Back to Transformation of the Global Food System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transformation of the Global Food System by University of Copenhagen

The UN predicts we will be 9-10 billion people on Earth in 2050. Providing so many people with nutritious foods is a massive challenge and one that cannot be met by simply upscaling current practices regarding food production and consumption. Providing humanity with nutritional food is at the center of all decisions related to sustainable development. Agriculture is responsible for 80% of global deforestation. The food systems release 29% of global greenhouse gasses. We use an area equivalent to North and South America combined for the production of meat for consumption or to produce the food necessary to feed the animals we eat. 70% of fresh water use is related to agriculture. These figures are staggering, and they show us, that we need to rethink and transform the way we produce, distribute and consume food worldwide. This course focuses on how food systems can become more sustainable. It consists of four modules where each focuses on an essential ingredient towards developing more sustainable food systems: (1) Boosting the small, (2) Transforming the big, (3) Losing less and (4) Eating smarter. In each of these key areas, we will meet people from different countries around the world, who labor every day to find and spread solutions that work. Connecting the challenges that must be overcome to develop a sustainable global food system with the solutions being developed by the amazing group of people you meet in this course has been a huge source of inspiration for me. I truly believe that the global food system can be transformed to sustainably meet the needs of 9-10 billion people and, with this course, I dare you to join me!...

SK

KW

Jun 17, 2020

1 - 25 of 77 Reviews for Transformation of the Global Food System

By Louise M L

The course has a good balance between problems and solutions with regard to feeding a growing population with less environmental impact than currently. The examples of how different stakeholders have developed more sustainable solutions within their community and/or field of expertise were very inspiring.

By Heather G

Aug 16, 2020

Very important content shared in this course. It is very inspiring to learn what many global leaders are actively doing, across the world, to help global citizens. There are loads of people working to make the world a better, healthier, sustainable place. I am excited to be aware of this information and will continue to learn and share, so I can also contribute to the goals. The Professor has curated great videos and supplementary readings to showcase many aspects of global pressures. Well done and highly recomment.

By Carolina V

Jun 04, 2020

Amazing! Everyone should take some time to learn how their food choices impact food sustainability.

By Khyati S

Jul 21, 2020

Indeed a good course for understanding about the sustainable Agriculture.

By Prakash. R

Jul 29, 2020

I learned many of the information gathered in this courses.

By Md. R A C

Jun 08, 2020

Better

By Teo S K

Oct 20, 2020

Great insight that give an overview of global food trends and their links to sustainability, food environments and food systems, the current global momentum for food system transformation and the need for nutrition scientists to leverage this momentum in terms of increased evidence generation and policy advocacy. Science-based social movements to catalyze climate action and reduce food waste in food systems. Too good to go food apps can be implemented globally and education and sharing of information is critical to save global food environment. Behavioral change, by producers and consumers alike and government intervention, is necessary for transformation. Social movements have the power to trigger transformation, spurring change by businesses and reduce GHG and food waste. Many thanks to all that contributed to this course, special thanks to Professor Katherine Richardson and Kate Raworth.

By Fazla Z A

Sep 27, 2020

Brilliantly conceived and put together course covering the key touch points for sustainable food production moving forward, well done to the University of Copenhagen. Very interesting course. I recommend it for every person who cares about protecting the environment and who wants to lead a healthier life in a better world for the future generations. Eye-opener and inspirational. Gives you an in depth view of the world's agricultural system and food value chain. Learned lots of lessons from this course!

By MUHAMMAD A I

Jul 20, 2020

It was really a brilliant effort. I would like to thank you all for creating such an inovative stuff. Human activites are the drivers for mass scale changes that threatening our survival on our own planet. There is really need to transform our technology, policies, food systems, behaviours and preferences. This course gave the whole scenario of where are standing at the moment.

By Nusayer A

Sep 11, 2020

The whole course is about food & agriculture system. How the traditional food production system is affecting the world & how it should be transformed. How to achieve the sustainable food production to meet the SDGs is also present in the course. The examples were very clear to understand. Thank you very much Professor Katherine Richardson Madam, Coursera & all others.

By Chak M A Y

Oct 10, 2020

Love this course. It exposes learners on all fronts of the global transformation happening in food systems. The course showcases examples from around the world of research, initiatives, and startups that work towards a sustainable food system on multiple fronts and gives a comprehensive overview of what works, and what needs more work. Inspiring and aspirational.

By Donavan P R

Sep 05, 2020

A fascinating course that offers hope to learner that we may be able to use technology and our current knowledge to achieve the SDGs and reduce our carbon footprint in the Global Food Industry. This course introduces learners to many interesting innovations that will dramatically change our lives and may in fact save our future.

By Adrianus N V

Aug 31, 2020

I want to thank professor Catharine Richardson for the very interesting course Transformation of the Global Food System that helped me to understand better the enormous task we all have to feed in a sustainable way now and in the coming years the world population that unfortunately at the moment is still growing .

By Fernando E C B

Sep 04, 2020

Very good overview of the global food system situation, backed with research and different examples from around the world of what is being done. The supplemental readings are very insightful and I really enjoyed how Katherine lectured the course. You feel her passion for the subject and for making a change.

By Nigesh V

Jul 11, 2020

From the course Transformation of the global food system I clearly got the point what actually a transformation is,how should it be & is it a possible story.Thank you for the course team & add more datas & informations up-to-date.Thankyou for the course team & the course instructor Katherine Richardson.

By Fortune T M

Aug 20, 2020

It was an eye opener on how to stop degrading the earth and start focusing on proper use of resources without damaging the earth. I am highly honored to participate in this course I learnt a lot of stuff which i am going to use in my everyday life indeed i have been transformed.

By Frank D

Aug 10, 2020

Extremely well organized and presented. Thoughtful and thought-provoking. An important subject for which all individuals should have some basic understanding. I feel I have a much better comprehension of this topic. One of the best done online courses that I have taken.

By Nils I

Aug 13, 2020

Very interesting course, providing an overview of the complexities of the food systems and the required paradigm shift to transform them, to make them more sustainable. The quiz section could have been more challenging, nevertheless, a great course!!

By Dora B

Aug 26, 2020

This is a well structured course which provides a great overview of the challenges and emerging solutions for the global food system. I found the Danish/Scandinavian and Nigerian company case studies particularly interesting.

By Aileen B

Sep 06, 2020

Really enjoyed this course - informative and great information. How do we make it happen is the challenge I guess. Also some of the data was from 2010 - is there a way to see if more updated information available.

By Margaret B

Sep 21, 2020

An extremely well designed course. It has given me a greater understanding of the global impacts of food production & distribution, particularly the ways that regular people can help make a positive difference.

By Sachin S

Jun 19, 2020

Excellent course. In the era of sustainable development and the future goals, where 800 million people have no access to food, this course stands as a practical solution to the problem. Thank you mentors.

By TESTEIN V

Aug 26, 2020

It has been a wonderful experience to get to know the future trends in Agriculture.Thank you Dr.Richardson for the exposure you and your team provided to make this field a successful and sustainable one

By Ghi W

Oct 20, 2020

Very substanstial course 😍 I enjoyed the content so much. Its not like a typical course where teacher is teaching the subject matter. In here, its like you're watching a documentary 😍

By Sara K