Back to Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments by Duke University

How to Understand Arguments Think Again: How to Reason and Argue Reasoning is important. This series of four short courses will teach you how to do it well. You will learn simple but vital rules to follow in thinking about any topic at all and common and tempting mistakes to avoid in reasoning. We will discuss how to identify, analyze, and evaluate arguments by other people (including politicians, used car salesmen, and teachers) and how to construct arguments of your own in order to help you decide what to believe or what to do. These skills will be useful in dealing with whatever matters most to you. Courses at a Glance: All four courses in this series are offered through sessions which run every four weeks. We suggest sticking to the weekly schedule to the best of your ability. If for whatever reason you fall behind, feel free to re-enroll in the next session.We also suggest that you start each course close to the beginning of a month in order to increase the number of peers in the discussion forums who are working on the same material as you are. While each course can be taken independently, we suggest you take the four courses in order. Course 1 - Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments Course 2 - Think Again II: How to Reason Deductively Course 3 - Think Again III: How to Reason Inductively Course 4 - Think Again IV: How to Avoid Fallacies About This Course in the Series: When is someone giving an argument instead of just yelling? Which parts of what they say contribute to the argument? Why are they arguing instead of fighting? What are arguments made of? What forms do they take? Think Again: How to Understand Arguments will answer these questions and more. In this course, you will learn what an argument is. The definition of argument will enable students to identify when speakers are giving arguments and when they are not. Next, we will learn how to break an argument into its essential parts, how to put them in order to reveal their connections, and how to fill in gaps in an argument. By the end of this course, students will be better able to understand and appreciate arguments that they and other people present. Suggested Readings: Students who want more detailed explanations or additional exercises or who want to explore these topics in more depth should consult Understanding Arguments: An Introduction to Informal Logic, Ninth Edition, Concise, Chapters 1-5, by Walter Sinnott-Armstrong and Robert Fogelin. Course Format: Each week will be divided into multiple video segments that can be viewed separately or in groups. There will be short ungraded quizzes after each segment (to check comprehension) and a longer graded quiz at the end of the course....

FY

Jul 06, 2018

I found this course very challenging as I find critical thinking very difficult. However this course was extremely rewarding and I will be taking the other three modules in the Think Again series.

SM

Jun 11, 2020

151 - 175 of 578 Reviews for Think Again I: How to Understand Arguments

By Scott M

Jun 13, 2020

Really good stuff...one could spent years learning and perfecting. Great concepts and have already used a few in sales discussions / teachings with my team.

By Mohammed S

Jun 19, 2017

this is very interesting way of learning

this is my first course in Corsera and it giving me a lot of information and am still in the first week out of four.

By Sarah C

Oct 23, 2016

An excellent course that everyone should take. It teaches you how to organize arguments so that you can see the faults and the underlying morals behind them.

By Maria J C D L R

May 09, 2020

Thank you so much! These are the tools I needed to speak to different people I know and for my professional performance as well. Thank you, Mr. Armstrong!!!

By Deborah C

Jun 11, 2017

This is a good course if you want to learn how to break down arguments or just the words people use. It made me learn and it was well worth it. Thank you

By Carlos A R F

Jan 09, 2018

It's an excellent course. If you finish this course, you could validate and analize arguments. The teacher is funny and his explanations are pretty good.

By REGES D P

Aug 27, 2019

I thought it would be something much more fast and simple to conclude but I'm very impressed by the quality and density of the informations. Loved it!!!

By Gauri P

Aug 17, 2020

Loved this course. The faculty is great. Concepts were made so easy to understand and the assessments after each topic helped a lot to revise. Thanks!

By Taqi H

Jul 01, 2020

This course beautifully introduces a person to terms used in argument analysis and makes him familiar with logic and rationality. Totally recommended!

By John M

Jun 25, 2018

OUTSTANDING COURSE! The content provided directly influenced my writing/communicating skills through elements of arguments to show a person's reasons.

By Farooq H S

Oct 06, 2018

I really enjoyed learning under the supervision of respected Sir. He has a wonderful way of explaining arguments. I love it, and thank you very much.

By Heinz H

Oct 01, 2019

I like the concept and the profound analysis of language and speech very much. I have just glanced over the course so far, but I want to finish it.

By Amy ( Q

Mar 04, 2018

Great, quizs while learning helps to understand bette^_^ And the teacher is humourous.

Thanks to Dr. Walter and thousands of likes for Coursera.

By Henault A

Sep 19, 2019

Very interesting curse, because in my technological carrier nobody give me the reflexe to thinking about arguments and how to use it to progress

By JoAnn A

Apr 10, 2017

Although I had some background "noise" that made this course challenging, it was a good learning experience! The professors made it interesting.

By Mary A

Sep 20, 2017

It is a great course. The instructor is excellent , he tries his best to make it easy and fun though the subject is not easy . Thank you all

By Juan S P S

Aug 11, 2020

This course was intriguing, interesting and enlighting! I strongly recommed everyone who is in fond of linguistics and philosophy to take it.

By Josef P

Mar 27, 2020

Great Professor Sinnott-Armstrong, thorough and comprehensible explanation, interesting examples (R. Redford, but especially Monty Python).

By Yiye D

Mar 13, 2017

This course is awesome! I really appreciate the time and effort devoted to make this course such a great introduction to critical thinking!

By Stephen K

Jun 15, 2020

The course was easily digestible and engaging. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to hone their logic and argumentation skills.

By Matthew K

May 15, 2017

I very much appreciated the material collected and presented for this first in the Think Again series. The course was quite enjoyable too.

By Luis A

Jan 15, 2018

This course was very clear for me, it gives a lot of examples and it gives very good explanations for the correct choices in the quizzes.

By Victoria M M

Jul 03, 2020

It was a great experience! It was not heavy with materials but it really makes you to renew and refresh your way of thinking critically.

By V N

Jun 12, 2020

YOU ARE SUCH A TALENTED GUY WITH SOME FUNNY SKILLS.HOPE PASS MY WISHES TO ALL THOSE TOOK EFFORT IN MAKING SUCH A WONDERFUL COURSE SIR!!!

By Hrom T

I liked this course so much! It was interesting and fun! The professor explained everything very clearly and in an understandable way.