Back to Advanced Instructional Strategies in the Virtual Classroom

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Instructional Strategies in the Virtual Classroom by University of California, Irvine

Welcome to Advanced Instructional Strategies in the Virtual Classroom! This course will help you apply strategies to the critical areas of K-12 virtual instruction to significantly impact virtual education. We will examine the pitfalls beginning teachers run into and learn how to overcome them by focusing on the fundamentals that have the greatest impact on student learning in a blended or online environment. By the end of the course, you will be able to empower your students to be voracious learners who are ready to go out and make the world a better place to live. Upon completing this course, you will be able to: • Identify the role of direct instruction within a virtual course. • Establish direct communication and meaningful relationships with your students.  • Use instructional strategies that motivate and challenge your students to think more critically. • Define at-risk students and examine effective strategies for teaching this demographic. • Build an inclusive and thriving online community with students, parents, and other teaching professionals....

BD

Jul 13, 2020

Excellent, Excellent course for teachers. Learned many things not only for the virtual classroom but also for classroom sessions. Video sessions by Mr.Chris Long are awesome with plenty of insights.

DA

Jun 24, 2016

An outstanding course. Thoughtful with unique insights into some of the challenges of the virtual classroom with realistic suggestions on how to approach them.

1 - 25 of 116 Reviews for Advanced Instructional Strategies in the Virtual Classroom

By Zakaria A

Apr 14, 2020

Need an update for materials, There is a problem in the assignment

By Ioulia P

Apr 28, 2020

I don’t recommend this course. Most of the links recommended are broken. The speaker provides only few information. It offers you many videos and some articles with a lot of information. I have to admit it that I only benefit from the links that I managed to open. It was just ok. Nothing special compared to the others seminars of this course.

Jun 24, 2016

By Leslie K

May 29, 2016

The BEST course in this series by far! This is a real model of what I hope to achieve with my own online courses. Finally!

By HANEESH K M

Apr 23, 2020

The course will be a good option for teachers who teach in schools, it describes the aspects of online teaching, how to get the attention of students, and how to ensure diversity in classes. The instructor was explaining things in a better and simpler way.

By Nicole L H

Oct 17, 2017

The videos were engaging and thought-provoking, but the information would have more credibility if more scholarly resources were listed to support it. Assessments did examine if students were paying attention, but they could have been improved by aligning with the assessment styles being taught in the course.

By Juan H B S

Feb 15, 2018

The contents were good, they motivate you to do different things in the virtual classroom and the resources were interesting to apply them for various subjects.

By Joris d J

Apr 18, 2018

Unfortunately not all features are still active.

By Renee A

Mar 26, 2019

While the information is good the tone is very informal and feels very unprepared. Plus, there are no longer discussion boards.

By Oula A

Jun 10, 2020

The course was interesting but most of the electronic resources are not available anymore.

the course needs a thorough update

By Janice M

Jan 09, 2020

The BIG problem is that no peers were available to review my assignment for a long time.

By YOGESH I

May 15, 2020

Excellent course. learnt a lot to create better virtual learning experience for the students.Thank you so much.

By Regina J

Nov 24, 2019

This one was better. At least he was trying to be interesting. However, there is no one there to peer review your assignments, and you cannot peer review assignment. Boo to Orange County.

By Chanen M

Nov 21, 2019

Too generic to be advanced course.

By Dr. P B J

Sep 01, 2020

It was a highly advanced course on virtual teaching strategies. Particularly, the peer assignment in the course allows the learner to orient towards advanced tools to be put forth in the classroom. Quizzes were adequately challenging and loved taking them. However, the only pointer that can be worked on is providing more web-based resources to read during the course and more number of questions in the quizzes. Overall, enjoyed learning and looking forward to putting them into practice.

By María D M L

Nov 10, 2016

I am so glad I took this course! I have learnt what I consider very important aspects of virtual teaching such as identifying at-rist students or building a community with the students that engages them in the learnig. I have also had to learn how to produce a video for the students which I will use for my online course and I have also become aware of the importance of the QFT for deepening the learning of my students. Thank you so much Chris!

By Ellen M

Sep 30, 2020

Chris Long has a fun and soothing teaching style.

I enjoyed the course, especially the use of his basketball analogies - as I did play

Women's Basketball in my High School Days.

P.S. I have yet to READ any of my PEER REVIEWS - in Module 1, Module 2, and Module 3.

I don't see where I can VIEW the comments or DOWNLOAD the comments for reflection.

Any help with this?

Thank you for a thoughtful course.

Ellen McCormick

By Philipp T

Jul 27, 2020

It is quite obvious that the instructor has his experiences with teenagers. I like his idea to make the whole lesson allegorical by comparing it with being a basketball coach. So I honestly enjoyed it. Also it is evident that these strategies are not only for Americans. I would have only given 2 options as peer assignments and make the instructions clearer.

By Mary F

Jul 07, 2020

I enjoyed the classes and learned a lot. Everything was practical and applicable.

One disappointing element was the unavailability of the exemplars cited by the lecturers. It would be great to see these - it makes the classes look very inferior to the first time around versions where lecturers shared their products and student examples as well.

By Catherine B

Jul 29, 2019

This course was very helpful to me. I connected my thinking to some aspects of virtual learning that are not obvious to and my learning/teaching style. Creating a project allowed me to stretch myself. I realize I have more to do and learn. I had been apprehensive but the project really broke the ice for me.

By Joanne L

Jul 23, 2020

This was a fantastic course and so helpful right now while we teach in such new and difficult circumstances. You can do this! Good teaching is good teaching in person or online- but the skills you can learn in this course will help you be a better teacher in both situations!!

By Marcos V M d S

Dec 30, 2017

I enjoyed every week. The course is very useful and provides a clear view of the subject. Instructions are easy to understand, and the instructor was superb. Thank you to our instructor Mr. Chris Long.

By dbaskar E

Jul 13, 2020

By Adriana H

Jun 21, 2020

Muy buen contenido, motivador y con explicaciones claras. Se ve que el curso se preparó hace mucho, pues algunos recursos que recomienda ya no están disponibles. De todas formas, lo recomiendo.

By zahid.memon D

Aug 09, 2020

This course will help you ‘up’ your game and develop the advanced level skills and techniques that elude even some of the most experienced virtual teachers.