Back to Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation by Northwestern University

Join us as we explore the fundamental principles and early stages of teaching violin and viola through a series of engaging video lectures and lesson demonstrations, including: 1) Master classes with some of the world’s top string pedagogues, 2) Individual lesson demos of teaching violin/viola set up, left and right hand technique and pieces from the early violin/viola repertoire, 3) Group lesson demos of teaching music theory, ear training and fun activities that encourage good playing habits, and 4) A “field trip” to the violin shop, where we will outfit a new beginning student with a proper instrument and bow. You’ll also engage in a series of discussions and reflections with colleagues and peers across the globe. Upon completion of this course, we hope you’ll return to your studio with confidence, a new curriculum, and a renewed approach to sharing with your students the joyful experience of making beautiful music....

RM

Mar 29, 2018

I learned some and revisited many concepts pertaining to teaching violin and viola, and also learn many new songs similar to the Suzuki book 1 songs. The videos are well made, and to the point.

MH

Mar 15, 2017

An amazing course that was just what I was looking for as a violinist who is interested in learning to teach. My kids are working through the curriculum now and we are all having a great time!

26 - 50 of 54 Reviews for Teaching the Violin and Viola: Creating a Healthy Foundation

By Janeth R

Nov 05, 2015

I am really satisfied with the class. I love your teaching techniques. Thank you really.

By David L

Mar 17, 2016

top knotch! great learning tools and instruction was easy to follow! Thank you!

By Pu J

Very helpful approaches to teach children and older students, thank you!

By Isabelle I

Jul 24, 2017

Excellent course, very well developed and systematic with curriculum.

By Daniel M B

Apr 05, 2016

Great Course, a lot of tools and information, very well presented

By 张旭雷

Nov 08, 2015

It's very helpful. I'm so luckily to meet this course.

By Elizabeth W

Nov 10, 2015

An excellent resource for violin teachers!!!

By Shunyo M

Aug 25, 2019

Can not wait to continue........thanks...

By Elizabeth J

May 17, 2019

Very in depth! Highly reccomended

By Raul C

Sep 19, 2015

Excellent and very complete class

By Gandhy F H T

Nov 14, 2015

Excelente herramienta educativa

By Etelka N

Dec 09, 2016

Incredibly helpful. Thank you.

By Cathy G

Jan 01, 2016

So thorough and informative!

By Erin P

Jan 13, 2018

Wonderful course! Take it!

By Natouchka M F

M

E

By Robyn J

Jun 15, 2017

The course is set up very well--the handouts provided are excellent, the videos are fun and informative, and the peer review activities are a great way to get feedback and also see other students' ideas and points of view. The reason it gets 4 instead of 5 stars is because, when I took the course, there was some trouble getting timely feedback from the peer graders (and delayed feedback will negatively affect your grade). Also, this is a tiny thing, but the Vivaldi music at the beginning and end of every single video got old really quickly, especially since there's a mistake in the recording.

By Ida E

Jul 06, 2020

Would have been nice with more viola. Sometimes the submission-shareable links do not work. Also, sometimes peers give a bad grade without explanation. That makes it unnecessary hard to complete the course. In all, a really great course! I will return to the info provided in the course and continue learning from its content. Thank you!

By BARBARA B C S

Jun 03, 2016

This pedagogy course is great, but I think it is missing real students learning the current lesson... I feel that the students try just one, and make it perfect, they already know... The teacher could show us how to eliminate their difficulties... Almost 5 stars!