Back to Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation by Northwestern University

Join us as we explore the fundamental principles and early stages of teaching violin and viola through a series of engaging video lectures and lesson demonstrations, including: 1) Master classes with some of the world’s top string pedagogues, 2) Individual lesson demos of teaching violin/viola set up, left and right hand technique and pieces from the early violin/viola repertoire, 3) Group lesson demos of teaching music theory, ear training and fun activities that encourage good playing habits, and 4) A “field trip” to the violin shop, where we will outfit a new beginning student with a proper instrument and bow. You’ll also engage in a series of discussions and reflections with colleagues and peers across the globe. Upon completion of this course, we hope you’ll return to your studio with confidence, a new curriculum, and a renewed approach to sharing with your students the joyful experience of making beautiful music....

RM

Mar 29, 2018

I learned some and revisited many concepts pertaining to teaching violin and viola, and also learn many new songs similar to the Suzuki book 1 songs. The videos are well made, and to the point.

MH

Mar 15, 2017

An amazing course that was just what I was looking for as a violinist who is interested in learning to teach. My kids are working through the curriculum now and we are all having a great time!

1 - 25 of 44 Reviews for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

By Jonathan G

Feb 11, 2018

I learned a lot but I feel this course was really more for teachers rather than learning to play the violin. I still learned a lot since I've always learn more about music and how to read music.

By Megan B

Jul 27, 2016

This course has been immensely helpful in teaching how to teach the violin. I recently started teaching violin lessons and I am so much more confident about instructing my students correctly from the beginning, thanks to this course. It was fantastic to see the teaching happening, making the course practical, not just theoretical. Thank you!

By Matthew T

May 26, 2018

Immensely helpful for improving my teaching technique. I have a few years teaching experience, while having played violin for about 23 years (serious amateur), and this course provided much needed structure and reasoning to my teaching skill set. Thank you!

By Ramiro M

Mar 29, 2018

By Jolandi H

Nov 04, 2018

Very comprehensive! Helpful and you will defiantly learn various skill sets in teaching the violin and viola!!

By Harshavardhan B

Feb 22, 2019

I love this course

By Janeth R

Nov 05, 2015

I am really satisfied with the class. I love your teaching techniques. Thank you really.

By Jimhwa W

Nov 13, 2015

对打基础真的非常有用和实在!

By 张旭雷

Nov 08, 2015

It's very helpful. I'm so luckily to meet this course.

By Marlena B

Jul 07, 2016

Ms. Spencer and the team are wonderful; the videos are well produced, and all the handouts and music with accompaniment have been priceless.

By Samuel M

Dec 02, 2015

I am very grateful for Stacia Spencer and Northwestern University for taking the time to put this course on Coursera. The videos, google hangouts, and supplementary materials have been incredibly helpful and opened my eyes to another side of violin pedagogy.

By Elizabeth W

Nov 10, 2015

An excellent resource for violin teachers!!!

By Isabelle R

Jul 24, 2017

Excellent course, very well developed and systematic with curriculum.

By Fernando R

Feb 22, 2016

exelente

By Mariana C

Oct 15, 2016

Se me hizo interesante conocer las estrategias del violín, para aprender a tocarlo de una manera fácil y con menos posturas que a la larga nos dañen o nos cansen a la hora de tocar. =)

By Erin P

Jan 13, 2018

Wonderful course! Take it!

By Etelka N

Dec 09, 2016

Incredibly helpful. Thank you.

By Ahsan K

Aug 20, 2015

this course looks like for kids ... but this is not - we adults can learn way too many things too - totally recommended - very well conducted and informational - thanks!

By María F B R

Jul 18, 2016

I loved it

By Jian Y

Oct 26, 2015

The early stage of violin learning is usually thought to be much more difficult than any other kinds of instruments such as piano. I had not expected that violin could be taught so smoothly in such a systematic and scientific way until I enrolled in this course. Ms Spencer introduced a series of skills not only to prevent those common bad habits but also to make the violin learning so fascinating especially for young kids.

By Cecile A D

Oct 14, 2015

This MOOC has taught me new ways to approach violin teaching, especially with younger kids. It showed the basic principles as well as different skills and techniques that are essential/ important in teaching and playing. It gave a wide variety of fun exercises for students. This course gave me new insight in violin teaching that I can confidently apply with my students.

By Gourav D

M

E

By Lesley A V

Sep 25, 2017

Spectacular course! I am actually studying the violin so this course has actually taught me some very important things that I'd never come across before! The teacher is extremely thorough and goes at a good pace so I believe it is perfect for both students and teachers. :-)

By Daniel M B

Apr 05, 2016

Great Course, a lot of tools and information, very well presented

By Naren R B

Nov 16, 2015

Best course for music teachers and students as well. From this course one can learn basic to advanced things and proper method to play the instrument. The instructor also teaches the lessons interestingly in a new way, and shares many good different techniques to learn by heart the tunes.