Back to Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation by Northwestern University

Join us as we explore the fundamental principles and early stages of teaching violin and viola through a series of engaging video lectures and lesson demonstrations, including: 1) Master classes with some of the world’s top string pedagogues, 2) Individual lesson demos of teaching violin/viola set up, left and right hand technique and pieces from the early violin/viola repertoire, 3) Group lesson demos of teaching music theory, ear training and fun activities that encourage good playing habits, and 4) A “field trip” to the violin shop, where we will outfit a new beginning student with a proper instrument and bow. You’ll also engage in a series of discussions and reflections with colleagues and peers across the globe. Upon completion of this course, we hope you’ll return to your studio with confidence, a new curriculum, and a renewed approach to sharing with your students the joyful experience of making beautiful music....

RM

Mar 29, 2018

I learned some and revisited many concepts pertaining to teaching violin and viola, and also learn many new songs similar to the Suzuki book 1 songs. The videos are well made, and to the point.

MH

Mar 15, 2017

An amazing course that was just what I was looking for as a violinist who is interested in learning to teach. My kids are working through the curriculum now and we are all having a great time!

1 - 25 of 45 Reviews for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

By Jonathan G

Feb 11, 2018

I learned a lot but I feel this course was really more for teachers rather than learning to play the violin. I still learned a lot since I've always learn more about music and how to read music.

By Ramiro M

Mar 29, 2018

By Jolandi H

Nov 04, 2018

Very comprehensive! Helpful and you will defiantly learn various skill sets in teaching the violin and viola!!

By Matthew T

May 26, 2018

Immensely helpful for improving my teaching technique. I have a few years teaching experience, while having played violin for about 23 years (serious amateur), and this course provided much needed structure and reasoning to my teaching skill set. Thank you!

By Megan B

Jul 27, 2016

This course has been immensely helpful in teaching how to teach the violin. I recently started teaching violin lessons and I am so much more confident about instructing my students correctly from the beginning, thanks to this course. It was fantastic to see the teaching happening, making the course practical, not just theoretical. Thank you!

By Ahsan K

Aug 20, 2015

this course looks like for kids ... but this is not - we adults can learn way too many things too - totally recommended - very well conducted and informational - thanks!

By Marlena B

Jul 07, 2016

Ms. Spencer and the team are wonderful; the videos are well produced, and all the handouts and music with accompaniment have been priceless.

By Harshavardhan B

Feb 22, 2019

I love this course

By Naren R B

Nov 16, 2015

Best course for music teachers and students as well. From this course one can learn basic to advanced things and proper method to play the instrument. The instructor also teaches the lessons interestingly in a new way, and shares many good different techniques to learn by heart the tunes.

By Raul C

Sep 19, 2015

Excellent and very complete class

By Malorie H

Mar 15, 2017

By Cecile A D

Oct 14, 2015

This MOOC has taught me new ways to approach violin teaching, especially with younger kids. It showed the basic principles as well as different skills and techniques that are essential/ important in teaching and playing. It gave a wide variety of fun exercises for students. This course gave me new insight in violin teaching that I can confidently apply with my students.

By Gourav D

M

E

By Cathy G

Jan 01, 2016

So thorough and informative!

By Gandhy F H T

Nov 14, 2015

Excelente herramienta educativa

By Tatiana E S

Nov 15, 2015

Great course!

By David L

Mar 17, 2016

top knotch! great learning tools and instruction was easy to follow! Thank you!

By Nguyen T T

Aug 07, 2015

This course is wonderful not only for violin teachers but also for students who are apt to self-study. The instructive videos are very concise, informative and well-organized. The musical examples are among the best for the demonstrated techniques.

By Natouchka M F

Nov 10, 2015

Very EXCELLENT course

By Samuel M

Dec 02, 2015

I am very grateful for Stacia Spencer and Northwestern University for taking the time to put this course on Coursera. The videos, google hangouts, and supplementary materials have been incredibly helpful and opened my eyes to another side of violin pedagogy.

By Elizabeth W

Nov 10, 2015

An excellent resource for violin teachers!!!

By 张旭雷

Nov 08, 2015

It's very helpful. I'm so luckily to meet this course.

By Janeth R

Nov 05, 2015

I am really satisfied with the class. I love your teaching techniques. Thank you really.

By Jimhwa W

Nov 13, 2015

对打基础真的非常有用和实在!

By Lesley A V

Sep 25, 2017

Spectacular course! I am actually studying the violin so this course has actually taught me some very important things that I'd never come across before! The teacher is extremely thorough and goes at a good pace so I believe it is perfect for both students and teachers. :-)