Back to Spanish Vocabulary: Sports, Travel, and the Home

Spanish Vocabulary: Sports, Travel, and the Home, University of California, Davis

About this Course

Ready for the big game? Building on the vocabulary and skills that you have already mastered, this third course of the specialization will introduce new vocabulary that will prepare you to discuss sports, pastimes and politics -- important cultural elements of the Spanish-speaking world. You’ll also add new vocabulary relating to travel and living arrangements. This course also introduces the progressive tense and past tense and you will add to your vocabulary of helping verbs....

By AP

Mar 13, 2018

Thank you so much to my instructor for instructing Ana Pelayo.\n\nThank you, Ana Pelayo.

By RR

Aug 16, 2018

I love the course and the Syllabus is very interesting too.

8 Reviews

By Tamila Goshadze

Sep 27, 2018

I haven’t seen any moderators here. Your questions will go unanswered for weeks. You can check in forums. You will end up with ONLY one review for your Module work and not TWO as indicated. I’ve ended up in this situation twice and had to reset deadlines now the 3rd time :( which of course stretches time..

Reviewer’s (singular in my case) feedback was released just hours before the course is closed so there is no resubmission!

UC Davis, come onnnnnn!

By Kriebel Daria Stasio

Sep 11, 2018

Certainly this is a good course for those who strives to learn Spanish. Though a little bit hard for beginners.

By Raimundo Iatagan Uchoa Rocha

Aug 16, 2018

I love the course and the Syllabus is very interesting too.

By Diem Thuy Hoang Nguyen Bentzon

May 10, 2018

I really enjoy this course. The pace and the level is perfect. The course is well-structured and learning curve goes up up up...

By Ana R. Pelayo.

Mar 13, 2018

Thank you so much to my instructor for instructing Ana Pelayo.

Thank you, Ana Pelayo.

By Bryan Chin

Mar 13, 2018

Generally speaking I think the course content is good, but I rated this course average because of three main reasons.

1). I think a little more effort to organize the material would go a long way. For example, the grammar presentations refer to new vocabulary words that were not introduced in the vocabulary list, and the vocabulary exams refer to content in the grammar section. It would be nice if the curriculum were designed so that you could study the vocabulary, take the vocabulary exam, then review the grammar and leverage what you learned in the vocabulary section to re-enforce your learning.

2). I also think that some of the topics deserve additional clarifications, and the presentations themselves are very short. I appreciate the length of the presentations when reviewing the presentations to refresh my memory, but difficult concepts sometimes require more attention than they are given. In some cases, it seems as though an elegant choice of words to describe a difficult concept is more important than taking the time to deconstruct that concept into simple phrases.

3). Lastly, there are errors in the presentations and exams, and little to no involvement from the professor to clarify points and/or correct those issues. I have noticed comments from students who have reported the same issues for the past two years, and those issues are still not corrected. I used to comment on the message boards for clarifications and to report errors, but after getting zero responses from the professor I stopped participating.

Conclusion:

Overall, I think it's a good course - it provides a good structure for learning the Spanish language despite the above shortcomings. Although they appear very simple to address, I see the same shortcomings exhibited by every course in the series.

By Nyasha Adrian Kieth Gorogodo