Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

LH
Aug 21, 2020

Great fun way of learning about personal thought processing, attitudes and well-being.\n\nVery helpful course to get me to assess my life and how to make the changes I needed to improve my well-being.

GK
Jun 2, 2019

I have taken a dozen courses online. This is the most challenging and fulfilling course I have taken so far. And I believe that the course shall be beneficial to all people in different walks of life.

51 - 75 of 9,701 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Eric J

Jul 7, 2020

Information is mostly repetitive like the graphs and the data for example. Another thing is that the graphs are way too much and should be toned down and it is not interesting at all along with adding politics into the well being which makes no sense in my opinion respectively. Overall I give this course a 2 out of 5 and it could have been better with less information that is repetitive.

By Daniel L

I think there is too much hype over the course and the delivery was really just normal. Perhaps is the current global situation that drives the demand of enrollment.

It serves as a good reminder on what really matters in life.

By Alejandra

Apr 15, 2020

This is a class recorded, that is not online learning and the topic of this course demands more energy from the instructor. I've had better learning experiences regarding this theme.

By CMurt

Jan 10, 2020

none of this advice applies for people with schizophrenia

By Anita R

Jan 20, 2020

Great course! Very practical tools based on scientific research. The professor was clear and had fun slides.

One distracting and slightly annoying part of the class was the number of times the professor said "Yale" in every single lecture. I think I counted 6 times in one lecture. I can't remember a single professor from my Columbia courses concerned about our self-esteem so much to remind us every day that we were at Columbia. Plus, with this being a class about social comparison, constantly remind Coursera students that they're not at Yale isn't exactly effective.

Even so - that was a minor thing and I did really enjoy this class. I'd recommend making the app a little easier to track, for example being able to auto-fill items for today that you did yesterday. I meditated every day but after a while, I stopped tracking it in the app because I didn't like having to fill out a new event each time. Also - it asks to connect to an account but I don't want anyone seeing my data except Yale researchers.

By Cary M

Mar 29, 2020

Thank you professor Santos. It was a great course and I learned so much and the extra readings are great. I just started my blog "Motivate Yourself Daily" to help others learn ways of changing their thoughts and living a happier and more success life.

If you offer any other courses in this subject topic, please let me know. I would take them all. Any other book suggestions are always welcomed.

Thank you again!

By Alicia d l P d L

Mar 21, 2020

I really have learned a lot.

The videos are kind of long sometimes, but I've enjoyed the activities.

What I liked the most was the app.

I will keep on using it.

And I'd like to know if some time soon the teacher will share the results of her research in an article or a paper. Please keep us updated.

By Nita-May W

Sep 29, 2019

I successfully completed and passed the science of wellbeing course on my mobile phone. Thank you Professor Santos for your valuable insights, your style of tutoring enabled me to enjoy learning about the various topics you presented. The Yale student community forums were also amazing.

By Amey C

Mar 17, 2020

Great course! I definitely will carry the learnings from this course in my daily life, and am looking forward to continuing with the rewirements.

Definitely recommend this to everyone who wants to learn (or re-learn) to be happy.

By 215 S P

Aug 20, 2020

This is an outstanding course! I was able to change into a more positive and productive mindset as taught in this course. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of your profession or background.

By M F

Jun 19, 2020

Highly practical and applicable, you will be Doing, not just Listening. You'll have the opportunity to test your 'before' and 'after' levels of happiness - mine increased significantly.

By Celena M

Mar 26, 2020

I have suggested this course and provided the link to my part-time family at my second job because during this time of COVID-19, we could all use some motivation and re-wiring.

By Laurette W

Jul 2, 2020

Life-changing experience. The various methods of adult learning and how it was applied was the best experience I have ever had in professional career.

By Szandra v H

Mar 27, 2020

Wonderful course! Health begins with a healthy mind: a positive mind that sees the beauty in everyday life and in the people around us.

By Angela M

Mar 26, 2020

Fantastic course. What a gift you give the world!

By Erika K

Feb 23, 2019

Very good class. I do wish it was a bit more intellectually challenging. I'm not sure if it was made palatable for the general public or if this is the level of instruction at Yale.

By Liron S

Oct 2, 2019

Learned few interesting and useful things from the course, but found it to be somewhat boring. Also, in order to get a certificate there is a need to review a peer final work submission, the system didn't capture review that I did and now I have to come back and look for one to review since none exist now (improve the software Coursera and also create notification based on a queue).

By Timothy S

Apr 13, 2020

The course seems to plod along with a fair amount of self-aggrandizing and Yale-aggrandizing but none of the content is very weighty or coherent. The teacher uses no materials or exhibition tools to presents the course content.

By Tyson K

Nov 5, 2019

Little bit fluffy, i wouldnt call alot of this psychology science. more theory than anything.

By shilpa

May 29, 2019

Went too fast and did not find engaging

By Connie k

Jan 11, 2020

Very hard to maneuver and some links don't work

A group of us wanted to take but I'm discouraged.

Reset password several times.

Course interrupted by sales a lot

Couldn't get in to Character strengths at all

Couldn't get in to Character Strengths

By Jen M

Jun 12, 2020

Do not purchase the certificate, the course is great but the certificate is a dud you print off yourself. For $70 I need a seal otherwise my son could’ve made me a better one.

By Isabelle H S

Jun 30, 2020

I worked so hard and find it sad that I did all that work but there was no certificate to celebrate finishing?

By Jagannathan A

Dec 23, 2020

I was into Positive Psychology for the last 2 years. I had read Positivity, Flourish, Thinking Fast and Slow,Insight, Emotional Intelligence, Happiness at Work etc. When the State and the Citizens of many countries ,including India(where I come from) started showing Gratitude to the HealthCare workers, Doctors, Sanitation workers, Police and the like, I started looking into State Gratitude to a community of service providers. In the process, I tumbled across this Program. That too from Yale! And Free! A God-send, I feel.

This program is an integration of different developments in Psychology at different points of time by different researchers and moulded into one of Well Being, for all the people. It gives the Modus Operandi to become Happier, much more than Wishing A Happy New Year or A Happy Married Life which are well meaning rituals.

There is a lot to learn from this program and lucky are those who learn them at a younger age. They can consciously lead a happy life. I am trying to spread the benefits of this program in my circle through Facebook, WhatsApp and email through a summary (article) I have made.

And, everybody in this world is craving for happiness : if only they know of this program, they will be better off.

By Anamika S

Mar 23, 2020

Firstly, Laurie Santos kept us all engaging and enthralled throughout the whole course. I just loved her! Secondly i have never enjoyed peer interaction about the course and the peer viewing sessions were one of my favorite things! I have started to look at happiness through a different pair of lens and will continue to debate with my mind about the misconceptions and miswantings we all crave. This course is such a subtle and nice course where you can just listen to all the studies and the statistics just shocked me. My whole life no one has taught me the things we all are satisfied or content with. I learnt so much about HEDONIC ADAPTATION(which is my fav part) and lots of things which are eye-openers. I discussed about these psychological aspects with my friends and family and they loved the concepts as well! Thank you YALE! Thank you Ms. Santos! It was such a pleasure doing this course and knowing you. I have recommended to my friends and they will join in no time!