Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG

Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP

Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

2426 - 2450 of 3,275 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Kausik D

May 1, 2018

Overall a good course for the starters in SQL in Dtaa Science filed, however I felt it could be some more hands-on oriented with some more examples, and it was mainly of lecture contents, rather things could be shown visually for a better understanding. Thank You for the videos.

By Sabarish A

Mar 31, 2020

Would have loved to see more live videos of how to do stuff. There could have also been an SQL initial setup tutorials in the system which would have been more beneficial on how to setup a relational database. But, I was able to learn the basics of SQL and how it works overall.

By Ivan K

Sep 4, 2020

Buen curso que permite aprender SQL de forma rápida y eficaz cuando buscas mejorar tu CV y obtener habilidades necesarias para el sector de análisis de datos. La última prueba es un poco compleja...¡dedicale tiempo! No te copies de los github que puedas encontrar en la web ;-)

By Mehul U

Aug 2, 2020

Very good course for beginners to start and specially for people without any programming background. The assignment provided at the end of every module give a very good exercise for practice. Only thing is some real life examples could also have been included in the lectures.

By Pong C X

Mar 6, 2021

Questions in the final assignment are rather ambiguous. More can be done to make the questions more specific and easier to interpret. Examples presented in the course were also very sparse and basic. However the syllabus covered the basics to get you started on learning SQL.

By Dimitra M

Dec 4, 2020

This is a very good and useful course to take if you work or want to work with SQL. It provides a very wide ranged knowledge on SQL. One recommendation from me is that it could be a slightly more hand-on in SQLite along with the videos so that sudents can play with the code.

By SHALINI G

Jun 19, 2018

I really appreciate the way SQL is taught in this course. The only limitation is that if the coding given by the student does not match the coding in the answer , then it is displayed as incorrect. However the coding might be technically right and generate the same output.

By Parth S

Jun 16, 2019

The amount of content that is covered in this course is very comprehensive. The videos are precise and very useful. The practice tests and weekly assignments are very helpful. The peer review assignment was very poorly worded and ambiguous. Other than that good job guys !

By N K P N

Jul 10, 2020

Please add a video in the course for instruction on installing any SQL Studio to computer. More practice exercises are needed in the course itself. Some of the videos in 3rd and 4th week were were hard to understand without proper examples. Overall a good course. Thanks!

By Juan S M Q

For some people don't care about assignments, so they don't take the time to review the work of other properly. Two of three take time and they reviews my work and the last didn't care about and he gave me a bad score! It is not fare! I took the right time to do it well

By Danli Y

Aug 24, 2020

This course is a perfect start for those who have no basis for SQL to learn basic statements and possible applications. However, the lecture videos are too short and do not provide enough examples. I have to spend much more time googling before doing any assignments.

By Burak K

Aug 12, 2020

I think the course is well designed for intorduction to sql language for data science. One more thing about the course is that I cannot open and use the sqlite. If there is a bit more information about the usage of sqlite, it will be great. Thanks for this course !

By Anibal V

Jan 9, 2022

The instructional videos were excellent. Overall the course help me remember what I'd learned about SQL many years ago and also introduced me to some new knowledge.

The instructions on how to evaluate some of the questions in the final assessment were ambiguous.

By Yousra R

Sep 24, 2020

Good lecture very helpful as for people who are new to SQL. The only thing that I would recommend is to give more explanations in quizzes. I wasted two days asking for help for the support just because i thought there was an error in the settings of the website

By Verónica N C

Nov 1, 2020

The content was excellent. I learned a lot but I would like to share that in my experience it took more time than estimated, especially to complete the final project.

It should present a better time estimation in order to support users in managing their time.

By Artur T

Aug 9, 2020

Very good practical exercises, while the lectures are worse. Lecturer mostly reads text written on slides, therefore learner need additionally to read some information online with more examples to have more clear picture and be ready for practical assignment.

By Saisha M

May 18, 2019

I personally found the course really helpful. I recently started working on SAS and this SQL course came in handy. I'm planning on taking a course on SAS now. I'd recommend this course to anyone who wants to get started with SQL, it's a pretty basic course.

By Felix G

Apr 27, 2022

Best course to learn and go a bit further than entry level in SQL (some intermediate stuff there definitely)).

Only missing star is for data quality in the final assignment that is ok but could be better.

Very nice course over all with very good approach :)

By Julia G

May 5, 2020

The material in the course was good and very useful, clearly structured. The only comment I would give that I didnt like the way material was presented, you could feel that it was read not told and presenter was inexperienced with reading from the screen.

By Harsh K V

Jul 11, 2020

The course was very interesting and the assignments were also engaging. However, it would have been even better if Sadie would code in SQL while giving the lectures. This would have provided a better understanding of how to approach a particular problem.

By Stephen F

Apr 14, 2020

It's a great beginner level class. It only covers SQLite, which means you don't get some basic statements like WITH, which I use regularly. But I did get introduced to a few new ideas, and Sadie does a fine job emphasizing working in a thoughtful manner.

By Prabesh D

Jan 19, 2020

As someone who's completely new to SQL, I learned a lot.

However, Week 3's content on Subqueries could have been better explained.

Overall, I recommend you the course if you are new to SQL like me. If you know a bit already, this might be too easy for you.

By Lauren B

Mar 9, 2022

I found this course really good. It was well paced for a beginner and the assignments were really useful in understanding the materials. I did listen to it at 2x speed because I found the lecturer spoke quite slow. But overall it was really beneficial

By Hassan s

Aug 17, 2020

The exercises in the course helped give me practice for which I am giving this a 4 star.

Teaching SQL on video without real time practice was weird. Found myself going to websites like w3 schools so keep that in mind if you're considering this course.

By Mehrshad E

Feb 1, 2018

Generally a helpful course. The biggest problem I think is providing enough examples. There are many examples in the slides but the results are not provided. I think showing both codes and the results will help people to grasp the concept more easily.