Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

76 - 100 of 3,037 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Chloe W

Oct 31, 2018

=) Very clear walkthrough of important concepts in SQL and why use certain functions for certain tasks.

=( Wish there were more practice questions so it's more interative.

=( Also it would be great if there are more "real-life" SQL practices that involve solving for an actual question that you might encounter as a data scientist working for a tech company.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Sadie!

By Alex H

Jun 30, 2020

Thought some of the intuitive thinking was a bit challenging, but really liked how the sqlite server was built into the course and didn't require any download or off-site work. Think some of the time estimates should be a bit longer, but overall good course.

By Prashanna G

Mar 5, 2020

Good course for anyone starting to learn SQL but the course needs more assignments to ensure that the learners have got a good understanding of the concepts. Also, the final project is a bit overwhelming to do without prior experience in SQL.

By Sagar

Jul 29, 2021

course was designed good. but i would advised to have a bit of Sql knowldge from youtube so that you will be able to understand everything much better.

By Deepak G

Jul 1, 2020

A nice course for introduction with SQL but they could have used the software currently used in the industry like oracle's MySQL or SQL server.

By Rathindra M

Jul 1, 2020

Would have been better if there was a chapter on connecting to an sql server from an application or gui.

By Kyle G

Dec 17, 2021

I wish there was a practical piece to practice after every video to help learn each new new skill.

By Nikhil K s

Jan 30, 2019

Great course with great learning and an opportunity to apply that learning

By Kunal S

Jul 19, 2020

Good for beginners

By Muhammad A B

best courses

By Brent L

Aug 14, 2020

Examples, examples, examples. This course could be drastically improved by providing more concrete examples of each function, preferably one we can play and explore with in some exercise (not just a practice quiz) if not right there in the lesson (much like w3schools does). I felt that this would have increased my understanding, confidence, and proficiency exponentially.

By Eric W

Oct 12, 2021

Considered as a beginner-level course, the lack of depth may make some sense. However, the assignment is poorly organized and worded. Even worse are the reading materials that include lots of external sources of casual articles. Some of the contents really should be digested in the course chapters.

By Madanuri N S

Jun 30, 2020

This is really a good basic knowledge course. Actually the more usable commands will be convered

By max

Mar 20, 2021

lessons are not well structured, it would be so much more easy to explain sql

interactively by explainging a concept of sql, then creating a query highlighting what is particularly important of that query and then seeing the result of that querry. Instead it is done in old fashioned power point. First a set of concepts, then some additional information and then application,

E-learning allows for a much more interwoven structure, that might be more initial work for the creator of the course but it clearly would add a lot of value to the students.

Sometimes the course misses to explaing relevant detail.

For example in the last weeks lecture about Date, we learned that we could do operations like

Date('now') - DateColum, and this would return the time difference but only in years, not days, not hours. It would be intersting to know why that is.

The last assignment

By Christina L G

Dec 18, 2020

Although the information and topics in itself are interesting and the course gives a good overview, the individual videos have a lot of repetition (in 5 minutes an intro, the main part and a summary), and I find the person who gives the course hard to listen to, as it often seems like she doesn't understand what she is saying. Also the questioning in the case study is very unclear - watching the discussion forum I'm not the only one who struggled to understand what they want. The provided answers for reviewing your peers are so widely interpretable that I myself got max points from 2 students for 1 question, while the third gave 0 points. And that for several of the questions. Overall not satisfied over the quality of this course

By Miriam G

Dec 24, 2020

Lectures were stilted and repetitive, some of the exercises were poorly thought through and the peer-grading is a joke, with people grading me as having got questions correct, when having seen the answers I now know I got some questions wrong! Questions from peers went unanswered in the forums.

By Jan C

Sep 12, 2020

It stars strong, but on weeks 3-4 it lacks comprehensive examples and guidelines, and that makes you feel lost. Also, the final assignment is very hard, and it asks things in a non-comprehensive manner, which makes you spend a lot of time until you understand what they are asking you.

By Len V

Oct 14, 2021

Considering how hands on learning a language like SQL can be, this course does a lot of info dumping about the theory all at once instead of embracing the practical approach. This makes the course a lot more taxing than it has to be.

By Jibran A

Aug 20, 2020

The teacher has really good knowledge of SQL and I really respect her for that, but as someone who is not familiar with SQL finds it difficult to give quiz without any side by side practice of the topic

By Ala A

Oct 8, 2021

Material was good, but the staff is why I'm giving 1 star. Finished the course and submitted my final assignment for peer review, it has been "in progress" for 4 weeks, this is not acceptable to delay learning progress. Staff should have a way to monitor the assignments time and resolve. We respect your time, please respect ours.

By Mark P

Jan 3, 2018

I'm fairly proficient in R and wanted to add a database language to my data science repertoire. Most data science jobs ask for SQL so I thought this was the perfect starting point for learning. I found learning the language fairly straightforward, especially because many SQL-type commands are built into R packages (like dplyr). My job has a comprehensive relational database but, I usually use a point and click interface to make queries- now that I'm more proficient I'll start using SQL though. Additionally, I was hoping to pick up SQL before starting my grad program in analytics so I can "hit the ground running" and be ready for classes focused on database management and data engineering. I was able to accomplish this without any question.

I really liked the course, which is not surprising given all of Coursera's data science content is excellent. The final assignment was very thorough and helped put together lots of focused questions you might encounter using SQL as a data scientist. It really helped solidify my learning. For about $60, this was a no brainer for getting started in the language.

By vijay k d

Jan 4, 2020

DO Slowly, Build up. This is a wonderful course and you will not know when you have learnt so many things. The instructor is wonderful she explains things nicely. The people who have designed the course must be working professionals because Of their depth of understanding of the subject and knowledge.

The most interesting thing about the course is you will learn a few things in a module then try your hands on. you don't even need a laptop to code because they have integrated everything on the Coursera's platform. I have watched most of the videos on my smart phone and submitted a few assignments too.

and the last part of the journey through this course for me is realization. You solve the questions given in the peer graded assignment specially part 2 and for a person who Has been listening the terms like PREDICTION, SENTIMENT ANALYSIS kind of stuff , Learning a few lines of codes in SQL from this course has actually let me do them.

Wonderful course Amazing team

Thanks Coursera

Thanks Sadie St Lawrence

By Camilo M R

Oct 2, 2021

Excellent course to begin to understand the basic clauses of SQL and understand how to structure them to generate clean code. The teacher provides excellent examples of codes that programmers face every day, just to highlight some skills of the course, I want to say that the way the teacher teaches the clauses' CASE ',' WHEN ', WildCards,' COUNT ',' FROM 'and' SELECT 'are highly professional as it explains them in such a simple way that even beginners will understand. I want to say thanks at the UCDAVIS team and teacher Sadie St. Lawrence for doing such an interactive and professional course, something that I love is that the teacher is always in the videos explaining all the topics and in general the exercises, this is very professional already that other courses only put audio and slides and that character that teachers bring to classes is lost. Thank you very much for allowing me to learn with you. Best, Camilo Mejía-Rivera

By Shweta K

Nov 5, 2021

This course is very well-designed. All the concepts one will require to work on a database are covered. The explanation of all the commands was very easy to understand. The quiz in between the videos were helpful to test the knowledge. Also, the coding quizzes are amazingly designed. Those have questions starting from easy to difficult level. The final assignment was a mix of all the concepts covered from week 1 and it was definitely a good one. Peer assignment review was a nice idea. I got to see how different people would write the same query differently. The logic of the query was same but the way of writing it, the formatting and the easy-to-follow method were some of the points I will be taking away from it. Really a great course that Coursera is offering!

By Chamnan S

Nov 4, 2021

I​ really like how the instructor's giving lecture. I also like that each video has questions along the way. It keeps me interested and focused with the material being presented. One thing though is the peer review project at the end. I thought more detail instruction on how to get data set were given. Overall, I really like the course and I think the time was well spent. I am happy to get a free certificate that I can share on LinkedIn. I have no background on data science in college (my major is quantitative econ), but my interest has shifted toward data science a lot and I slowly build my skills on it. So having a certificate to update on my LinkedIn profile will help me prove my network indirectly that I have developed my knowledge in data science field.