Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

How to Understand Arguments Think Again: How to Reason and Argue Reasoning is important. This series of four short courses will teach you how to do it well. You will learn simple but vital rules to follow in thinking about any topic at all and common and tempting mistakes to avoid in reasoning. We will discuss how to identify, analyze, and evaluate arguments by other people (including politicians, used car salesmen, and teachers) and how to construct arguments of your own in order to help you decide what to believe or what to do. These skills will be useful in dealing with whatever matters most to you. Courses at a Glance: All four courses in this series are offered through sessions which run every four weeks. We suggest sticking to the weekly schedule to the best of your ability. If for whatever reason you fall behind, feel free to re-enroll in the next session.We also suggest that you start each course close to the beginning of a month in order to increase the number of peers in the discussion forums who are working on the same material as you are. While each course can be taken independently, we suggest you take the four courses in order. Course 1 - Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments Course 2 - Think Again II: How to Reason Deductively Course 3 - Think Again III: How to Reason Inductively Course 4 - Think Again IV: How to Avoid Fallacies About This Course in the Series: When is someone giving an argument instead of just yelling? Which parts of what they say contribute to the argument? Why are they arguing instead of fighting? What are arguments made of? What forms do they take? Think Again: How to Understand Arguments will answer these questions a more. In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable students to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, we will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument. By the end of this course, students will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that they and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

RH

Feb 16, 2017

This is a very very engaging and applicable course, and is truly presented with 10/10 efficacy! I couldn't be more sincere and adamant in my recommendation, no matter who you are or what you do.

76 - 100 of 446 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Miguel Á H

Aug 01, 2017

Hello everybody! This is a very useful course. It teachs you how to understand arguments and agree with them or refute them when are bad or poorly constructed. But it is not easy. You have to dedicate it enough time an effort for make the most of it.

By Noelle p

Jan 15, 2017

Brilliant course! I learned so much about how to evaluate arguments and pick them apart to understand the reasoning process behind them. I have been looking for a course just like this for ages and I am so glad I finally found it! Highly recommended.

By Regina C

Mar 13, 2018

Mi nivel de inglés es bueno, sin embargo, en algunos casos hubo palabras que debí buscar su significado antes de responder. El curso es bueno para encontrar las premisas ocultas tan importantes para definir los mensajes.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

By Ben W

Sep 18, 2017

Fantastic! Thank you so much for putting this course together. I had a lot of fun going through the lectures and doing the discussions and quizzes. I feel very inspired to further my to continue developing my reasoning and critical thinking skills.

By Mostafa M E

Aug 28, 2017

this is a very important course to take first to understand others argument so you have understanding of the people which get you closer to others as well as formulating your own argument for the different reasons you might have to give an argument

By swastik m

Feb 19, 2019

this is an exceptional course with a lot to learn.the professor makes it so easily understandable that it makes class more fun. the discussion questions increased the level of communication which in turn helps understanding all the perspectives.

By Tara V

Sep 16, 2017

The worse part was the final. It took me 10 times to pass the final but it was well worth it and well earned. I enjoyed the content but wished the instructor had slowed down a little on some of the concepts. Its hard to listen and take notes.

By Nizar K

Sep 19, 2017

Excellent course, learnt how to understand ARguments, using language and analyzing the language of ARgument. WAs very skeptical at first but at the end of the course was completely converted. Enjoyed the way the class was presented. Many thanks

By Kathleen R

Mar 18, 2019

The course was well-structured and taught in an engaging manner. Lectures were well done. Quizzes were helpful. Excellent insights and I just wish I took this course years ago -- would have helped me use argument in a more effective manner.

By Nenad P

May 06, 2020

Absolutely brilliant course. What I expected to be a course focused on actual arguments and presenting them this course took me on a journey of philosophical linguistics that absolutely dazzled my mind and thinking. Recommended for sure!!!!!

By Sophie

Nov 29, 2016

Although it's a bit hard for me to deeply understand the lectures, it's very helpful for me. I shall review it one more time. I like the way professor Walter Sinnott-Armstrong presents his lectures. He is a humorous and admirable teacher.

By Humberto P

Oct 26, 2017

Very good material and lectures, really helped me a lot, i enjoyed the dynamic way in which the professor explained all the concepts, and even though it was a video previously recorded it was really easy to understand and follow through

By Daniel B L d S

Dec 24, 2017

This is course is very good in fact. It goes smoothly from the very basic principles up to the intermediary mechanisms of argumentation. The only thing I can suggest that may make it even better is to reduce the length of some classes.

By Vishnu K M

May 14, 2020

Excellent course. Learnt a lot and started applying in real world. Thankyou Dr Walter and his team for making an efficient MOOC. I also express my gratitude to The Duke University and coursera for providing this course to us.

Regards

By Pedro C

Sep 05, 2016

Excellent course. Opened my mind to this fascinating subject!

I have an Electrical Engineering graduation so the logics part wasn't so hard as I studied it in Computer linguistic. Happy to apply that in everyday texts and speeches.

By Vitalii D

Nov 05, 2017

Had a lot of fun. Very useful course to make sense out of what others are saying. The biggest value for me (guarding terms :) is that It helps recognize the when others are trying to trick us into believing something unjustified.

By Debora A

Feb 06, 2017

Absolutely amazing!

What a great course, very practical, with many exercises. The lectures are fun and engaging. The textbook is a useful tool to get more details and extra exercises. One of the best MOOCs that I've ever taken.

By Aneeta J

I loved this course! It was challenging but that meant that you really needed to focus on the context and dissecting of the arguments presented. Week 3 was where it all came together. The Professor explained the content well.

By Dagny B

May 23, 2020

very thorough, parts of this were familiar from studying Aristotle in college, but a lot was new (some of the terms and ways of organizing arguments.) I liked all the examples and opportunities to practice with actual texts.

By Michelle G M

Mar 31, 2020

This course gives an excellent introductory course in dealing and making arguments. It induces a good deal of critical thinking to the learner. Additionally, this course has many practical applications that one may use.

By Álvaro A N

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent, totally recommended! With its simplicity and charm shows a new way to see and understand arguments. Thanks a lot for putting this wonderful course together, I will sure recommend it to my friends and family.

By Zahida M

Jul 31, 2017

Amazing module. Thank you professor you really made it smooth and easy going for us. Your lively and simple approach has helped me gain the much required confidence to further sign up for many more courses on coursera.

By Prita K

The course is packed with information and examples that are easy to follow, and the sudden question in the middle of the video gives us almost the same experiment in a real class, which I think is a really good idea!

By James G

Sep 27, 2016

Much harder than I anticipated and some of the concepts were difficult for me to grasp. However, I think it just takes practice! Interesting and in depth look at how arguments are formed and work. Thanks!

By Phyllis L W

May 12, 2020

This course expands your understanding of argument formation and structure. It goes beyond basis and intricately expolates reasoning behind persuasion and justification of scientific knowledge exploration.