Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

How to Understand Arguments Think Again: How to Reason and Argue Reasoning is important. This series of four short courses will teach you how to do it well. You will learn simple but vital rules to follow in thinking about any topic at all and common and tempting mistakes to avoid in reasoning. We will discuss how to identify, analyze, and evaluate arguments by other people (including politicians, used car salesmen, and teachers) and how to construct arguments of your own in order to help you decide what to believe or what to do. These skills will be useful in dealing with whatever matters most to you. Courses at a Glance: All four courses in this series are offered through sessions which run every four weeks. We suggest sticking to the weekly schedule to the best of your ability. If for whatever reason you fall behind, feel free to re-enroll in the next session.We also suggest that you start each course close to the beginning of a month in order to increase the number of peers in the discussion forums who are working on the same material as you are. While each course can be taken independently, we suggest you take the four courses in order. Course 1 - Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments Course 2 - Think Again II: How to Reason Deductively Course 3 - Think Again III: How to Reason Inductively Course 4 - Think Again IV: How to Avoid Fallacies About This Course in the Series: When is someone giving an argument instead of just yelling? Which parts of what they say contribute to the argument? Why are they arguing instead of fighting? What are arguments made of? What forms do they take? Think Again: How to Understand Arguments will answer these questions a more. In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable students to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, we will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument. By the end of this course, students will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that they and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

RH

Feb 16, 2017

This is a very very engaging and applicable course, and is truly presented with 10/10 efficacy! I couldn't be more sincere and adamant in my recommendation, no matter who you are or what you do.

126 - 150 of 324 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Ariana H

Dec 03, 2016

Great course; highly informative. Good teaching that makes the subject easy to understand.

By Deborah C

Jun 11, 2017

This is a good course if you want to learn how to break down arguments or just the words people use. It made me learn and it was well worth it. Thank you

By Samyukta B

Apr 26, 2017

it helped me understand argument and analyse it for better understanding

By karime e p g

Feb 19, 2018

I took it a while back before it was divided and did not pass, so now Im happy that it is divided, 1) to see if I understand better this time 2) to show that i did learn something.

By Colin A

Nov 18, 2017

This course was exactly what I was looking for - an easy to follow journey through the fundamentals of understanding, evaluating, and constructing arguments. I was surprised how much of what was taught I was already doing intuitively, but having the mechanics explained explicitly has really helped me refine my abilities. Dr Walter Sinnott-Armstrong's light-hearted approach to what could potentially be a very dry subject was also very helpful and very welcome. Congratulations to Dr Sinnott-Armstrong and the team at Duke University for putting together such a great course - I really appreciate it.

By Santiago G

Mar 16, 2018

Excellent delivery; entertaining, concise, clear and well structured. Very useful information.

By James L M J

May 06, 2017

It's a really well designed and organized course to understand reasoning.

By Raj G

Dec 22, 2016

It changed my thinking and behavior totally. It's a must learn for everyone from my side to the one who seeks knowledge.

By cat j

Apr 04, 2018

Tecnical and fun. Loved it.

By WANG J

Apr 07, 2017

it's very good.

By Paulo R V P

Nov 28, 2017

Excellent course on resources to understand and evaluate arguments.

By Elena M P L

Aug 13, 2016

Excellent course!!!! Great explanations!

By Josver N R O

Sep 27, 2017

I loved it!

By Renato A D

Apr 08, 2018

Very well structured course. Learn a lot. Just last week (reconstruction examples) are a bit confusing and hard to follow.

By Gladis I P D

Jul 23, 2017

Not to dominate the language was a little confusing to understand the subjects, as they are guarding and standard term, for that reason the test I realized them to understand better the subjects, since it has been very useful for me that many points had the written answer. I am aware that I must review each lesson. Obviously has been much knowledge captured, I now have more bases and clarity to be more assertive in understanding what comes to me and what I transmit. Thanks very much teacher Waltter Sinnott

By JoAnn A

Apr 10, 2017

Although I had some background "noise" that made this course challenging, it was a good learning experience! The professors made it interesting.

By Karam A

Jul 10, 2017

After completing this course, knowingly or unknowingly, I started observing markers while reading and even while listening to someone speak. I feel, I still need to sharpen my edges. Hope more practice will help. Overall I am happy, I did this course. I thank IIS for recommending this course to me.

By Arno H

Nov 20, 2016

Great Course !!! Thank you very much

By Anastasia G

Dec 18, 2016

The course was really useful! And I would also like to outline the charismatic teacher who inspired to learn smth new!

By Miream A

Aug 24, 2017

I am certain that you will love this course. This course explains every thing you need to know about arguments.

By Pham D D N

May 01, 2017

this course is comprehensible, interesting and so useful for me comprehensible

By Matthew K

May 15, 2017

I very much appreciated the material collected and presented for this first in the Think Again series. The course was quite enjoyable too.

By Angelika

Jul 14, 2017

What a fun course! The content is presented in a clear, accessible manner.

By IBRAHIM H

May 22, 2017

Is a very good course and am enjoying it.

By Mostafa M

Aug 28, 2017

this is a very important course to take first to understand others argument so you have understanding of the people which get you closer to others as well as formulating your own argument for the different reasons you might have to give an argument