Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable you to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, you will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument by adding suppressed premises. By the end of this course, you will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that you and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

SM
Jun 10, 2020

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

FY
Jul 5, 2018

151 - 175 of 624 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Cynthia W

Jun 3, 2018

Brilliant course. The professor is engaging, the material is well organised and detailed without being obtuse or intimidating. One of my favourite Coursera courses so far.

By VINAYAK K

May 11, 2017

While I did previously realize the importance of presumptions in arguments, the course explained the importance of suppressed premises well. This course was really useful.

By Ru'Kaiel J

May 14, 2020

MOST excellent and informative course; I appreciate the presentation of the materials and how reasonable and personable the Professor presents the arguments. THANK YOU!!

By Fadhlan A A

Aug 16, 2020

This is a really good course with an entertaining speaker so I am not easily bored when doing this lecture. All of the theory with the examples are very understandable.

By Molly S

Jul 31, 2020

I really enjoyed how to break everything down in an argument and how to use close analysis to identify what is what in an argument. I am ready to go on to learn more!

By Hiranshi M

Aug 31, 2020

This is a great course! The videos and the exercises really help to make you understand the topics. Kudos to the professor in the videos for making it entertaining!

By Michelle D

Jun 11, 2020

Learnt a lot during the course. The professor was amazing. Everything taught made a lot of sense as first i was skeptical about it being so helpful. Thanks coursera

By Al B

Nov 28, 2020

I am a math teacher and I have been introduced to Philosophy and Logic but this course has deepened my understanding in understanding propositions and arguments.

By Aiden K M

Jun 2, 2017

The instructor and the course content are excellent. The instructor is very knowledgeable and lively. The course content is well designed and very much on point.

By Daniela E

Jul 13, 2020

Great course. The professor is very clear in his explanations, and he really teaches in a way it is fun for students to understand and engage with the lectures.

By Alain E M M

Jul 21, 2018

Excellent course! It really makes a difference in providing you tool to analyze arguments. I recommend to buy the course book to better understand the clasess.

By 魏傑夫

Oct 17, 2016

The professor really inspired me of critical thinking. The professor is knowledgeable and humorous. I'll certainly suggest my classmates to take this course.

By Efrén M G P

Jul 3, 2020

This course is great! No matter what you do for a living, no matter if you are into arts, technology, science, whatever. This is a must for everyone. Thanks!

By Scott M

Jun 12, 2020

Really good stuff...one could spent years learning and perfecting. Great concepts and have already used a few in sales discussions / teachings with my team.

By Mohammed S

Jun 19, 2017

this is very interesting way of learning

this is my first course in Corsera and it giving me a lot of information and am still in the first week out of four.

By Sarah C

Oct 23, 2016

An excellent course that everyone should take. It teaches you how to organize arguments so that you can see the faults and the underlying morals behind them.

By yosoyjoe y s j

May 8, 2020

Thank you so much! These are the tools I needed to speak to different people I know and for my professional performance as well. Thank you, Mr. Armstrong!!!

By Deborah C

Jun 11, 2017

This is a good course if you want to learn how to break down arguments or just the words people use. It made me learn and it was well worth it. Thank you

By Carlos A R F

Jan 8, 2018

It's an excellent course. If you finish this course, you could validate and analize arguments. The teacher is funny and his explanations are pretty good.

By REGES D P

Aug 27, 2019

I thought it would be something much more fast and simple to conclude but I'm very impressed by the quality and density of the informations. Loved it!!!

By Gauri P

Aug 17, 2020

Loved this course. The faculty is great. Concepts were made so easy to understand and the assessments after each topic helped a lot to revise. Thanks!

By Taqi H

Jul 1, 2020

This course beautifully introduces a person to terms used in argument analysis and makes him familiar with logic and rationality. Totally recommended!

By John M

Jun 24, 2018

OUTSTANDING COURSE! The content provided directly influenced my writing/communicating skills through elements of arguments to show a person's reasons.

By Farooq H S

Oct 6, 2018

I really enjoyed learning under the supervision of respected Sir. He has a wonderful way of explaining arguments. I love it, and thank you very much.

By Wendy G S

Sep 28, 2020

This was a fun class, and things were broken down very well. I liked the self pacing. The professor was a goofball and made the lectures enjoyable.