friendly. I really like the Perspectivas section, where I get to witness real native Spanish speakers. I think you just need lots of dedication for you to succeed in this course. I give this basic Spanish course 5/5.

By Mikhail R

May 05, 2017

Perfect introductory Spanish course - well structured material and good delivery. It would be great to see more advanced Spanish courses from this university or something geared towards DELE exam.

By Tracy P

Oct 10, 2019

Excellent introduction to Spanish vocabulary and grammar. Realistic scenarios and examples are provided with amazing opportunities for practice. One of the best language MOOCS available!

By Sapna M

Jul 09, 2017

Learning Spanish through coursera was a nice experience. The guidelines were quite clear. The course was designed in good way so that student can find learning more interesting.

By Senia B

Apr 26, 2020

Would not recommend this course or the whole specialization. The courses lack enough examples to drive home the main points of the language usage, especially where the grammar is concerned. The courses also rely heavily on peer graded assignments and most peers are very poor graders even when given specific rubrics. I have repeatedly had peers said I did not do something and dock me points for it while the thing is very clearly done but they did not understand and were unable to follow the directions given. Also the course expects language beginners to effectively judge each other's pronunciation which is plainly a laughable idea. Very disappointed!

By Lily C L

Mar 20, 2017

This course is not worth taking, especially if you have to pay for it! It is boring and you hardly learn anything. Do not take this class, it is not worth your money.

By Priyank A

Apr 15, 2019

Got lost. The very first module had me lost. Thought this course was meant for beginners but wasn't offered any introductions

By Helen C

Apr 14, 2020

im not happy with the course. its all vocabulary and no conversational lessons. going to stop

By Carl L

Jul 27, 2019

jumps into understanding sentences that it does not give the vocab for.

By Ayush S

Very minimum teaching and only a lot of assignment work,It sucks.

By Vanessa R

Jan 05, 2020

This first class was awesome. I like that we had a project at the end where we could show what we learned. Also, the scaffolding is good with regard to the quiz results; this helped me figure out what I needed to review before returning to retake them. Additionally, I really liked the vocabulary drills; by putting words into sentences, this helped me to create greater meaning for them (I combined the words and their descriptions with que es/que son), while the images were also very helpful in making some sense of the verbs. What's good about this class, too, is that we get to see many sentence examples. So I was really excited with what this class offered and I felt that I actually learned a little Spanish!

By Doshia K

Feb 25, 2018

The pace for this course is FAST. Expect 50-75 vocabulary words (including congugations) in week 2-4. Including time to make flash cards and practice memorization of the words, I spent +/- 5 hours a week on this course. BUT - if you're willing to put in the work, this course is AMAZING. I was able to hold basic conversations and understand others after the first two weeks; something I had tried on my own for years! A college education at $39/month? THANK YOU, COURSERA!

By KAUSHIK G V

Jul 25, 2019

Really informative course about the basics of Spanish vocabulary. Understood the basics very well. They were explained in a very lucid manner by the teacher Mr.Robert Blake. The training modules and exercises were very vital in providing me with the proper hands-on experience of working out and solving questions related to the topic. I had a wonderful time learning from this course and look to learn more from the upcoming courses in this specialization

By Neha K

This course is the first stepping stone towards learning and mastering Spanish. Dr. Robert Blake is an exceptional teacher. He broke down complex grammar rules, made them seem simpler and always has a motivational tone to his speech which sub consciously drives learners to sincerely invest their time into learning. I am thrilled to enroll for the second course as well, in this specialization.

Yo quiero aprender más.