Back to The Technology of Music Production

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Technology of Music Production by Berklee College of Music

Learn about the music production process—including recording, editing, and mixing—and the tools available to you to create contemporary music on your computer. With the recent introduction of high-quality-low-cost software and hardware, the tools of music production are now available to the masses. Albums are made in bedrooms as well as studios. On the surface this is liberating. Anyone can make an album for the low cost of a couple pieces of gear and a software package. But, if you dig deeper, you will find that it is not so easy. Producing music requires knowledge, dedication, and creativity. Knowledge is where this course comes in. No matter what kind of music you are making, there is a large set of tools that you will need to use. Each lesson of this course will demonstrate a different set of music production tools, loosely following along the music production process of recording, editing, and mixing. We will start with some background on the nature of sound and how we perceive it. We will then examine the components necessary to record audio into a computer, so that you understand the devices that sound must travel through in a music production process. Once recorded, sound must be organized along a timeline, a process known as editing. It allows us to give the impression of perfect performances and create many of the sounds we hear in contemporary music. The contemporary editing tool is the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), a piece of software that stores and organizes all the assets of a musical project. We will focus on the editing tools that are essential in contemporary music production and that all DAWs provide. After editing, sounds must be combined or mixed together, so we look to the mixing board—a very creative place if you know how to use it. We will explore the basic functionality of both hardware and software mixing boards, including volume, pan, mute, solo, busses, inserts, sends, and submixes. The mixing process, however, includes more tools than the mixing board provides on its own. Sound must also be processed, modified from its recorded state to fit the context of the music. We will look at compression, equalization, and delay, and examine the many audio effects that are offshoots of these devices and how they are used in a musical context. In the end, the music production process relies on your creativity. Creativity is a product of the mind and will stay there, unexpressed, until the right tools are used in the right way to share it with the world. If you have an idea in your head, it will take numerous steps, each with an important tool, to reach your audience. You bring the dedication and creativity, and this course will bring you the knowledge to make that happen....

JJ
Feb 7, 2021

This course gave me a working knowledge of the many parameters of a DAW. I really have a base knowledge to continue my studies and not get frustrated with mental blocks in navigation of the software.

PV
Jun 25, 2017

WOW, Awesome course Loudon! I'm learning lots of stuff I never knew, very much in depth and it takes me to the source of things I already knew but ignored where they generated from. Love it!

251 - 269 of 269 Reviews for The Technology of Music Production

By Hielmi A

Jun 6, 2017

Overall I felt this to be an excellent course, covering many aspects of Music Technology, in sufficient detail for students to gain a basic all round understanding of the subject.

By Austin W

Dec 18, 2018

A well established & detailed class about music tech its very much opened my mind to the DAW and how it can apply for my own sound design. :^J

By Francis G

Mar 8, 2018

Great foundational course. Lectures and content well curated and presented. Coursework is lacking imagination somewhat

By EMMANUEL O T

Mar 9, 2021

Very great course , will recommend it to everybody who wants to learn more about music production tech.

By Gustavo D d A

Sep 17, 2020

An excellent course. Just need to talk a little bit about mastering to be absolutely perfect. Congrats

By aditya

Jul 18, 2020

A great and detailed explanation of the basics of sound and instruments required for music production.

By Dhruv D

May 20, 2017

Great stuff! But can go a bit more into depth about music production itself.

By Eugene L

Apr 29, 2019

Presentations are annoying. Information is wonderful.

By JUAN S L D

Oct 17, 2018

Good course. Lack of help in the discussion Forums.

By Deborah

Dec 4, 2016

i guess it was great - but so technical and hard!!!

By Daniel S

Dec 5, 2018

Definitely lots of helpful material!

By James c

By Jairo B

Mar 28, 2017

good course!!!

By Francisco T O C

It is a great course, broad and practical at the same time. You might have some trouble getting the key concepts out form the instructor´s speech, but the overall course is great.

By Alexandr B

Oct 20, 2020

Thought it would be deeper and more interesting things or hints, however it's just a technical course, to understand the basis of stuff i use everyday :)

By Michael G

Jan 14, 2021

I believe that this was an extremely informative course, but the presenter could have spoken less than he did. I felt he was too verbose.

Mr. Stearns would be very helpful in a classroom; he speaks at length about these concepts, and he would definitely benefit from the in-person aspect of these lessons. However, his lessons often would include him talking at length about these concepts, but never really *saying* anything. I would find myself reading the transcript rather than the video, because there was no visual stimulation or practical examples for these lessons.

If anything, I believe a course like this would much benefit from more real-world examples. Maybe having more examples in a DAW, or plugging in a guitar and showing how each effect changes the instrument's tone rather than just showing a pre-recorded song and saying "This thing does this thing".

Despite all of the negativity I wrote on this review, however, this course really did help me pursue my passion for music. I did learn a lot about audio design, but it took me longer than I expected I did. If I ever came off as rude during this review, please forgive me. It was not my intention.