Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

AA
Oct 10, 2016

Very good course, made me really think again. The professor is very clear on his explanations and he also made the course smooth and funny, which helped on the learning process. Highly recommended!

FY
Jul 5, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

151 - 175 of 702 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Mojmír H

Mar 13, 2021

Thank you very much! The whole course was a big fun for me and I could learn many, many interesting things. I´m really looking forward to the next step: Deductive Argumentation.

Really great job!

By Gui G

Jul 23, 2020

I would like to give a special thanks to Professor Walter Sinnott-Armstrong for his incredible teaching and charisma. He is awsome. And thanks to Coursera for making this course available.

By Amelia T P

This course is very enjoyable. The instructor is engaging and have a sense of humor. The lessons and examples given here are clear even for myself which English isn't my native language.

By Librada M D v

Feb 23, 2018

Realmente fascinante, encantada con la coherencia e impresión de cotidianidad que le ponene a esto. Las preguntas exigen comprensión real del contenido y su aplicación a la realidad.

By Νίκος Κ

Dec 13, 2020

Excellent Course! Loved it from the first moment. It was actually very interesting and the way you can understand someone's words from now on, is something you just can't overlook

By Milecia M

Oct 12, 2016

This course goes super in depth on how arguments work. I learned things in this course that'd I'd never heard of before and it gave me a more critical view on how people say things.

By Pavel P

Jul 8, 2019

An extraordinary course that would help to make the right decisions, convey your thoughts to others and thinking in a structured and organized way. Highly recommended for everyone!

By Richard P F

Mar 4, 2019

The course gives a clear technical insights with regard to analysis of arguments which will help in better understanding it thereby promoting learning also on how to construct one.

By Emmanuelle P

Feb 19, 2018

I took it a while back before it was divided and did not pass, so now Im happy that it is divided, 1) to see if I understand better this time 2) to show that i did learn something.

By Linh N

May 14, 2021

Funny, easy to understand lectures. I appreciate the lessons and practical exercises, which helps me to think more logically when I read and process information. Highly recommend!

By Steve M

Jan 31, 2021

I really enjoyed this course. The instruction is top notch. Recommend getting the text book - the additional exercises in it give you the practice needed to master the subject.

By Orlando M

Feb 2, 2017

Este curso me ha ayudado mucho en mi vida personal y profesional. Gracias a todos los responsable de la preparación de este valioso material didáctico.

Saludos,

Orlando Maldoando

By Ali H

Jun 8, 2020

the course really pushes you to understand that there is more to an argument than originally meets the eye. it is worth taking the course to learn how to analyze an argument.

By Fran R

Jan 23, 2020

To me, this course is a Coursera classic. I really want to see the rest of the lectures related to this one, and it's a personal goal of mine to do so. Such a pleasant class!

By Andrew C

Mar 21, 2021

A very thorough taught subject . This is the first time I`ve taken a course on improving my critical thinking skills and this course really got me excited about learning it.

By Achal M

Feb 27, 2019

It is really appreciating to coursera for framing such a good course and very intellectually designed , you need to very attentive and analytical to understand and crack the

By Fred F

Oct 2, 2020

This was an outstanding course. Really helped me understand arguments especially when I was elected to serve on a non-profit board for a community homeowner's association.

By David R S

Dec 8, 2020

A challenging and engaging course. I really enjoyed the combination of complex themes and humorous explanations. Would recommend for anyone interested in logical thinking.

By emilio

Sep 16, 2019

A must for anyone looking for better writing or maths in reading proofs certainly is helpful to know what people is assuming in the proof so it is easier to understand it.

By Cynthia W

Jun 3, 2018

Brilliant course. The professor is engaging, the material is well organised and detailed without being obtuse or intimidating. One of my favourite Coursera courses so far.

By Vinayak k

May 11, 2017

While I did previously realize the importance of presumptions in arguments, the course explained the importance of suppressed premises well. This course was really useful.

By Ru'Kaiel J

May 14, 2020

MOST excellent and informative course; I appreciate the presentation of the materials and how reasonable and personable the Professor presents the arguments. THANK YOU!!

By Fadhlan A A

Aug 17, 2020

This is a really good course with an entertaining speaker so I am not easily bored when doing this lecture. All of the theory with the examples are very understandable.

By Molly S

Jul 31, 2020

I really enjoyed how to break everything down in an argument and how to use close analysis to identify what is what in an argument. I am ready to go on to learn more!