Back to Design Thinking for Innovation

Today innovation is everyone's business. Whether you are a manager in a global corporation, an entrepreneur starting up, in a government role, or a teacher in an elementary school, everyone is expected to get lean – to do better with less. And that is why we all need design thinking. At every level in every kind of organization, design thinking provides the tools you need to become an innovative thinker and uncover creative opportunities that are there – you're just not seeing them yet. In this course, developed at the Darden School of Business at the University of Virginia and taught by top-ranked faculty, we provide an overview of design thinking and work with a model containing four key questions and several tools to help you understand design thinking as a problem solving approach. We also look at several stories from different organizations that used design thinking to uncover compelling solutions....

LM
Sep 22, 2019

I really liked the peer reviews at the end. It was a great way to view other examples of how different projects, industries, and teams have used design thinking. The course was easy to follow as well.

RB
Sep 14, 2020

Very well explained with lots of practical examples - would highly recommend this course to anyone looking at getting an initial understanding of design thinking and how it can be applied practically.

176 - 200 of 1,974 Reviews for Design Thinking for Innovation

By James C

Jul 26, 2020

I enjoyed this learning, the content, the videos and the visualisations that support them. I enjoyed the assignment at the end and getting the opportunity to learn how others applied the learning by reviewing their assignment submissions. Thank you!

By Matthias G

Nov 24, 2016

The course content and material was very well put together and enabled a well paced learning within the provided duration. However I'd suggest that the assignment gets some more information early on as if it is left too late the time may be limited.

By Kim H M

Jun 4, 2020

In the limited course time available, Professor Liedtka and others such as Prof. Hesse delivered a well-planned, passionate and inspiring overview of the use of Design Thinking. The real-world case studies were also helpful and thought-provoking.

By Marco B

Jan 23, 2020

I found this course very useful since it demystified the word design as something only for specialists. I've learned that this innovation approach is for everybody, it is consistent and it is effective in business. Thanks a lot Professor Liedtka.

By Alejandra O

Jul 19, 2016

Me gusto mucho el curso ya que ademas de la parte teórica, se enriquece el contenido con casos de éxito, testimoniales de expertos y otros recursos que le dan dinámica al curso. Los facilitadores hacen una buena labor cumpliendo las expectativas.

By Su S M

Oct 25, 2016

I learn so much and how the video lectures are presented really break it down very easy to understand. I find the information very useful to my own entrepreneurship and design thinking processes. I feel ready to try out some of these steps soon.

By Carlton Y

May 25, 2017

The content kept my attention! It's important to take good notes and revisit some of the course material for your own self-growth and knowledge. I completed early and was very fulfilled with the subject mater. I would definitely recommend this!

By Luis G O R

Aug 24, 2019

Excellent course. It gave me the tools to better understand techniques and tools to address every day problems on a work environment. Congratulations to all the professors and teachers who gave their time to put together this course.

Thank you!

By Alina M

Feb 29, 2020

Nice high level overview of what is design thinking and what are some tools and strategies that can be used when trying to use innovation to solve a problem. Great stories and examples by the lecturers. Course was simple and easy to complete.

By Kristian S

Aug 7, 2020

This course was very useful since we try to implement a very similar process. The course showed me an alternate way to look at the design thinking/digital innovation process. The course was well laid out, structured and executed. Thank you.

By Shivaji S

Apr 7, 2020

This is a very good course for people who want to start off on design thinking, Jean taught the concepts and techniques very well. The examples provided in the course really shows the value that design thinking can bring to an organization.

By Darshan S S

Jan 19, 2020

I felt in love of COURSERA courses ! Very lean information that i learned from this course. It will be really helpful to implement learning from this course into regular project activities. I'm damn sure it will help me to get best results.

By Jorge A B G

Mar 16, 2018

It was a very nice and interesting experience, and a proper beginning for me to study Design Thinking. I agree with the students who want another version of this course, with more advanced concepts and applications.

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed.

By Anah V

Jul 22, 2017

This is a great course! I'm two weeks down and am already able to apply what I've learnt. The course breaks down complicated topics to easily process able bits and pieces. Jeanne is a great teacher and has good clarity in explaining things.

By Luis D R

Dec 10, 2017

Through simple insights, real life examples and great visualization tools, this course offers in a few weeks enough material to change your perspective about alternative ways to tackle big and small scale problems. I'd recommend to anyone.

By Sara S

Jun 4, 2020

According to me the course which i have selected was really very interesting, i got to learn many things from the case studies

I would like to thanks the whole team of coursera to teach me this concept and spend your valuable time with me.

By Karen W

Apr 7, 2020

Very thought provoking and stimulating presentations. All lectures felt more like conversations rather than lectures. This made learning more enjoyable. Overall course added greatly to new experiences in design work in my new position.

By Martin K M

Feb 12, 2019

Design Thinking for Innovation is one challenging course but when you get to understand it it is one course that gets you thinking on your own accord. I myself had been stuck in analysis paralysis until Coursera gave me this opportunity.

By Bryan A L J

Sep 20, 2019

el curso es super interesante, son vídeos cortos y se te pasa super rápido el tiempo mirándolos ademas que la estructura de coursera te hace sentir como que vas subiendo de nivel completando objetivos y te animas a seguirle, me gusta :)

By Dovie M C

May 9, 2018

This is a great course and I learned a lot from it. However lectures are already outdated. My suggestion for the University of Virginia is to update their lectures for I saw in one of the clips that the lectures are dated way back 2010.

By Mateo S

May 1, 2020

Excellent course giving a thorough overview of design thinking and how it applies to complex problems. Engaging and well paced modules that go over the different stages of design thinking and some of the key tools to make it practical.

By Anirban P

Jun 11, 2020

This was a beautifully structured journey through the exciting path of Design Thinking. My heartfelt gratitude goes for Jeanne & the team to teach us this emerging topic in such a lucid, focused, and practical way. Highly recommended.

By Vineeth K

Feb 25, 2019

Learnt a lot about Design Thinking! The practical assignment in the 5th week helped me reinforce the material I learnt in the course. Thank you University of Virginia and Coursera for giving me an opportunity to learn Design Thinking!

By Alexander

Jul 22, 2020

An excellent short course from best selling author and professor at Darden School of Business. Clear and compelling content delivered in a very efficient manner.

Recommend to those who want a quality introduction into design thinking.

By Antti K

Aug 2, 2020

I particularly liked the peer reviewed assignment at the end. Not all peer submissions from other users were made seriously, but for me it was a good opportunity to think about what I have learned and how it is applied in practice.