Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JG
Aug 22, 2021

I thought this course was great! Great introduction to Relational Databases and SQLite. Highly reccomend for anyone new to SQL, Databases, or someone looking to get started with a data science career.

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

201 - 225 of 2,949 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Asiri R S W

Jan 10, 2021

The lecturer is great and her pace of teaching and examples are worthwhile!!!! It's very easy to grasp the language if you have previous knowledge of a programming language but still the way and the pace she teaches can make anyone learn and fall in love in SQL.

By Amitayu B

Dec 8, 2020

This is one of the excellent courses that I have done with Coursera with lots of coding quizzes and a proper final week assignment. I had no idea about SQL last week, and now I have learned the basics of SQLite, data profiling, and data analysis in this course.

By Álvaro P

Aug 23, 2020

I think this course is amazing. They actually try to teach you very good quality information. They took their time to create good assignments and quizzes and a very challenging final assignment. I truly loved this course and I cannot wait to start the new one.

By Lukas S

Oct 26, 2020

I really enjoyed the course. I have started from almost no knowledge about SQL and this course was really a big help on my way to mastering the SQL! It's still a long way to go, but I recommend it to any beginner, who wishes to take a step in data analysis.

By Martin B

Feb 26, 2019

Another great class from Coursera - very helpful exercises and final assignment, both of which really helped in learning the content that was nicely presented by the instructor. Without writing a lot of queries, it's simply not possible to really learn SQL.

By Young J J

Jun 30, 2021

Simple but also has a great introduction to SQL, focused on relative models and analysing demonstartion by joining tables with ER-models of real life dataset. The only downside is that it doesn't teach about the data manipulation, only retrieving is taught

By Aiman F B C R

May 29, 2021

I managed to properly learned back all the basics and there are certainly some of the things I never learned at the university. Overall, the course was magnificent. I properly learned how to code and made a thorough analysis like a real life Data Scientist

By Rudra P D

Aug 16, 2020

This course provide a great application of sql in data analysis. The lecturer was great. I liked the way she explained even some difficult concepts such easily ,which increases your interest in data science.Thanks alot UC San diego for such a great course

By Ajay S

Jul 29, 2020

This is one of the best course available for learning SQL from scratch. Most of the part is explained thoroughly (Using "most of the part" because I felt "date & time" could have been explained into more details). Overall it's a good course to start with.

By Sairahul J

Jul 4, 2019

Coursera is good platform for beginners as well as people who work in industries.Right now I am planning to take another course in coursera.The course content and assignments are very well planned.Please convert subscription course into individual course

By PEDRO A A P

Jan 20, 2021

I love this course, It is interesting, easy to follow, and practical, you learn a lot of Data Bases and SQL. The videos and source of information are so explicative, it's so easy to learn and apply all this knowledge in the practice quizzes and projects.

By Christian P

Jan 27, 2020

I enjoyed the course. Well structured, good questions to check knowledge within courses/videos. I felt my experience in R definitely helped me understand this better, but I believe that the class structure absolutely helped me get the basics of SQL code.

By Vismay K G

Apr 23, 2020

I started this course with no knowledge and now I feel I can Profile and analyze few data. Best for Beginners. The Instructor is good with the way she educates us. Only Suggestion is Help Us Install any SQL software so that we can practice more offline.

By Pankaj K M

Jul 14, 2020

The course is really helpful to get a brief knowledge about SQL Queries & Several functions that are directly applied over SQL Queries. Even the course leads to a great work with data profiling & data analyzing at the end. Thank you Coursera :)..✌✌😇😇

By Daniel J

Sep 30, 2020

Fantastic introduction to SQL. So easy to follow, and I really appreciated the concept check questions as you're watching the video--even if I got the answer the first time, this really helped cement my understanding of the concepts I was learning.

By Daniela R L

Feb 12, 2021

I really like this class! The instructor is clear and explanations are good (I had to watch the videos x2 because it was a little slow)! the exercises were practicals and I liked how you could run the code within Coursera.. totally recommend it!!

By Anestis K

Sep 26, 2020

I learned everything of the most important programming language with only one MOOC . The course was so explainable from key terminology to SQL queries . I want to thank personally the coursera team and University of Davis for this amazing result.

By ZhiYuan H

Jan 14, 2020

This course was somewhat slow and theoretical in the first week, but starting from the second week, it became intensive and progressive. The final homework was extremely well designed, and it took a good amount of time for you to finish the test.

By Calvin W

Nov 6, 2019

Excellent course material and lecture for newbie like me. :) I have learned a lot new SQL skill on the class that I can apply in my Accounting / Finance career. I will continue use Coursera for my next data science class to build up my skill set.

By Andrew K J

Jun 16, 2019

This course is excellent for anyone interested in data analysis who wants a thorough introduction to SQL and who desires to learn specific SQL queries for pulling down and organizing data. The quizzes and final assignment provided great practice.

By Shrey P

May 17, 2021

This course is very beginner friendly. The concepts were explained well. Additional Reading materials were provided too in every module. In-video quiz, practice quiz and coding practice questions made it easier to revise concepts of each module.

By Carlos A G D

Jan 19, 2021

For me, it was an excellent course to have a first approach to the software. Some exercises or assignments are difficult compared to the level of the course; however, you should make your own research and give your additional effort to solve it.

By Rubén S C

Jan 7, 2018

The course provide a complete knowledge of SQL necessities... The explanations are clear and Tests are enough to get and mantain learning practices... I'm really enjoing the course and I thinks is usefull for my academic and professional profile

By Muhammed I

Oct 15, 2019

The only thing that i will suggest is adding the output table for many codes that was shown. For the ones which was shown it was pretty easy to understand the whole idea. Other than that course was great and final assignment was really helpful.

By Vicente L

Sep 25, 2020

I feel that I established a good knowledge base and added new elements in the environment of the related select statements, both with the design and mainly with the data analysis to obtain new and useful information from them.

Excelent, Thanks.