Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

How to Understand Arguments Think Again: How to Reason and Argue Reasoning is important. This series of four short courses will teach you how to do it well. You will learn simple but vital rules to follow in thinking about any topic at all and common and tempting mistakes to avoid in reasoning. We will discuss how to identify, analyze, and evaluate arguments by other people (including politicians, used car salesmen, and teachers) and how to construct arguments of your own in order to help you decide what to believe or what to do. These skills will be useful in dealing with whatever matters most to you. Courses at a Glance: All four courses in this series are offered through sessions which run every four weeks. We suggest sticking to the weekly schedule to the best of your ability. If for whatever reason you fall behind, feel free to re-enroll in the next session.We also suggest that you start each course close to the beginning of a month in order to increase the number of peers in the discussion forums who are working on the same material as you are. While each course can be taken independently, we suggest you take the four courses in order. Course 1 - Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments Course 2 - Think Again II: How to Reason Deductively Course 3 - Think Again III: How to Reason Inductively Course 4 - Think Again IV: How to Avoid Fallacies About This Course in the Series: When is someone giving an argument instead of just yelling? Which parts of what they say contribute to the argument? Why are they arguing instead of fighting? What are arguments made of? What forms do they take? Think Again: How to Understand Arguments will answer these questions a more. In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable students to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, we will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument. By the end of this course, students will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that they and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

RH

Feb 16, 2017

This is a very very engaging and applicable course, and is truly presented with 10/10 efficacy! I couldn't be more sincere and adamant in my recommendation, no matter who you are or what you do.

151 - 175 of 324 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Nuria A

Jun 24, 2017

A very interesting and useful course

By 赵晨

Oct 05, 2016

great

By Therese R

Jun 27, 2017

Fun, informative, and a great learning experience!

By Amy ( Q

Mar 04, 2018

Great, quizs while learning helps to understand bette^_^ And the teacher is humourous.

Thanks to Dr. Walter and thousands of likes for Coursera.

By Orlando M

Feb 02, 2017

Este curso me ha ayudado mucho en mi vida personal y profesional. Gracias a todos los responsable de la preparación de este valioso material didáctico.

Saludos,

Orlando Maldoando

By Ilya K

Jan 22, 2017

Thank you very much for this course. It helps to understand more clearly the arguments and to be more wise in the art of disputes.

By Terri

Jun 25, 2018

Great course! The instructor is SO engaging!

By Santiago M

Oct 27, 2016

I think the professor is clear an concise (I know, the word "clear" is not easy to define). The content is very interesting, and definitely relevant. It might be so that I won't use EVERYTHING I learned here in my daily life, but I definitely have tools to provide better arguments, and debate other people's arguments.

Some parts of the course are heavy, but with a little bit of effort and dedication, one can follow.

By John F v A J

May 29, 2017

A very good course. It introduced me to a new way to understand words.

By Librada M D v

Feb 23, 2018

Realmente fascinante, encantada con la coherencia e impresión de cotidianidad que le ponene a esto. Las preguntas exigen comprensión real del contenido y su aplicación a la realidad.

By Euclides J L V

Mar 21, 2018

Very useful course, taught with a very good didactics

By Milecia M

Oct 12, 2016

This course goes super in depth on how arguments work. I learned things in this course that'd I'd never heard of before and it gave me a more critical view on how people say things.

By Maria D G G

Mar 09, 2017

Easy to understand,

By Basma G

Jul 19, 2017

This course is what I consider a life changing knowledge experience. It's practical, clear, very informative and still fun !

By Susan M

Jun 22, 2017

This entire series was informative, engaging, and fun, and the thinking skills taught are so valuable.

By 丁轶伦

Dec 22, 2016

Very thoughtful to not exclude me even when I did not hand in homework on time:)

By Caiqiu Z

Oct 23, 2016

A systematic course on how to understand arguments!

By Josef T

Apr 27, 2017

An excellent introduction to the valuable skill of understanding arguments. The lectures are entertaining and provide a welcoming style for learners of all backgrounds. The content is not light but is well-structured and the pacing is generous - one hour a day of study should more than suffice. I thank the creators for an edifying and enjoyable experience.

By Lucy T

Sep 20, 2016

I love this course and would like to do it again!

By Ben W

Sep 18, 2017

Fantastic! Thank you so much for putting this course together. I had a lot of fun going through the lectures and doing the discussions and quizzes. I feel very inspired to further my to continue developing my reasoning and critical thinking skills.

By Iona F

Feb 07, 2018

This was a most excellent course on how to understand and conclude an argument. it is beneficial in all fields of life

By Luis A

Jan 15, 2018

This course was very clear for me, it gives a lot of examples and it gives very good explanations for the correct choices in the quizzes.

By Vishwas B

Jun 07, 2018

Its a very good course to understand the importance of arguments and how to organize your thoughts to make good arguments.I also learnt to understand what is an argument and what is not so basically it cleared my preconceptions.The professor is very good and funny.He teaches interestingly.I'll recommend this course to you.

By Regina C

Mar 13, 2018

Mi nivel de inglés es bueno, sin embargo, en algunos casos hubo palabras que debí buscar su significado antes de responder. El curso es bueno para encontrar las premisas ocultas tan importantes para definir los mensajes.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.