Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG

Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP

Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

3276 - 3300 of 3,363 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Mathias M

Mar 19, 2020

Very slow and badly organised start of the course with no to very little practice of how to use SQLite before the coding quiz.

By Seidler C

Apr 28, 2021

The first exercises are still ok. But the final exam is really a mess. The questions are not as precise as they should be.

By Yash K

Aug 5, 2020

Too much talking in videos with less examples. The exercises were vague and not enough information was given to solve them

By Bill P

Dec 1, 2020

The videos had the wrong emphasis, and were far too long.

More time should have been devoted to the exercises/quizzes.

By Christos A

Apr 23, 2020

Not satisfied. There are better MOOCs for SQL/Data Science out there. I wouldn't recommend it for a SQL beginner.

By Terrela P

Sep 15, 2021

G​reat information, however, the site that host the datebase for the quizes is outdated and no longer supported.

By Bram M

Mar 9, 2021

The course is good in itself, but answers circulate on the internet, making the certificate not very meaningful.

By Naomy A

Dec 16, 2019

there is a lot of questions about how the questions were asked, i highly recommend you do see the discussions

By Neeli K

Mar 3, 2020

Not enough examples were shared.

Certain concepts were explained without telling their underlying basics.

By Eslam R M A

Nov 3, 2018

There are few examples about every lesson, and may not have examples for some lessons

By Kerry-Ann K

May 13, 2022

Not information was given and it is clearly out of date.

By Billy S

Jul 29, 2019

The presentation and speaker

By Adriana R

Apr 10, 2020

Not the best for beginners

By Inês M D C

May 25, 2021

Average

By Raymond Z

Jun 13, 2022

T​here are so many issues with this course. The lectures, while generally clear, are obviously read from a teleprompter, with no slides or real exercises provided. They lack a lot of substance and examples to fully illustrate the content, and have no interactive components. The instructor is clearly extremely capable and knowledgeable, but is unable to convey any of that information due to the structure of the lectures.

The assignments meanwhile are way too difficult compared to the lecture material and severely lacking in feedback, explanation, or clarity. Half of the questions either have blatant errors, confusing wording, or requirements impossible for SQLite. Maybe this was partially my error, but it's not like the course was very helpful. In one of the lectures, on using DATE, the example in the lecture is formatted incorrectly, leading to a lot of trouble when doing the Quiz.

S​ome questions will ask you about "correlation" or "predicting", which is fine and all, except for the part where SQLite doesn't support many of the fuctions neccessary for such analysis.

I​ cannot recommend anyone take this course. There are maybe 4 hours of actual content in the entire course (including quizzes and assingments), except it'll take you significantly longer to complete as you sit there confused by the questions. Yes, you'll learn something, but you also could've done the same with a free tutorial somewhere else.

The forums are filled with people confused by the formatting, phrasing, or structure of assessments. Meanwhile, no effort is made by the instructors or UC Davis to correct the many issues here nor answer any of these posts. It's frankly an embarassment for a school like UC Davis to be putting out such low-quality content, even if it is from their extension program.

By Heiko K

Feb 25, 2020

The course is overall very high in quality and I found it really useful. The teacher explains the concepts really well and the exercises are very good. I really found joy doing the final course assignment. However, I feel that I got tricked into paying one more month of subscription, seconds after I paid for another month, I did receive the course certificate. I submitted the peer graded assignment one week ago. My plan was to continue with the other courses in this specialisation but after my experience with this subscription/payment philosophy, I will not discontinue and look for other online platforms with a better customer experience for me. Thank you nonetheless for the high quality of this course, I am certain many learners find the material extremely helpful, as did I.

By christian s

Apr 12, 2022

This is not a beginner course, it is very high level with little time or explanations spent on each topic. The quizes expect syntax that has not been gone over in order to correctly answer the questions. I received better explantions for what was needed from W3school brief high level explanaton then I did this ocurse.

The instructor tends to stumble over her words alot which causes confusion and the examples within the presentation are not really clear as they arent based off real world, just table 1 table 2 etc.

I debated if I should review or not as I wonder also is this just not witin my leanring style, but reallized in a course of this type it should fit a variety learning styles as the Google courses do.

By Brennan M

Jul 16, 2021

This course covers topics in passing and expects you to internalize that topic. If this is going to be the pace, there really should be slides to review.

Also, if you're going to have someone just read off a teleprompter, hire an actor. The jarring cadence of this lecturer, the frequent tripping over words, or finishing a sentence only to realize there are three more words, it's brutal.

There are a ton of mini-quizzes which is fine, but it also has a "check all the right answers" which is both wildly pedantic and in many instances neither provable nor educational. Most courses I take through Coursera offer the "10 questions at the end" feature which is less disruptive and the questions feel more substantive.

By Bridget M

Jun 22, 2022

This course in my opinion was not beginner level. I was expecting basic sql coding, and it quickly took a deep dive into more advanced and in depth coding. The video lectures had a lot of information, but not enough practical examples, and then when getting to quizes I felt like the quiz material did not match up to what was talked about in the videos. The run windows for the coding quizes were also glitchy . It took way longer than approximately 14 hours to complete this course. I also did not appreciate the final assignment needing to be peer reviewed to get the certificate for the course. It should just be self checked like the rest of the assignments. I won't be recommending this course to anyone.

By Noel C

Sep 30, 2019

The first two weeks were easy to follow along with. Unfortunately after that the course was severely lacking. There were not good explanations of things and new things would be added in that hadn’t been covered. When you post questions the mentors aren’t much help and the students will try to answer if they can. There’s also no way to practice. I also would’ve found it nice to see the tables they were pulling their “examples” from. I had to use other resources to actually study and learn SQLite. I’m assuming the people who gave this course a high score are already familiar with SQLite and just wanted the certificate.

By Helena B

Mar 3, 2021

First thing the instructor said was this course is for beginners. I am a beginner so I signed up. There are so many references I did not understand, no step by step explanation of how to find the data required to pass the exams so ended up looking for answers on the forum. Only way I managed to get through the third week was because my husband new how to use python and he helped me find correct answers - which were different to the ones we were given.

New steps were brought in without any basic explanation, again an indication that prior knowledge is needed.

Awful and disheartening

By Jay P

Jan 16, 2021

Pretty useless course, especially for someone looking to audit (learn for free). Well I would be livid if I actually paid for this.

Without a text editor in the course, you are trying to learn SQL via slideshow basically. There is no way to learn SQL without practicing. I switched to Codecademy's SQL course as it's much better because of the the text editor. They teach you and you practice with actual syntax and commands rather than stupid quiz questions. I still use some of the videos to better understand some concepts but only after I practice/learn them in Codecademy.