Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AT
Nov 17, 2020

Well it was a short course, the assignments are a little bit repetitive (mostly in the last). The course reviews every 'practical' aspects of SQL, how to assemble the bricks while writing queries,...

251 - 275 of 2,479 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Hans G Q

Nov 30, 2020

A very nice course to start learning about SQL. I would suggest more datasets to do more practice, but overall, I felt excited and confident to go out and practice by myself. That's what I was looking for!

By Ramachandran S

May 10, 2021

This course is a great learning for anyone who wants to understand SQL. Helped me in enhancing knowledge. Content and presentations by professor is outstanding. Thank you Professor, Coursera and UC Davis!

By Vishnu V B

Dec 4, 2020

Excellent Course for beginners. This course doesn't exactly provide tons of information on coding and syntaxes but a great start for people like me. I have enjoyed working on SQL through out the course.

By Mihkel L

Nov 25, 2020

Very helpful. I remembered something from previous times but it helped me to get back on track... although in my assignments I must re-learn the syntax - cause it is somewhat different, it has appeared.

By Mobeen A K

Sep 11, 2019

The Peer Graded Assignment was challenging and the really helped in refreshing the concepts with applications. The coding assignments during different modules were helpful in getting the coding mode on.

By Sharavanakkumar S

Nov 23, 2020

Excellent course material and instructor, I applied these codes in biological databases, which provides me a lot of understanding of those function, earned me a good value among my professors and peers

By Syed S A

May 1, 2020

had a great learning experience, came across new concepts, and was able to deal with them thanks to Mrs.Sadie St.lawrence for explaining each and every topic so clearly, next steps towards Data Science

By Natalia A N C

Oct 19, 2020

I really liked the course, I learned too much. The explanation is clear, appropriate activities and very good traceability. I really enjoyed it, I will definitely apply what I learned in my career.

By QUINTERO B J S

Jun 26, 2020

A good option to start in this topics, is easy to understand the topics and is necesary to study more things diferent to the videos and the lectures, also is very important practice all the topics.

By Marco P

Nov 4, 2019

Course is very well structured, the explanations by video and the relative exercises upon the different themes explained, are excellent, so I've learned in a fast, efficient and profitable manner.

By Elena L

Jan 30, 2019

Perfect course! But recommend the last main exercise do more readable and understandable. It is difficult to read in a text file, single-color task and it is not always clear what needs to be done.

By Sylva M

Oct 12, 2020

Really useful course for me. It takes you from the SQL beginners to the level, where you can write your own queries and easy read the ER diagrams. I appreciate a lot of practice during the course.

By Pranali M

Sep 12, 2020

This is amazing course . Once you join this it gives complete information about SQL basics.To improve knowledge of creating databases it is very important course.I am glad to become part of these.

By Yee L

Apr 19, 2021

Exactly what I signed up for. Basic understanding and syntax learning. For anyone looking to further their sql writing, I believe this course and the rest of the curriculum will do perfectly fine

By Kevin D

Mar 20, 2021

this was more challenging than I expected, the assignments will definitely make you think. A good intro to SQL. If you have no background reading the supplementary articles will be very helpful

By Carolina C

Nov 13, 2020

Great course! I had zero experience in SQL and I´ve learnt a lot of useful things. The final project of the course was very interesting. Looking forward to the other courses in the specialization

By Astha b

The instructor was awesome, whatever she taught was enough to do the assignment. I fell in love with her way of teaching, and now I will also do UC Davis specialization. Assignments were good.

By Fernando B P

May 9, 2020

By taking the course you can learn how to use the principal commands for database queries using SQL and the practice exams help your to develop the ability to perform the theoretical knowledge

By Shi Q

Apr 27, 2020

This course is very well paced and easy to follow. It won't go extremely deep into details, but there's definitely sufficient information for you to lay a good foundation for future studies.

By Liu

Feb 8, 2020

This is a very helpful and well-designed data course. I love the way the teacher teach me knowledge about SQL. I highly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in data science.

By Aowuu

Oct 11, 2018

I am very exciting to use SQL help me analyze data, and it is a powerful and easy-going language for me to use in future modelling & analysis work. The course is really helpful, thankyou.

By Samuel E

Sep 22, 2020

Great program that even if you know nothing about SQL in advance - the course will equip you with the most important knowledge to allow you to dive into the field of SQL and data science

By GUDIPUDI R

Jul 26, 2020

All the concepts are explained in a very structured way and the course made complex queries too very easy to understand. Definitely try this course for sql. No regrets and very happy:):)

By Johanna P R

Jan 15, 2020

This class has already paid for itself. I have used what I learned to write SQL reports to pull reports from our test database. I look forward to taking more classes in SQL Data Science.

By Yuyan L

Apr 28, 2021

Great introductory course on SQL, you can learn a lot from the definition of relational database system to specific queries used to pick out target information from huge amount of data.