Back to Introduction to Typography

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Typography by California Institute of the Arts

Typography is the art of manipulating the visual form of language to enrich and control its meaning. It’s an essential area of skill and knowledge for graphic designers. Typography predates modern graphic design by around 500 years; it is rich in rules, conventions, and esoteric terminology—but it remains an exciting space for invention and expression. In this rigorous introductory course, we will study, name, and measure the characteristics of letterforms. We’ll consider the pragmatic concerns involved in selecting and combining type. We’ll peek into the
rich historical, cultural, and aesthetic histories of familiar typefaces. We’ll discuss time-tested conventions and best practices in setting type, as governed by principles of hierarchy and spatial organization. And we’ll explore the expressive, meaning-making potential of type. Informative lectures will be complemented by a series of three peer-assessed assignments, culminating
in an opportunity to design a full-scale typographic poster. Please note that this is not a software course; a basic working knowledge of Adobe InDesign or other
page layout software will be assumed. You will need access to a computer and page layout software, such as InDesign, to complete the assignments....

BG
Aug 3, 2020

I thought the assignments worked really cohesively with one another. It helped to keep terms and skills in mind from one assignment to the next. The lecture videos were great, short, and to the point.

LS
Apr 6, 2016

Very organized and detailed about the basic, history, characteristics of typography.\n\nI really enjoyed it and wish there were other courses by the same lecturer.\n\nThanks for the great course!!

701 - 725 of 840 Reviews for Introduction to Typography

By Melissa O

Aug 17, 2017

It was nice to work with type and our own words. It felt like a more "concrete" change from the first course in this specialization where we only worked with shapes and lines. It would have been nice to have slightly more involved projects. It instead felt like we were packaging and repackaging the same copy for a month. I know that the intent was for us to focus on layout and placement, but after a while it felt state to be moving around the same content.

By Chic C

Nov 21, 2018

Very good course. I find some parts very convoluted with information and very fast paced. I had to keep rewinding the videos to catch all the information because it was too much for one 4 minute video in most cases.

Besides from the inconvenience of having to stop and go back several several times, the information is amazing and the visual exercises are incredible.

I hate not being able to send my homework but oh well... no money.

By Niamh F

Mar 28, 2016

This class taught me a lot about the basics of typography, however I didn't feel too encouraged creatively compared to the last class in this series. I understand that type is a bit more structured and requires more attention to detail and rules than other forms of visual art, but I wish there was a bit more content similar to the content in week 4 where we are encouraged to get creative.

By Annamaria J

Aug 28, 2017

I would rate this course 3.5 stars. I had to pause and rewind the videos a lot because they were fast and packed a lot of information, which is great but it was also sort of misleading that they appeared to be short videos but in reality they were rather "rushed". This course was less on hands in comparison with the first in this specialization, but altogether interesting and engaging.

By Dan R

Sep 19, 2016

The videos were very succinct and unobtrusively informative. The professor's approach was very good for a fundamentals course. My only real complaint would be the peer review system being the only provider of grades on the final project. The final grading feedback would be benefitted by the professor himself or a set of trained moderators that have more insight on design conventions.

By Ar. S D

Jun 24, 2020

This course is apt for learners wishing to dig deeper into Typography know-hows.

I liked the course,though I wish it were a bit more intense with more hands-on practice and exercises. I feel it will create a better impression and long term memory when the learners get more to practice. Thank you to the team for making this course and special thanks to the Instructor. God bless.

By Tyrand M

Dec 21, 2016

I enjoyed the information, although the typography section was a bit brief. The course does help myself and others to get an idea of what an actual on-site course might consist of. I have been wanting to take a type/lettering class at my current school but have had the chance. Course was mostly informative and taught me ways to research and design.

By Alastair T

Sep 18, 2020

Does what it's supposed to! If you're earnest about watching the videos & doing the assignments, you'll learn a lot. I've been interested in typography my whole life & I certainly learned a lot just responding to different sorts of challenges. I also learned a lot from writing peer reviews: the why & how of a piece.

By keondra b f

Feb 28, 2020

the course covers the very basic elements of typography. i didn’t like that all coursework was graded by peers and that the core elements of the course hadn’t been updated in years. i found the reading and resource lists very helpful and look forward to learning more throughout the graphic design certificate course

By Alice H

Oct 20, 2016

The last assignment wasn't as specific, and I wound up giving people lower grades than I should've. Be more specific when you use the phrase "secondary piece". I thought it was referring to the notes we took, not the text that's supposed to go below the title and subtitle.

Really good class. It was very interesting.

By Regine A

Nov 18, 2020

I got to develop my skills when it comes to typography. I've been struggling to choose a typeface to use in my design but with the help of this course, I somewhat learn to be creative by experimenting with letters. It was a short time but it indeed prepared me to widen my skills in this area of graphic designing.

By Lisa J

Apr 1, 2018

The information was valuable. The final two assignments were good. The last assignment made learning the material more interesting. It would be nice if the other lectures allowed for more creative interactive so as to help create a more memorable experience allowing the information to “stick” more.

By Minaketan O

Jul 7, 2020

Great course! The Videos were great and the instructor was awesome, but it felt quite short for my liking and would have preferred if it went more in-depth in other typographic topics but nonetheless it was a great course. Can easily recommend it anyone trying to up their typography game.

By Dries N

Jul 21, 2017

Good but should have more peer rating on creativity/originality. Now even the most boring design of 5 min work will succeed as long as it has the requested parameters ( to many like 'does it have 3 different styles' and not many like 'how creative/original/appealing is the design).

By Aurisha

Sep 4, 2020

If you took the Fundamentals of Graphic Design, a lot of this info is repeat. I still enjoyed the assignments and learning some of the psychology behind type. Good if you want to solidify what you learned prior, or if you never took the other course, I would definitely recommend.

By Jason Y

May 14, 2018

Perfect fundamental typography course for those like me who learned on the job, but now need to learn the "why" things needs to be the way they are regarding type. Loved the section on modern day typography characteristics and enjoyed completing my typographic poster!

By Meron N

Jul 7, 2020

Some good introductions to typography and its history and also a good component of the 5 course graphic design specialty. Some frustration with individuals not giving feedback on assignments although you can resubmit assignments if looking for more peer reviews.

By C. M C

Apr 14, 2016

I was not 100% motivated about this cours and I thought it would be easy...but I was wrong!, it was serious stuff to deal with typo and I learn so much in the process, I saw some pretty works of my peers and it gave me the push to make my best!

By Kristín L

Jun 5, 2016

Overall I really enjoyed this course. My only input is that it could be a bit more advanced. I realize it's an "Introduction" course, but if you have just the smallest interests in typography, theres a lot of these things, you already know.

By Raquel Z W

Jul 17, 2017

It was really good to learn about the fundamental of Typography in this course. The only con is that, in my point of view, it is really hard to give a consistent feedback for other colleagues when you are just a beginner.

By Sakshi J

May 12, 2018

It was a wonderful course with brief but concise delivery of various aspects of typography. I wish the grading was done by experts and not peers, as it would have helped me receive some valuable expert feedback.

By Leroy S

May 23, 2016

Very good overall explanations on the basics of Typography. Anther Kiley did a great job of explaining things in a simple yet detailed format. I never realized there was so much to letters and words in type!

By Helen H

Mar 20, 2019

I liked the course overall and found it informative. I think that the topics in week 3 and 4 could be combined. I also wasn't sure where I could post questions to clarify something in the assignments.

By Rose G

Aug 2, 2019

I was excited to learn about typography, these assignments were fun to do. I wished there were more assignments to create more posters for this typography course, overall I enjoyed and learned a lot.

By Roger X M

Apr 10, 2018

Good way to start with typography. The only problem I see is that there is not enough practice. I think that maybe with two or three more exercises it would be better. But in general, good course!!