Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

MP

Jul 18, 2020

best course for learning SQL for beginners.I learned so much from this course.the speaking language is also simple ..So i Recommended this course for beginners who's 2nd or third language is English.

51 - 75 of 1,802 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Prashanna G

Mar 05, 2020

Good course for anyone starting to learn SQL but the course needs more assignments to ensure that the learners have got a good understanding of the concepts. Also, the final project is a bit overwhelming to do without prior experience in SQL.

By Deepak G

Jul 01, 2020

A nice course for introduction with SQL but they could have used the software currently used in the industry like oracle's MySQL or SQL server.

By Rathindra M

Jul 01, 2020

Would have been better if there was a chapter on connecting to an sql server from an application or gui.

By Nikhil S

Jan 30, 2019

Great course with great learning and an opportunity to apply that learning

By Kunal S

Jul 19, 2020

Good for beginners

By Muhammad A B

Jun 30, 2020

best courses

By Omer G

Jul 02, 2018

While I did learn some useful bits, I found the course lacking. I think it could have been much improved if certain conditions would have been met:A. More practice! You don't learn a computer language by hearing about it, you learn by using it. The only practice this course had were the quizzes, and they were far from sufficient. I would expect each lesson to be followed by at least some practice. I often found myself venturing to different websites in order to practice what I had learned, and learned more from that than I did from the actual course.B. Better explanations. I found the explanations short and sometimes lacking. Moreover, at times there was no synchronization between what the instructor was saying and what was presented on screen (e.g. she was talking about products when the example presented data of employess). It's a small thing but can be very confusing. It is very important to be precise here. Again, I found myself reading elsewhere in order to better understand certain concepts, which I might as well have learned elsewhere altogether.C. Examples! Again, you don't learn a computer language by hearing about it. You learn by using it or by seeing how it is used. Whenever I'm taught something, I want to be shown examples of possible ways to use it. Examples were scarce and incomprehensive.D. Applicability. The course is called "SQL for Data Science", yet I found very little in the way of applying SQL to data science. I would expect a lot more tips and tricks and examples of real-life problems and how an actual data scientist would tackle them. There was almost none of that. There were positives as well. The instructor was pleasant, the course was pretty well structured and did provide an introduction (although not much more) to SQL. But I did not get what I was hoping for.

By Brent L

Aug 14, 2020

Examples, examples, examples. This course could be drastically improved by providing more concrete examples of each function, preferably one we can play and explore with in some exercise (not just a practice quiz) if not right there in the lesson (much like w3schools does). I felt that this would have increased my understanding, confidence, and proficiency exponentially.

By Madanuri N S

Jul 01, 2020

This is really a good basic knowledge course. Actually the more usable commands will be convered

By Toby C

Jul 13, 2020

I felt the course was put together in a hurry. There was a lot of information that was incomplete or just plain incorrect. The assignments were even more vague than I was expecting. OTOH It does lead you through learning very basic SQL.

Too much focus was given to SQLite which is not an industry standard. Perhaps using a free DBMS like Postgres or MySQL would have been better. Are there any interactive T-SQL or Oracle engines that could be put in a box like the SQLite here?

By Ana

Jun 09, 2020

This is the first course from Coursera that I didn't like at all. For absolute beginners is not suitable. There is only theories and somehow boring because there isn't any examples to do at the same time to understand the content better.

I recommend to add more examples to the weekly courses like the ones for the final project so we can understand the theory more.

By Jan C

Sep 12, 2020

It stars strong, but on weeks 3-4 it lacks comprehensive examples and guidelines, and that makes you feel lost. Also, the final assignment is very hard, and it asks things in a non-comprehensive manner, which makes you spend a lot of time until you understand what they are asking you.

By Jibran A

Aug 20, 2020

The teacher has really good knowledge of SQL and I really respect her for that, but as someone who is not familiar with SQL finds it difficult to give quiz without any side by side practice of the topic

By Ahmad S

Jul 21, 2020

Nice course! Only giving it low stars because the assignments are so out of data. Please update your assignments corresponding to updates to Database.

By Salim A

Jul 01, 2020

It's very basic SQL, definitely not challenging for anyone with SQL experience

By Mugdha h

Jun 27, 2020

This is such an important course yet there is no adequate room for practice. The lectures are pretty straight forward with very minimal examples. The quizzes are like diving into the lake learning how to swim from YouTube. Just like showing us in the class that two plus two is four then asking us to calculate the mass of the sun in the exam. What is the point of doing the course and learn most of the materials and get fluent from numerous other sites by myself? This course needs immense improvements. It did waste a lot of time for me given I have done numerous courses on this platform. I would suggest the other learners to refrain from enrolling in this course until University of California, Davis makes necessary amendments for this course with proper guidance and materials. Even if you do get enrolled, learn how to swim from YouTube and practice swimming on the floor beforehand. Best of luck.

By Kate W

Jun 12, 2020

Fortunately, this was not my first introduction to SQL, or I would have been unable to complete the final assignment, or even some of the modular quizzes. There is almost no hands-on learning, just talking head videos where the instructor doesn't even show you the actual coding syntax for many of the examples. Nothing builds or is linked together conceptually. And the SQLite interface is very limited, so when it comes to the over-complicated final assignment you have to perform coding backflips to get anything meaningful out of the appalling dataset. I cannot recommend this course to anyone.

By Chank C

Aug 12, 2020

Could you please give at least ***ONE EXAMPLE*** for each function introduced in lecture videos???

At week 3 & 4, more complex functions/features were introduced with ***JUST CODES, NO SAMPLE OUTPUT***!? How do you expect me to know what the output would be?

You may say I could run the code and to it myself, I learn better that way. True, BUT it is the situation of "1-minute job for you, but 10-minute job for me". You are leveling up the bar of who can benefit from the course - this should not be the case for beginner level course!

By Rashid S S

Jul 28, 2020

The course was not easy to understand. Because the lessons were not sufficient enough to understand the questions in quiz and final exams. I think if all the things are described in a more elaborate fashion with a lot of examples it would be easy for the learners. Actually in this course I've to relay more on google and internet rather than my course lessons which was very disappointing. I personally think this course is not for a beginner student who really wants to learn about sql.

By Octavio I

Jun 14, 2020

The Course examples were very little. Demonstration of new commands while teaching them would've been very helpful. But, there were little to no examples related to the teaching materials. There were gaps in concepts that required further reading to understand. Some syntaxes were used before being taught.

By Victoria A

Jul 14, 2020

I can't pay for the course to get certificate. The free 7 days subscriptions never ends. So I can't send the tests to get results and get the certificate.. Lost a lot of time... Too bad

By Treston W

This course is incredibly poorly designed and does not provide sufficient guidance to learn SQL.

By Rajnish K J

Jul 05, 2020

Most of the command line does not work.

By Mark P

Jan 03, 2018

I'm fairly proficient in R and wanted to add a database language to my data science repertoire. Most data science jobs ask for SQL so I thought this was the perfect starting point for learning. I found learning the language fairly straightforward, especially because many SQL-type commands are built into R packages (like dplyr). My job has a comprehensive relational database but, I usually use a point and click interface to make queries- now that I'm more proficient I'll start using SQL though. Additionally, I was hoping to pick up SQL before starting my grad program in analytics so I can "hit the ground running" and be ready for classes focused on database management and data engineering. I was able to accomplish this without any question.

I really liked the course, which is not surprising given all of Coursera's data science content is excellent. The final assignment was very thorough and helped put together lots of focused questions you might encounter using SQL as a data scientist. It really helped solidify my learning. For about $60, this was a no brainer for getting started in the language.

By vijay k d

Jan 04, 2020

DO Slowly, Build up. This is a wonderful course and you will not know when you have learnt so many things. The instructor is wonderful she explains things nicely. The people who have designed the course must be working professionals because Of their depth of understanding of the subject and knowledge.

The most interesting thing about the course is you will learn a few things in a module then try your hands on. you don't even need a laptop to code because they have integrated everything on the Coursera's platform. I have watched most of the videos on my smart phone and submitted a few assignments too.

and the last part of the journey through this course for me is realization. You solve the questions given in the peer graded assignment specially part 2 and for a person who Has been listening the terms like PREDICTION, SENTIMENT ANALYSIS kind of stuff , Learning a few lines of codes in SQL from this course has actually let me do them.

Wonderful course Amazing team