Back to User Experience: Research & Prototyping

Learner Reviews & Feedback for User Experience: Research & Prototyping by University of California San Diego

What makes for a great user experience? How can you consistently design experiences that work well, are easy to use and people want to use? This course will teach you the core process of experience design and how to effectively evaluate your work with the people for whom you are designing. You'll learn fundamental methods of design research that will enable you to effectively understand people, the sequences of their actions, and the context in which they work. Through the assignments, you’ll learn practical techniques for making sense of what you see and transform your observations into meaningful actionable insights and unique opportunity areas for design. You’ll also explore how to generate ideas in response to the opportunities identified and learn methods for making your ideas tangible. By answering specific questions and refining your concepts, you’ll move closer to making your ideas real. We’ll use cases from a variety of industries including health, education, transportation, finance, and beyond to illustrate how these methods work across different domains. Good luck and we hope you enjoy the course!...

HH

Feb 27, 2016

Really good course.\n\nHelped me understand the importance of interviews in making a product\n\nHelped me come up with many ideas for a single problem\n\ngave me a 260 degree view of user experience

GM

Mar 25, 2019

One of the greatest course on the whole specialisation. Very well written assignments and guidelines. The rest of specialisation should be like that!

76 - 100 of 120 Reviews for User Experience: Research & Prototyping

By Winnie C

Jul 04, 2019

This is my favorite course so far out of all the courses in the specialization!

By pathan n

Jul 16, 2017

Course was very helpful to gain knowledge also assignments brilliantly verify it.

Good experience and learning.

By Gisella E O

Oct 06, 2018

Excellent course! have taught me tools to execute UX in an easy way.

By Giny C

May 06, 2019

Interesting and practical course. Highly recommended.

By Santiago B

Feb 12, 2019

Helpful information, great examples and assignments.

By Luciana V M

Dec 09, 2018

A primeira semana achei meio fraca, mas aos poucos o conteúdo foi ficando cada vez mais interessante e os exercícios também!

By 鲜核桃

May 11, 2016

I really like this course assignments.

By Philipp U

Mar 31, 2016

Highlight of the course was the interview with the IDEO researcher. It's great that you have actual people from the industry bringing their knowledge to the table, I really liked that.

On the other hand, I think the course was in general too easy compared to the academic level of the previous courses of the specialization. Especially the assignments were not requiring the same amount of work / proof. For example conducting interviews would just require some written summary while previous courses required actually to record a full interview to soundcloud. I think the course was especially missing the assignment on prototyping, which would be really important. It was kindof just skipped and we students were not asked to actually build prototypes. I think the course should be harder and request more effort from the students.

By Elena M

Sep 15, 2016

Excellent practical course. I consider assignments to be more valuable than any lectures, though maybe in this particular course I could welcome a bit more theory and even better — more user case details.

By Xin P

Feb 06, 2016

This is a basic and introduction course to user experience and prototyping. The projects every week are pretty interesting and useful for you to think like designers. I hope there will be more detailed examples of design techniques in the video.

By Ngo T D L

Sep 08, 2016

I enjoyed the lecture of Ms. Gerber. She has a very clear-cut way of explanation that truly draws me in. However, some of the concept in this lecture is taught without complete examples, so often time I find myself a little puzzled doing the assignment. Also, I would appreciate more chance to do more assignments to fully master the topic, though I understand the limit of a MOOC. Nevertheless, nice course!

By Stephen B

Sep 20, 2017

Good and engaging. I enjoyed this course and the felt the assignments afforded me the opportunity to internalize the ideas.

By celina o

Apr 07, 2016

Very clear course with many exercices and a good combo with the other courses of this specialisation with the introduction of a different teacher

By silvio r

Nov 09, 2016

great course!

By LUCÍA S B

Mar 07, 2016

The course is very good.

By Lauren V

Feb 06, 2016

There could have been more content and the course been more challenging, otherwise loved it!

By Ruben E

May 01, 2017

Good course! Learned from others.

By priyatosh k

Jan 24, 2016

awesome tutorial

By Vinod

Jun 29, 2017

good learning

By Joseph K

Jan 05, 2018

This course has helped me understand the methods and techniques used to capture user behaviour, pain points and provide solutions based on the observations. Thanks Elizabeth & Scott for such a wonderful course.

By Manny O

Nov 29, 2016

The assignments for this course are more hands on than course 4

By Aqeel A

Nov 02, 2017

Nice Course, highly recommended. But not happy with the review process as some people are not giving correct or serious, feedback which cause unnecessary effort on the submissions. Other than that nice course. Good Luck :)

By ZHUO W

Aug 04, 2017

More assignment samples should be given...because it is really easy to sway from the right path for me ...

By Evita D

Jan 04, 2018

Useful content and presentation, but I expected a bit more from prototyping.

By Stephanie B

Apr 03, 2018

This course covers A LOT of important concepts very quickly. It's a great introduction to stakeholder maps, conducting field research, ideation, personas, and journeymaps. But the lectures touch on each of these concepts so briefly that I found myself needing to supplement the course material with additional independent research most of the time, especially for the assignments.

The stakeholder map, persona, and journeymap prompts did not provide enough examples. For instance, 2 of the 3 journeymap examples provided were either not legible or not in English. The one that was legible was not a good example because it did not include most of the things we were supposed to show on ours.

Still, the course introduced me to concepts that I needed to learn going into UX that I wouldn't have otherwise known about. Overall the course is quite good, but there is room to expand a bit on the current material and make it even better.