Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AT
Nov 17, 2020

Well it was a short course, the assignments are a little bit repetitive (mostly in the last). The course reviews every 'practical' aspects of SQL, how to assemble the bricks while writing queries,...

151 - 175 of 2,479 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Yossakorn K

Jun 13, 2020

I ever thought the programming languages were difficult to understand even a basic one like SQL. But after I enrolled this cause it changes my mind a lot. It's not really hard whether you pay intention and apply good tips from the instructor. Hopefully, It's my first step for continuing this kind.

By Dita A

Feb 2, 2019

I took this course due to a new project at work which involves checking the input data by querying it using SQL scripts. This course has really eased my job. It covers the basic stuff pretty thoroughly. I recommend this course to anyone who's just starting out (or aspiring) to be a Data Scientist.

By Yekaterina G

Jun 18, 2020

The course is great at introducing the basics of SQL. It is engaging, encouraging, and fun. I highly recommend it!!! There are some confusion points in the slides and assignments, but overall, there are minor. Very worth it -- I learned so much and feel more confident in using SQL in the future.

By Aubyn C

Dec 7, 2020

Really great SQL course for a total beginner. As someone that has attention deficit disorder, the formatting of the course is very ideal. First module give you a lot of history and context of SQL which I think is important for coding - very necessary to understand it's role in the real world!

By Saurabh S P

Jul 7, 2020

THe best course till now on coursera.No need to have knowledge of sql as it starts from the beginner level.The best course for beginners who want to learn sql.Best way of teaching as it provides quizzes and assignments at the end of module to test whether the learner has understand or not.

By Diego R G

Feb 24, 2020

I took another Data Science course from Michigan and it was horrible! I was concerned about going into this course, but it completely regained my faith in MOOCs and Coursera in general. This is a great course without question. Take your time on each assignment and you will learn a lot!

By SIDDHI R K

Sep 1, 2020

The instructor has explained the topics with so ease and lots of examples. The thing I loved about this course is the practice questions provided. They are well-tailored and helped me to understand the concepts well. A must course if you are looking to start learning SQL from scratch.

By Mithila H

Jul 22, 2020

It was a good start to the basics of SQL. I would request for inclusion of more sessions/videos in this course. These videos can enable students to gain deeper knowledge of SQL. Also, I request one to one sessions with the mentor. This will help in clarification of queries/doubts.

By Jason L

Apr 30, 2019

So far this course is great for introductory classes. I took IBM's SQL for Data Science and I had a bad experience. Here the course is very well structured with clear concepts at a well-taught speed. I highly recommend it. So far 5 stars. I'll update this review once I'm fully done

By Jeff M

Oct 21, 2020

SQL for Data Science is an excellent course for beginners or data professionals looking for an extensive refresher. The instructor Sadie St. Lawrence did an outstanding job teaching the material, keeping a steady pace, and motivating the students to learn and finish the materials.

By mark w

Dec 17, 2017

I enjoyed the course and learned a basic understanding of SQL. The final project is very difficult and seems geared more towards advanced SQL users. If this is your first exposure to SQL you will find the final project frustrating and you will need to refer to other texts to t

By Rainier G T

Aug 26, 2020

This course was really intensive and the course material is high-quality. The discussion and lectures were really helpful and straightforward. By far, the best course I had for learning SQL. I recommend this to everyone wanting to get familiar or diving into SQL as a start.

By Sergio G C

Dec 12, 2018

Loved this course. Easy to follow videos, they go straight to the point and you can practice queries right away from the first lesson. Gradually increases in difficulty and you end up doing a very interesting and helpfull assingment. I fell I earned all the basics in SQL.

By Rashi S

Jul 31, 2019

I liked the course and the way it was taught. Just a suggestion if possible for coding from the starting of the module till the end that is for the complete lectures practice questions can be given so that entire coding can be practiced. Thankyou for the great opportunity.

By Li F

Aug 5, 2020

The MCQ in between lectures is extremely helpful in keeping up to the content. I also especially enjoy the coding questions that are really practical in helping learners understand and execute the knowledge covered in the lecture. Overall great presentation and structure!

By Angelos S

Jan 4, 2020

It is a well structured and detailed course in terms of data analysis, SQL principles and differences between relational models (ER) and NoSQL. The difficulty level is between novice and intermediate and the instructor is very helpful and analytical. Overall recommended.

By Aurora S P

Nov 4, 2019

I believe this course is perfect to have a first approach towards SQL. Moreover I like how it relates to Data Scientists' context, and how it helps to understand Data Scientist's role and mindset. In general it was very useful and easy to follow lessons given by Sadie!

By Tina M

Jan 11, 2020

This was a great course, it provided me with great examples not just in the Instructor notes but in the side reading material that I have taken and created a review reference folder for future review. This is a great class and and I am glad it is apart of the program.

By Ana-Natalia M

Aug 20, 2020

A good amount of info for a basics course. I would have liked a bit more detail and examples when the more complicated concepts came in (joins, more specifically).

The final assignment is pretty challenging but interesting and satisfying once you reach your results.

By Azka A

Apr 29, 2020

It is a very good course for beginners who want to learn SQL. It starts from the very basics and no previous knowledge is required. The instructor is really great and the lectures are informative. It will benefit anyone who wants to start learning SQL from scratch.

By Kenneth L

Sep 8, 2020

I am very pleased with this course mentor as she has a very clear speech. The data is split into many small videos that are overall quite easy to digest. The tests and exam has forced me to learn the material in depth and leaves me with a sense of accomplishment.

By Ignacio G

Jul 25, 2019

I had already some experience with other databases and higher education on science and I founded it interesting enough, not very difficult, easy to follow, do not expect very challenging things. All in all, I have learned a lot and I am satisfied. I recommend it.

By asiri r s w

Jan 10, 2021

The lecturer is great and her pace of teaching and examples are worthwhile!!!! It's very easy to grasp the language if you have previous knowledge of a programming language but still the way and the pace she teaches can make anyone learn and fall in love in SQL.

By Amitayu B

Dec 8, 2020

This is one of the excellent courses that I have done with Coursera with lots of coding quizzes and a proper final week assignment. I had no idea about SQL last week, and now I have learned the basics of SQLite, data profiling, and data analysis in this course.

By Álvaro P

Aug 23, 2020

I think this course is amazing. They actually try to teach you very good quality information. They took their time to create good assignments and quizzes and a very challenging final assignment. I truly loved this course and I cannot wait to start the new one.