Back to Understanding and Visualizing Data with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Understanding and Visualizing Data with Python by University of Michigan

In this course, learners will be introduced to the field of statistics, including where data come from, study design, data management, and exploring and visualizing data. Learners will identify different types of data, and learn how to visualize, analyze, and interpret summaries for both univariate and multivariate data. Learners will also be introduced to the differences between probability and non-probability sampling from larger populations, the idea of how sample estimates vary, and how inferences can be made about larger populations based on probability sampling. At the end of each week, learners will apply the statistical concepts they’ve learned using Python within the course environment. During these lab-based sessions, learners will discover the different uses of Python as a tool, including the Numpy, Pandas, Statsmodels, Matplotlib, and Seaborn libraries. Tutorial videos are provided to walk learners through the creation of visualizations and data management, all within Python. This course utilizes the Jupyter Notebook environment within Coursera....

AT

Excellent course materials, especially the videos, with content that is thoughtfully composed and carefully edited. Very good python training, great instructors, and overall great learning experience.

VV
Aug 2, 2020

Great course to learn the basics! The supplementary material in Jupyter notebooks is extremely valuable. Really appreciate the PhD students who took the time to explain even the simplest of codes :)

26 - 50 of 380 Reviews for Understanding and Visualizing Data with Python

By Bhanu P P

Jun 28, 2020

Well taught, it will be hard for beginners with python.

By S M S S

Jun 27, 2020

From my point of view, this course was very fundamental for learning statistics with python . I have learnt a lot about different statistical model with how to describe by visualizing them. I have also studied uni-variate , multi-variate data analysis and introduced to a practical NHANES model which was implemented on python code to get different visualization of data analysis. Finally also learnt about using sampling distribution , sampling variance and probability and non-probability sample. This course will definitely boost up confidence for statistical analysis with python.

By Pankaj B

Dec 13, 2019

The content is very comprehensive, provides an introduction about all the useful things necessary to do statistical data analysis with Python. However, some of the quiz questions are ambiguous and its not clear to me why the chosen answer was the correct one. I submitted feedback on one of these quizzes but I didn't receive any response. Other than that, I felt the instructors did a great job of explaining the fundamental concepts in statistics and the basic tools in Python, and I am glad at having taken this course.

By Minas-Marios V

Apr 23, 2020

This course introduces basic but crucial statistical concepts that any data analyst should be aware of, and offers detailed explanations of the steps that one should follow when desinging an observational survey. I have had several courses online and on campus, but none have done such a great job at explaining study design as this one. Note, however, that knowledge of basic Python programming is a must-have before attending this course, and I would also recommending getting one or two tutorials on numpy and pandas.

By Antonello P

Jul 22, 2020

Very good course for people that don't have any knowledge of statistics, like me. The material is detailed, the concepts are explained clearly in the lectures and the instructors make it easy to follow.

I don't understand why people complain about the programming assignments being difficult. Normally they cover things that are shown in the lectures. When that is not the case, links to the relevant documentation pages are presented. If anything the assignments are too easy and there should be more.

By ILYA N

Aug 16, 2019

They cover basics like normal distribution, z-scores, and plotting data with scatterplots/histograms. In week 4, they give a fairly detailed overview of distribution sampling, and hammer home that you need to be cognizant of bias in your data. To me the most useful aspect of the course were links to third-party articles and web-sites that I would not have discovered otherwise (such as the app from Brown where you can play with different distributions).

By Tarit G

Jul 2, 2020

Excellent course to learn different statistical ways of understanding and visualizing datasets. Also, it was taught how to gather data. What I like about this course is, besides explaining every topic clearly, the instructors have commented on when to use that and when not to and drawbacks of that concept. The instructors were great at explaining things. I am very thankful to the instructors, team and the University of Michigan.

By Vinícius G d O

May 12, 2019

If you are searching for a course who could either teach you all about the world of statistics - ranging from statistical analysis with awsome examples and explanation with demosntrations of statistical methods - and at the same time force you trough programming, this is the right course.

I'm very grateful by the efforts of course's team in undertaken such work! I'm now more prepared to advance in my carrer, thanks to it!

By Carlos A R G

Feb 9, 2021

Excellent course for an introduction to python statistics. Keep in mind that this is not an usual statistics course, the fact that it covers python changes it a lot. I had almost no prior knowledge about programming so I had to learn in order to keep up with the lectures. I recommend to come here after being familiar with it and maybe having checked info about numpy, pandas and matplotlib.

By Arpita G

Sep 14, 2020

An interesting teaching style, full of life. Also, the quality and quantity of content is extremely well. Peer Reviewed "Data Memorandum" for a company is an excellent touch to the course. I would recommend this course just for that it self. Otherwise also, this course can be recommended to any beginner who wants to try Data Science from the Maths angle.

All the best.

By Tirth B

Aug 28, 2020

You need to have atleast a couple months of coding experience to do this course. Stats concets are explained nicely. I liked their approach of teaching new concepts. They made their own data sets to teach us and give us a good hands on experience with manipulating and crunching data. This course would be a good start for your journey towards data science/analytics.

By Denys M

Jun 1, 2020

A very nice manner of teaching where lecturers used a variety of real-world examples which made hard things easier to understand.

I have learned basics of python language including data types and syntax, core features of pandas, seaborn and numpy libraries. Recalled for myself statistical principles and approaches.

Besides all of this, there are a lot of fun :)

By Daniel J Z G

Jul 26, 2020

Excellent course. Although I do believe it should have more hands-on experience so that we, as students, can improve their python abilities and can feel more comfortable when using python for statistic analysis. In addition, I believe tests were too easy so it could definitely use a bit more difficulty. Yet, the course materials and the lectures were great!

By JIANG X

Jun 11, 2019

I love the depth and breadth of the content. It provides in-depth knowledge of statistics and wide range of context information and supplementary reference learning materials. I also appreciate that each lesson is accompanied by hands-on activities using Jupyter notebook which definitely has helped me gain a deeper and clearer understanding of the content.

By Geetha A

Dec 5, 2019

The course gave a very good understanding to type of data (quantitative, categorical) , histogram, correlations, standard terms used in statistics, how sample plan needs to be created . The peer review exercise was very nice. I enjoyed doing it. The exercises in python looked basic. Overall a very good course and I enjoyed learning through this.

By Punam P

Apr 5, 2020

Very nice experience to join this course, which help me to understand and visualize the data using python. I recommend this course to everyone and too friends, as all the instructors clarify all the concepts so nicely. I Thanks to everyone involved in this course to gave me opportunity. Thanks to Coursera for giving such platform.

By snehil

Mar 24, 2020

This first course in the specialization was very helpful and outstanding in the way it created the concepts of statistical programming and data visualization along with statistics theory. All instructors were very helpful and my special thanks to Brady T. West and Brenda Gunderson who were splendid in their teaching methodology.

By Amelia M

Jun 7, 2020

I really love this course! This has been my best learning experience since I use Coursera! I really appreciate Brian to answer our questions in the forum, even though some of my question is really silly, but he is also very patient. The content of this course is very nice, I learn a lot. Thanks for the efforts of every staff!

By Wei O

Mar 31, 2021

Out of all the Python courses I can find, this course from U of Michigan is the most fun and interactive lesson I ever seen on Coursera! I would highly recommend University of Michigan to anyone. Easy to understand, yet challenging enough for critical thinking. Thank you Professor and Associates staff for your hard work!

By Mradul T

Jun 3, 2020

The course content is GOLD! Seriously, several of the things that were taught in this course are already known to me but after taking this course, it gives me the real insight and physical significance of those things. After this course I understand how to actually use those things practically! A must do course 🤩😮🤩🤩

By Shekhar N

Apr 14, 2020

A very gentle introduction to data visualisation with great effort from teachers and students to make the course refreshing.

The course will not be very mathematical or coding heavy.

Most of the quizzes are fairly simple and motivate the student to gain more insight by opting for further courses in the specialization.

By Maksim M

Feb 11, 2020

This course gives a solid understanding of core statistical principles, sampling, approach to making inferences, plus some experience with data manipulation using Pandas and data visualization using Matplotlib and Seaborn libraries, as well as some experience with the Numpy library (all in Python)

By Sidclay J d S

Aug 31, 2020

The course is really good, videos and materials presented are good, there are lots of recommendations for additional readings and web tools, it is also interesting the change of presenter, it helps to keep attention. But I think it is not for somebody who has never heard of Statistics before.

By M N

Jun 28, 2020

Excellent course to better grasp fundamental parts of statistics within the data analysis space and how to create some basic visualizations. The course is not Python heavy, although some experience working with Pandas, Numpy and understanding of basic loops and list comprehensions will help.

By Giuliano M

Mar 26, 2020

This course is excellent and very well thought out. It covers the fundamentals of sampling methods and data analysis as well as their practical applications with Python. I would recommend it to anyone willing to learn statistics (but you should already have some basic Python knowledge).