Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

AA
Oct 10, 2016

Very good course, made me really think again. The professor is very clear on his explanations and he also made the course smooth and funny, which helped on the learning process. Highly recommended!

FY
Jul 5, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

126 - 150 of 692 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Daniel B L d S

Dec 24, 2017

This is course is very good in fact. It goes smoothly from the very basic principles up to the intermediary mechanisms of argumentation. The only thing I can suggest that may make it even better is to reduce the length of some classes.

By Vishnu K M

May 13, 2020

Excellent course. Learnt a lot and started applying in real world. Thankyou Dr Walter and his team for making an efficient MOOC. I also express my gratitude to The Duke University and coursera for providing this course to us.

Regards

By Doaa S

Jul 12, 2020

This course has genuinely opened my eyes to arguments and how to understand them. Especially in this day and age where there are plenty of arguments upon very important matters, it is very interesting to understand them. Thank you!

By Pedro C

Sep 5, 2016

Excellent course. Opened my mind to this fascinating subject!

I have an Electrical Engineering graduation so the logics part wasn't so hard as I studied it in Computer linguistic. Happy to apply that in everyday texts and speeches.

By Vitalii D

Nov 5, 2017

Had a lot of fun. Very useful course to make sense out of what others are saying. The biggest value for me (guarding terms :) is that It helps recognize the when others are trying to trick us into believing something unjustified.

By Mendel K

Jun 19, 2020

The presentation is always clear, though it deals with complicated matters. The sections on close analysis and deep reading are extremely useful and make it worth taking the course even if you are familiar with elementary logic.

By Debora A

Feb 6, 2017

Absolutely amazing!

What a great course, very practical, with many exercises. The lectures are fun and engaging. The textbook is a useful tool to get more details and extra exercises. One of the best MOOCs that I've ever taken.

By Aneeta J

I loved this course! It was challenging but that meant that you really needed to focus on the context and dissecting of the arguments presented. Week 3 was where it all came together. The Professor explained the content well.

By Dagny B

May 23, 2020

very thorough, parts of this were familiar from studying Aristotle in college, but a lot was new (some of the terms and ways of organizing arguments.) I liked all the examples and opportunities to practice with actual texts.

By Revathi G

Dec 24, 2020

This course is very nice for a beginner. The professor tries to keep the lessons and discussions fun and engaging.

I am from a technical field. I took this course out of curiosity, yet I had real fun learning the concepts.

By Prateek M

Oct 24, 2020

This is the most fun I have had in a class in a long long time !! This course affects the perspective of how we look at an argument or a simple conversation. Thanks to the professor for making this course so enjoyable...

By Michelle G M

Mar 31, 2020

This course gives an excellent introductory course in dealing and making arguments. It induces a good deal of critical thinking to the learner. Additionally, this course has many practical applications that one may use.

By Álvaro A N

Nov 15, 2018

Excellent, totally recommended! With its simplicity and charm shows a new way to see and understand arguments. Thanks a lot for putting this wonderful course together, I will sure recommend it to my friends and family.

By Zahida M

Jul 31, 2017

Amazing module. Thank you professor you really made it smooth and easy going for us. Your lively and simple approach has helped me gain the much required confidence to further sign up for many more courses on coursera.

By Prita K

The course is packed with information and examples that are easy to follow, and the sudden question in the middle of the video gives us almost the same experiment in a real class, which I think is a really good idea!

By Haider K

Aug 6, 2020

The course offers an exceptional understanding of the basics of the science of argumentation. I enjoyed the professor's enthusiasm for teaching and his little jokes to keep the environment of the videos fun.

By James G

Sep 27, 2016

Much harder than I anticipated and some of the concepts were difficult for me to grasp. However, I think it just takes practice! Interesting and in depth look at how arguments are formed and work. Thanks!

By Phyllis L W

May 12, 2020

This course expands your understanding of argument formation and structure. It goes beyond basis and intricately expolates reasoning behind persuasion and justification of scientific knowledge exploration.

By Vianey A E R

Nov 8, 2020

Not only was it really interesting, it was also a really fun course. I recommend that if anyone has a chance, they should take it. I learned a lot and I'm glad I had the chance to learn from the professor.

By Amrit K

At first I thought why do I have to know about linguistics and argument markers and all. But at the end, I realized how much understanding an argument helps in simplifying and understanding it. Thank you!

By Esen D

Sep 30, 2016

This course's been a fantastic journey in informal logic and critical thinking. The lectures are very interesting and Walter Sinnott-Armstrong is a fantastic teacher. Thank you very much for this course

By KLARCK N

Sep 22, 2017

Es un buen curso para comenzar. Permite comprender lo básico de la argumentación: identificar marcadores, supuestos implícitos (que no son evidentes) y, en definitiva, a entender mejor las cosas.

By Anish K S

Sep 19, 2021

Thanks a lot, it was awesome journey with coursera. This course teaches how to closely engage with a text, especially those students who pursue their philosophical studies must take this course.

By Mojmír H

Mar 13, 2021

Thank you very much! The whole course was a big fun for me and I could learn many, many interesting things. I´m really looking forward to the next step: Deductive Argumentation.

Really great job!

By Gui G

Jul 23, 2020

I would like to give a special thanks to Professor Walter Sinnott-Armstrong for his incredible teaching and charisma. He is awsome. And thanks to Coursera for making this course available.