Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL
Aug 21, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

101 - 125 of 2,543 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By PhoebeNgg

Nov 19, 2019

This course is perfect for my level as a beginner. However, the real study time is more than 20hrs as it was supposed to be. To learn deeply and actually understand the content, there should be some effort to self-learn and practice the concept. It is useless if just watch the video and click multiple choices, you must go around on the Internet, read more materials, create your own example and practice the code.

By Meiling C

Mar 31, 2018

Clearly-explained, organised lecture flow and materials, easy to follow, not burdened with great details for beginners while emphases are made on crucial aspects of database management with SQL. The course fuels motivations for learning outside of the class. For a no confusion foundation on SQL, this is a great course as it really builds in me the confidence to claim a new skill and to take on my own project!!

By Olivia R

Oct 26, 2020

This course covers a lot of material, but I think it is set up well. The videos are very informative and really do help with the assignments. The only thing I would change is maybe having small practice coding questions after each video so students can test their knowledge right away and see if there is anything they need to review before moving on. I learned a lot and I'm excited to test out my new skills!

By Hardik K

Jul 31, 2020

Really enjoyed. Didn;t need to install anything, the practice questions were good. The best part was the peer graded assignment, i would have loved another peer graded assignment. But It was brilliantly taught by Sadie, also loved the fact that she gave many times her experience in real world project, that she use this a lot working on real time, this gave us a feel to the use of SQL in real world projects.

By Eslam M

Apr 14, 2020

thank you very very much for your excellent work with us and the many information data you given it to us , i learned so much in this course i understand why we use SQL and How use it and how it can help us to work with our data and how i can retrieve or filtering data , manipulating data , using mathematics operators , aggregation function , case statement and many ad many

By Sudheer N R

Jan 27, 2018

I accessed this course just to evaluate this as a potential course for my colleagues who have working knowledge of SQL (running stored procedures but not writing own queries). This course is good for anyone who does not even know what SQL is. I like the instructor too, her pace is adequate and ability to transfer knowledge is high. Definitely recommend this course to anyone who works on "data"

By Imantha A

Dec 16, 2019

The course was well structured and covered all the basics needed to know with SQL. The instructor was clear and taught in an understandable manner. Ability to run SQL queries on the same environment of quizzes and assignments should be highlighted. The only negative point is with peer graded assignment as some questions are not very clear and even the answer given for grading is not specific.

By Shreyansh M

Oct 22, 2019

A great course for anyone looking for the basics of basic stuff regarding SQL. The pacing is perfect for an introductory course as well as I am actually surprised how the assignments allow you to experiment with your own SQL codes as well as the last assignment which has questions which depend on how you would analyze the situation. Kudos to the teacher for making it a pleasurable experience!

By Tim

Sep 29, 2019

Up to this point, this is the best SQL course that I've ever taken. Not only does it give students a ton of practice with SQL code, but it also tests students on SQL and database concepts and on what to do in common SQL-related situations. In other words, this course covers both the "how" and the "why" with an ideal proportion for each instead of placing too much focus on just one of those.

By S S N

Jul 27, 2020

Pretty good course, will definitely help those who are wanted to learn basic fundamentals and key concepts of SQL to be used in Data Science life cycle. This course is pretty useful and most of required information has been covered in this course. If you are looking to learn basic aspects of SQL for Data Science, then this is definitely for you, just go for it and have fun learning !!!!

By Shreya S

May 15, 2020

This course is very interesting. It starts with basics and explains to a great extent. Every concept is clearly explained. I found the assignments very helpful. There is one practice assignment and then an assignment for grading for each module which is very helpful as question-level starts with basics and goes till advance covering every part of that topic.

I enjoyed doing this course.

By John K

Oct 5, 2020

The course was overall knowledgeable. It helped me to understand parts of SQL that wasn't clear for me. It was a lot or reading, videos to watch and a lot of coding. I for one prefer the coding, and that is what kept me going throughout the course. Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to take part in this course with coursera and I will be recommending this platform to my peers

By Laila B

Jul 7, 2020

Very good structured course, for me that was a beginner with no experience on SQL was very easy to understand things, some of the exercises were demanding for my personal experience but that's what help us too, get out of the comfort zone. I would recommend the course even to the one's that have experience working with SQL because of all the concepts we learn through the course.

By Chintan G

May 27, 2019

Overall it was a good course, I just wish it was in a different format. Instead of the instructor on the left and presentation on the right of the screen, I wish the instructor was not present on the screen and was using a pen to explain the concepts. Also, they could code more examples with the students on the screen, instead of showing us already written code as examples.

By italo r

Feb 26, 2021

Whether you're a beginner to SQL or you have prior knowledge you'd like to refresh, this course is a very complete, clear and hands-on way to exercise your SQL querying muscle. Sadie is a great instructor and provided me with a refreshing take on how to use the power of SQL and its possibilities. The datasets provided for the exercises, quizzes and assignments are great!

By Manjula K

Feb 21, 2021

An extremely comprehensive and well-structured course. Sadie St. Lawrence is an amazing instructor and articulates the course content in an effective manner. I do not possess a background in coding but this course helped me build my fundamentals in data science. Truly grateful to UC Davis, Sadie, and everyone involved in helping create such a great course. Thank you!

By Edgardo M

This really is a great place to start if you have no idea what you're doing. I did find it helpful to supplement this course with other materials (e.g., youtube videos), but that's to be expected and is even addressed by the prof. The coding practice is great, but you never practice creating tables for some reason, though not a huge deal. Very happy with the course!

By Amr F K

Jan 23, 2021

The course is really great. It gives a general introduction to SQL and it goes beyond this to deeper issues. All the assignments and projects are from real data which helps a lot to give an idea about what you will face in real life. I think by finishing this course and solving all the assignments and projects you will be ready to use SQL in real life applications.

By Zainab S

May 7, 2021

A beneficial course designed for beginners who want to learn SQL for data manipulation and analysis. The course content is well developed, and the assignments, especially the final YELP dataset task, prepare you well to apply your fresh learnings. I would highly recommend this course to anyone passionate about learning SQL, even if you have no previous background.

By Tan A

Jul 25, 2019

Great course. Accessible for a beginner but also had enough difficulty to make it challenging/useful. My only suggestion is having query results in the videos somehow. That will make the queries make a lot more sense and the overall content can be more digestible. Other than that, I recommend the course to anyone wanting to learn or strengthen some skills.

By Ritvik G

Jul 21, 2020

This course really helped me to understand basics of SQL and tech how to write SQL queries. Sadie St. Lawrence taught this course from basics covering each and every topic . Though I felt that the questions in the quizzes were a bit easy and could be made a little harder to give a more hands on experience.

Thank you Sadie St. Lawrence for this useful course.

By Meghraj P

Jun 1, 2020

The course starts with basics and gets you to the intermediate level of knowledge in SQL. The teaching method and the intermittent quizzes as well as hands-on coding assignments ensure that you thoroughly understand the course contents. I would recommend this for those who want to have basic to intermediate knowledge in SQL primarily for querying databases.

By Shuvmay C

Sep 30, 2018

Learning this has been fun, specifically the way this course is designed and the platform available for coding is very user friendly and easy to understand. The team has done a wonderful job in explaining the key concepts, special thanks to the instructor. Also the quizzes and coding questions are so designed that it helps you understand the basic concepts.

By Reza S

Jul 23, 2020

The course is quite comprehensive and understandable. Although the lecturer explains in a very slow fashion, it doesn't really bother me since we can speed up to 1.5x. I really like the final project that we have to solve but there are a few things to be improved: It's better to make a system that we can write queries directly while listening to the video.

By Xicen W

Dec 31, 2020

I really like the instructor Sadie. She introduce all concept but on an entry level basis, which makes this course situatable for new learners. After watch her 4 weeks videos and completed the practices, I also searched for more practices online such as W3school. I feel I am very comfortable to use some simple SQL command to pull out datasets at work now.