Back to Usable Security

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Usable Security by University of Maryland, College Park

This course focuses on how to design and build secure systems with a human-centric focus. We will look at basic principles of human-computer interaction, and apply these insights to the design of secure systems with the goal of developing security measures that respect human performance and their goals within a system....

IR
Jun 20, 2016

I like how in depth this gets. it explains it very well an in ways for people who are starting off in this field to get a basic understanding in exactly what we are learning. very well put together!

DG
Jun 28, 2016

Despite not being very fond of areas such as human-computer interaction, I found this course to be well-presented and useful. Definitely a necessity for anyone planning on building secure software.

701 - 718 of 718 Reviews for Usable Security

By matthew a

Aug 19, 2021

seems the course has no updates for many years.

the first module is mostly about human computer interaction and the appropriateness about usability.

the first assignment requires you to post a screenshot of your work - only you cant actually post a screenshot because its not possible instead you need to use a third party site and provide a link somehting you need to work out for yourself. However given the assignment is about a "hall fo shame" for usability its interesting that the assignment is totally unusable. There are queries about this from 2016 which are unanswered.

I first used coursera nearly 10 years ago with one of the very first courses in R programing - it feels you're losing the way and the philosophy of the origional purpose. I never understood how it could all be free so enrolling in coursera plus was a good way of paying for something, but while the content is reasonably good, the lack of updates and the feeling that I'm doing a course that hasnt been looked at in 5 years made me feel let down. Admittedly I didnt go past week 2 but the experience in week 1didnt inspire me to go much further.

By Joan C

Nov 17, 2016

Honestly i only finished week 1. I was sorely disappointed that the quizzes were locked. I wasn't aware that if you audit the course you were not allowed to complete the quizzes as other courses offer this option. From what I gather from week 1 the course topics seems really good. I think it would be great if you consider letting persons who audit take the quizzes otherwise what's the use - I mean i could always go on youtube and watch videos on the same topics, the difference with coursera courses is that you get the opportunity to test the knowledge gained by doing quizzes and assignment. I hope you will consider allowing everyone to take the quiz. My issue above is the reason why I gave the course a 1 out of 5.

By J. N

Apr 23, 2016

This is a course for students with little or no work experience. I've been in the industry for twenty years and found some good information, but the quizes aren't designed for experienced adult learners. Not being able to discuss with the professor why an answer is incorrect or even knowing exactly what about an answer makes it incorrect further distances the students from learning. Given that one essentially spends an extra work day each week on the course, I expected more value for my precious time. This week I decided the value isn't there. I might recommend the course for undergrad students but not for working adults.

Aug 24, 2017

This course is horribly, sloppily put together. The videos have inconsistent volume (sometimes they're loud, sometimes they're quiet) and they look like they were edited by a college student (don't you just LOVE that default Final Cut Pro font?)

On top of that, though this might be Coursera's fault, every video would get near the end and then immediately restart from the beginning, without actually reaching the end of the video. I found that incredibly annoying.

By Hugo G

Apr 15, 2017

A shame it is part of the cybersecurity specialization. It is boring and full of obvious-psicology things like "passwords need to be secure but easy to remember". The instructor, at least, seems to have zero knowledge about software development. Everything we did in seven weeks could have been taught in one or two.

By Benjamin S

Apr 5, 2016

The entirety of this course can be taught in a few sentences. If there is too great a sacrifice to productivity for the sake of security, then people will find a way around any security mechanisms in place. If something is difficult to use, then people will likely not use it.

By Gábor E

Sep 27, 2016

This course have very little to do with actual security. Most of the time you will hear about how to design applications, and what is a good design policy.

By William P

Oct 24, 2016

This is the first course that will only let you grade the quiz if you purchase the course. Highly disappointed...

By Denis R

Dec 18, 2017

Too much attention is paid to Usability, there is no attention to the technical side of the question.

By Mustafa B P

Mar 21, 2020

This is way too basic. It almost has nothing to do with cybersecurity and especially "pentesting".

By Sumit G

Apr 16, 2019

Its all gas. Instructor should mention this that its for kids, full time waste

By ramy r s

Jun 22, 2019

it's not so good for introducing cyber security course

By Tao L

Dec 1, 2017

Not very useful, mostly common sense

By Pritam M