Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

AA
Oct 10, 2016

Very good course, made me really think again. The professor is very clear on his explanations and he also made the course smooth and funny, which helped on the learning process. Highly recommended!

SM
Jun 10, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

76 - 100 of 703 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Scott K

Jun 20, 2020

This was not an easy course; it required a lot of thinking and taking time to really understand what was being taught. But, the professor presented the material in an enjoyable way, and the quiz questions were beneficially in helping me to make sure that I understood the concepts being taught. I look forward to taking the next three courses associated with "Think Again."

By Josef T

Apr 27, 2017

An excellent introduction to the valuable skill of understanding arguments. The lectures are entertaining and provide a welcoming style for learners of all backgrounds. The content is not light but is well-structured and the pacing is generous - one hour a day of study should more than suffice. I thank the creators for an edifying and enjoyable experience.

By Carla L R

Jun 15, 2020

Outstanding course in its entirety from beginning to end. The quizzes are challenging and dynamic; the extra material is very useful and clarifying and the video lectures with the Professor are priceless. He is very pedagogical and fun to learn from. Hats off! Highly recommended. Now, on track to keep up with the other three courses in this Program! :)

By Shakeel R K

Jul 6, 2020

One of the most interesting course I have been through. Dr. Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, take a bow Sir! He makes it look so easy and enjoys alongside the student. The course seems easy but once you go through the whole course you will realise how much of it you weren't aware of to begin with. Really looking forward to the other courses in this series.

By Lovina N

This course helped me understand more about the human interaction and how language plays its part in it. It was taught and explained exceptionally! As a humanities student looking forward to studying linguistics, I feel my interest has increased significantly in the subject. Will definitely take the other courses from Think Again series.

By Lucas F d C M

Feb 9, 2019

The professor is very clear and objective. The lessons are well explored and the examples help a lot. The little quizzes after the lectures are good tool to measure your learning. The humor the professor brings helps to keep lectures fun. I thank you the professor, Duke University and Coursera for providing this course.

Sincerely,

Lucas.

By Leonardo M

Nov 10, 2020

This is probably the best course I've taken so far in Coursera. The subject is good, it was very well explained, but what I want to highlight is the dedication the instructors must have put on it, to come up with such a high quality product.

I will continue with the other courses with a very high expectation.

Thanks to the instructors.

By Luis E C C

Apr 11, 2020

It was a really great course. Sometimes we take things for granted and we do not stop for a second to analyze our environment. By taking this course I learn to identify how people argue and how they're doing it. Also now I can choose to have an argument with someone else.

This course gave the tools to identify valid arguments.

By Gary D P

Dec 20, 2017

Bloody marvelous. Took me a while to get into the swing of things. But the presentation and subject matter covered, completely mind-blowing. Who would have thought that a middle aged man from England would be out defined by the presenter. Well played and I salute you. Even if your mother was French and smelt of elderberry's.

By Vishwas B

Jun 7, 2018

Its a very good course to understand the importance of arguments and how to organize your thoughts to make good arguments.I also learnt to understand what is an argument and what is not so basically it cleared my preconceptions.The professor is very good and funny.He teaches interestingly.I'll recommend this course to you.

By Guilherme O M

Dec 29, 2017

i've already finished the course,and I recommend to all the people persist and stay focused until it's over, it's worth it.

I'm from Brazil and I'm still in High School,so this part of this course will be very important to me.

I've enjoyed so much and thanks to all the great teachers who have built this course. See you! :)

By Esila A

Jun 27, 2020

I learned so valuable things that even I can use those new pieces of knowledge to get ready for my upcoming SAT exam! Thanks for everything, I had so much fun! Btw, I'm interested in debate, so I'll use the new things I just learned through this course in my debate club. Hopefully, see you next lecture for this course!

By Vidya S

Sep 25, 2020

Very good course and very humorous professor! Every day we are facing so many propaganda and misleading news from media, if you do not know how to draw valid and sound argument and make good reasoning, it will be easy for you to be misled. Taking this course helps you to distinguish good arguments from the bad ones.

By David W

Dec 3, 2016

I devoured this course -- Walter's presentations and examples work for me. And I loved the multi-layered tie-dye look for that one lecture about halfway through! But seriously: being able to break an argument down, understand how it is constructed, and assess its validity and soundness are all really important.

By Phạm T Y

Nov 23, 2021

The professor is funny. I realize a lot of mistake in my daily conversation. Oh, it is not so strict that I will analyze about everything I speak or talk but I might be just more aware of valid argument in daily life and have approach to build up valid argument in assignment or thesis or my writing in general.

By Jesse M

Feb 9, 2019

Clear and concise, even though I realize I need not everything is completely clear, but this was my first course in forming arguments, so it stands to reason that I have a lot to learn. I enjoyed the way Dr. Armstrong taught the course. I will definitely take the remaining two courses. Thank you. - Jesse Mara

By Kristine L D C

Apr 29, 2020

I enjoyed the course very much. Dr. Sinnott-Armstrong explained the concepts well and was lively, engaging, and captured my attention throughout so I did not become bored (as I feared I would). This is my first online course and I can only hope that all other lecturers are as good as Dr. Sinnott-Armstrong.

By Karam A

Jul 10, 2017

After completing this course, knowingly or unknowingly, I started observing markers while reading and even while listening to someone speak. I feel, I still need to sharpen my edges. Hope more practice will help. Overall I am happy, I did this course. I thank IIS for recommending this course to me.

By Juan M E G

Jun 25, 2021

He visto muy útil el curso. Tengo la sensación de que a partir de ahora seré mucho más reflexivo escuchando cualquier conversación

I have seen the course very useful. I have the feeling that from now on I will be much more thoughtful listening to any conversation

volume_upcontent_copysharestar_border

By Amin K

Aug 8, 2016

Presented in an entertaining style. I especially enjoyed the detailed analysis of a newspaper article after presentation of the basic concepts. It nicely brought together all that we had learnt in the previous weeks as well as illustrate how it could be applied in 'real' world/everyday situations.

By Carlo

Feb 6, 2017

Great course, well-structured, clear and fun. One little reservation: introducing arguments by saying what they are not may make it difficult for students to understand the distinction between arguments as such and the various functions they can have (a topics which is covered later in the course.)

By Margaret R L

Aug 27, 2020

I enjoyed the course. It started out easy but became more and more challenging to understand the concepts. The multiple choice quizzes are no substitute for doing more close analyses on actual texts which would have been good practice for me, but in the end I did pretty well. I'd like to do more.

By Dayton G

Jan 15, 2017

I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone who would like to better understand arguments. Not only is it helpful in general, but especially helpful in the workplace. Being able to form a logical, sound and validating argument is important when leading and working towards a greater good.

By Mike L

Nov 4, 2017

1) I enjoyed the class 2) the professor was clear 3) the professor was interesting 4) the material was interesting and informative 5) I feel I gained insight and knowledge 6) Therefore the class was beneficial (2,3,4,5) 7) I feel classes I enjoy, help me master the material 8) The format

By Kedar J

Feb 3, 2018

Great course! This art is almost lost in the age of social media and low attention spans. People of all ages should take this course. The course teaches you what arguments are, why people make them, how to deconstruct arguments and put them back together for understanding and analysis.