Back to The Science of Well-Being

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Well-Being by Yale University

In this course you will engage in a series of challenges designed to increase your own happiness and build more productive habits. As preparation for these tasks, Professor Laurie Santos reveals misconceptions about happiness, annoying features of the mind that lead us to think the way we do, and the research that can help us change. You will ultimately be prepared to successfully incorporate a specific wellness activity into your life. THE SCIENCE OF WELL BEING WAS PRODUCED IN PART DUE TO THE GENEROUS FUNDING OF THE DAVID F. SWENSEN FUND FOR INNOVATION IN TEACHING....

SN
Aug 27, 2020

This is an outstanding course! I was able to change into a more positive and productive mindset as taught in this course. I highly recommend it to everyone regardless of your profession or background.

PS
Aug 19, 2020

51 - 75 of 8,861 Reviews for The Science of Well-Being

By Laura C

Mar 27, 2020

PLEASE STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT TO BUY THE CERTIFICATE.

I'm only in part 1 of this course and it's enough to make me drop it.

I'm only choosing 2 stars now bc it won't let me proceed without picking an amount. I'll know more at the end how it really goes.

By Angela J

Apr 24, 2020

Admin: This review is not intended to be viewed by community. I was unable to find an alternative place, my apologizes.

Being a Trainer myself, it is difficult to watch the content expert stare at and read her PowerPoint. Online learning or in the classroom eye contact is essential to connection. There is low interaction/exercises for the students; merely recapping her references and findings, this leaves little chance for the student to have true experience in learning and implement what they have learned in their lives. The course is on The Science of Wellness. It makes me unhappy to think about taking time to do it. She is wonderful person I am sure of this. In my early years I took a class on how adults learn. I feel something like this would be very beneficial to any educator and their students.

By Azelma T

Jun 8, 2020

Less happy at the end than I was at the start. Learned absolutely nothing - very very basic stuff, and not sure the lecturer understands what "half the battle" means.

By Cary M

Mar 29, 2020

Thank you professor Santos. It was a great course and I learned so much and the extra readings are great. I just started my blog "Motivate Yourself Daily" to help others learn ways of changing their thoughts and living a happier and more success life.

If you offer any other courses in this subject topic, please let me know. I would take them all. Any other book suggestions are always welcomed.

Thank you again!

By Alicia d l P d L

Mar 21, 2020

I really have learned a lot.

The videos are kind of long sometimes, but I've enjoyed the activities.

What I liked the most was the app.

I will keep on using it.

And I'd like to know if some time soon the teacher will share the results of her research in an article or a paper. Please keep us updated.

By Shikhar S

Aug 22, 2020

Amazing course and amazing instructor. The environment and vibes throughout were positive and helped me feel much happier and understand much more about looking at life through different perspectives.

By Leanne H

Aug 22, 2020

Great fun way of learning about personal thought processing, attitudes and well-being.

Very helpful course to get me to assess my life and how to make the changes I needed to improve my well-being.

By M F

Jun 19, 2020

Highly practical and applicable, you will be Doing, not just Listening. You'll have the opportunity to test your 'before' and 'after' levels of happiness - mine increased significantly.

By Celena M

Mar 26, 2020

I have suggested this course and provided the link to my part-time family at my second job because during this time of COVID-19, we could all use some motivation and re-wiring.

By Laurette W

Jul 2, 2020

Life-changing experience. The various methods of adult learning and how it was applied was the best experience I have ever had in professional career.

By Angela M

Mar 26, 2020

Fantastic course. What a gift you give the world!

By Sandra R

I took this course during the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown, together with a friend. We had a lot of fun discussing the concepts, etc.

I would like to add some suggestions for an update which I imagine will happen on occasion. Although this class is taught at Yale to a young student body the fact that it is on-line means that older people will also take the course.

Given that reality - add some other examples of what people think will make them happy. As people age it is not generally about good grades, getting married and having a good job. There may not be studies to quote as the non-student is not a captive audience that signs up for studies as part of course requirements, etc. And yet, there must be a way to broaden the knowledge base to include someone older than 22.

By Erika K

Feb 23, 2019

Very good class. I do wish it was a bit more intellectually challenging. I'm not sure if it was made palatable for the general public or if this is the level of instruction at Yale.

By Timothy S

Apr 13, 2020

The course seems to plod along with a fair amount of self-aggrandizing and Yale-aggrandizing but none of the content is very weighty or coherent. The teacher uses no materials or exhibition tools to presents the course content.

By Tyson K

Nov 5, 2019

Little bit fluffy, i wouldnt call alot of this psychology science. more theory than anything.

By shilpa

May 29, 2019

Went too fast and did not find engaging

By Connie k

Jan 11, 2020

Very hard to maneuver and some links don't work

A group of us wanted to take but I'm discouraged.

Reset password several times.

Course interrupted by sales a lot

Couldn't get in to Character strengths at all

Couldn't get in to Character Strengths

By Daniel L

I think there is too much hype over the course and the delivery was really just normal. Perhaps is the current global situation that drives the demand of enrollment.

It serves as a good reminder on what really matters in life.

By Alejandra

Apr 15, 2020

This is a class recorded, that is not online learning and the topic of this course demands more energy from the instructor. I've had better learning experiences regarding this theme.

By Isabelle H S

Jun 30, 2020

I worked so hard and find it sad that I did all that work but there was no certificate to celebrate finishing?

By CMurt

Jan 10, 2020

none of this advice applies for people with schizophrenia

By Anamika S

Mar 23, 2020

Firstly, Laurie Santos kept us all engaging and enthralled throughout the whole course. I just loved her! Secondly i have never enjoyed peer interaction about the course and the peer viewing sessions were one of my favorite things! I have started to look at happiness through a different pair of lens and will continue to debate with my mind about the misconceptions and miswantings we all crave. This course is such a subtle and nice course where you can just listen to all the studies and the statistics just shocked me. My whole life no one has taught me the things we all are satisfied or content with. I learnt so much about HEDONIC ADAPTATION(which is my fav part) and lots of things which are eye-openers. I discussed about these psychological aspects with my friends and family and they loved the concepts as well! Thank you YALE! Thank you Ms. Santos! It was such a pleasure doing this course and knowing you. I have recommended to my friends and they will join in no time!

By Catharine H

Apr 19, 2020

Incredible professor that really knows how to communicate well her thoughts and data to people with every kind of level of education, very eloquent, well spoken and well read. Great information about how to increase your overall happiness and well-being (many of my conceptions of what would make me happy were actually proven to be false). Very grateful for these classes, it helped a lot in my day to day routine: I was able to chance some habits to healthier ones and by the end of the course I definitely felt an improvement in my well-being as a whole, using the techniques teached in the classes (such as how to use my signature strengths and how to work in jobs that require me being challenged yet also being something manageable, not causing me to be anxious or feeling incompetent). It really helps you career wise, and also in your personal life, improving your social connections and giving actual strategies to improve your happiness in a very doable way.

By Deborah N

Thank you so much, Dr. Laurie Santos! You are a teacher that leads by example! Thank you for your generosity and kindness in giving this experience of learning away to the world as a gift! And what is the subject? Happiness! You have filled the world with joy! You have made my first online college class interesting and manageable. From a teacher to a teacher, you even made me look forward to my homework! You challenged my thinking and supported your findings with science. The ten weeks of work were meaningful and well supported! I often found myself in flow looking at the resources you provided. My take-aways are my notebook, activity log and membership in the global Happiness Lab. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for this opportunity!

By Aditi K

Jun 18, 2020

this is the best course i have ever studied. course has provided with better lifestyle skills, rewirement. the professor is very engaging. the video are made so perfectly, it feels like one is present in real before her. the reading material is provided with all notes ,books recommendation, you tube video links. assignment are designed is very interested manner. most appreciable are the rewirement that are given and to keep track of these tracking PDF is provided. the best is the way professor Santos has spoken in. if you are reading my review and is thinking of opting is course definitely go for it. this course has changed my lifestyle, way of doing stuffs, my thinking, and at the great level my happiness has increased.