Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP
Apr 5, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL
Aug 21, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

2426 - 2450 of 2,491 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By Ligeng X

Sep 27, 2018

A little too easy, not challenging at all, given this is a beginner level class, I'll give it two stars. You could finish the whole course on Saturday if you get up early plus Sunday if you do not.

By Zoe

May 13, 2020

I wish that the instructor used examples that mirrored the type of questions in the coding exams. We did not cover all the material in the coding exam.

By Darren R

Sep 27, 2019

The structure and guidance provided on the final assignment was very poor, resulting in far more time required to complete than expected.

By Riccardo B

Mar 27, 2020

too much theory, I needed something more 'pratical' that allowed me to start using and write code and not see a lot of slide with code

By SARTHAK S

Oct 27, 2020

1.Very basic course.

2. Assignments level does not match with training level.

3. Need to provide class which includes query writing.

By Carolina E

Jun 24, 2019

The teacher was not readily available to answer questions. The course was alright but I do not feel prepared to use my skills yet.

By Mathias M

Mar 19, 2020

Very slow and badly organised start of the course with no to very little practice of how to use SQLite before the coding quiz.

By Seidler C

Apr 28, 2021

The first exercises are still ok. But the final exam is really a mess. The questions are not as precise as they should be.

By Yash K

Aug 5, 2020

Too much talking in videos with less examples. The exercises were vague and not enough information was given to solve them

By Bill P

Dec 1, 2020

The videos had the wrong emphasis, and were far too long.

More time should have been devoted to the exercises/quizzes.

By Christos A

Apr 23, 2020

Not satisfied. There are better MOOCs for SQL/Data Science out there. I wouldn't recommend it for a SQL beginner.

By Bram M

Mar 9, 2021

The course is good in itself, but answers circulate on the internet, making the certificate not very meaningful.

By Naomy A

Dec 16, 2019

there is a lot of questions about how the questions were asked, i highly recommend you do see the discussions

By Neeli K

Mar 3, 2020

Not enough examples were shared.

Certain concepts were explained without telling their underlying basics.

By Eslam R M A

Nov 3, 2018

There are few examples about every lesson, and may not have examples for some lessons

By Billy S

Jul 29, 2019

The presentation and speaker

By Adriana R

Apr 10, 2020

Not the best for beginners

By Inês M D C

Feb 21, 2020

Too hard

By Heiko K

Feb 25, 2020

The course is overall very high in quality and I found it really useful. The teacher explains the concepts really well and the exercises are very good. I really found joy doing the final course assignment. However, I feel that I got tricked into paying one more month of subscription, seconds after I paid for another month, I did receive the course certificate. I submitted the peer graded assignment one week ago. My plan was to continue with the other courses in this specialisation but after my experience with this subscription/payment philosophy, I will not discontinue and look for other online platforms with a better customer experience for me. Thank you nonetheless for the high quality of this course, I am certain many learners find the material extremely helpful, as did I.

By Sara F

Jan 3, 2020

Terrible and frustrating. My previous knowledge was literally zero, so I did learn something at the end,but the lectures are poor and non stimulating at all. Worst of all, the exercises are awful. Most of the time the task is not clear, there are no example to guide you and the material given in the lectures are most of the time totally useless. I felt very frustrated. Not a completely waste of time, but I would never recommend this course to anyone. I really wanted to learn something, but everything was against it. I speak to the creator of this class, seriously try to do this course pretending you are new to this topic. I will be clear it is very very very bad designed.

By Noel C

Sep 30, 2019

The first two weeks were easy to follow along with. Unfortunately after that the course was severely lacking. There were not good explanations of things and new things would be added in that hadn’t been covered. When you post questions the mentors aren’t much help and the students will try to answer if they can. There’s also no way to practice. I also would’ve found it nice to see the tables they were pulling their “examples” from. I had to use other resources to actually study and learn SQLite. I’m assuming the people who gave this course a high score are already familiar with SQLite and just wanted the certificate.

By Helena B

Mar 3, 2021

First thing the instructor said was this course is for beginners. I am a beginner so I signed up. There are so many references I did not understand, no step by step explanation of how to find the data required to pass the exams so ended up looking for answers on the forum. Only way I managed to get through the third week was because my husband new how to use python and he helped me find correct answers - which were different to the ones we were given.

New steps were brought in without any basic explanation, again an indication that prior knowledge is needed.

Awful and disheartening

By Jay P

Jan 16, 2021

Pretty useless course, especially for someone looking to audit (learn for free). Well I would be livid if I actually paid for this.

Without a text editor in the course, you are trying to learn SQL via slideshow basically. There is no way to learn SQL without practicing. I switched to Codecademy's SQL course as it's much better because of the the text editor. They teach you and you practice with actual syntax and commands rather than stupid quiz questions. I still use some of the videos to better understand some concepts but only after I practice/learn them in Codecademy.