Back to Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

In this course, you will examine how storytelling acts as a vital mechanism for driving video gameplay forward. Looking at several historical and contemporary games, you will be asked to evaluate and interpret different story styles with the goal of identifying themes and procedures for your own game ideas. We'll examine traditional narrative story processes, such as three-act structure, and how they fit into game story flows and the strategic elements of gameplay. Ultimately, you will learn how to define character, setting, and structure to create a compelling game concept....

DA

Nov 07, 2017

This is so helpful. It covers all the essentials of developing a good story, applicable in any form of media, then it focuses on converting the story to a game by adding interactive gameplay elements.

RB

Feb 24, 2016

I am glad that I have chosen to sign up to this course. It has open up my vision to a whole new world. Thanks so very much. The professor is engaging and the course content is fascinating.

176 - 200 of 202 Reviews for Story and Narrative Development for Video Games

By Sérgio C C

Mar 22, 2016

I liked the course. To improve, could become more dynamic , but the teacher is to be congratulated .

By Elena S N

Aug 03, 2020

It is an excellent course, funny and interesting, but sometimes the content is too basic.

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Great course for expanding your writing skills in relation to storytelling in games.

By Daniel

Feb 24, 2016

This course gives actionable ideas about design characters and story lines.

By Antonia P C

May 30, 2017

I enjoyed a lot this course, showed quite well technics and tips to write

By Anirudh C

Dec 17, 2018

pretty interesting. so many aspects to learn about story writing.

By Carlo S C

Sep 10, 2016

A nice course, but there is lack of teachers participation.

By Mikiodelg

Nov 17, 2015

Really nice way to know hot to present a Story!

By Ruaan G

Nov 30, 2018

Best part of this specialization

By Samin M

Sep 29, 2017

Great course!

By Alexis P C

Jul 07, 2020

Taking the Story and Narrative Development for Video Games have helped me gain a basic understanding of developing stories for video games, etc. I was fortunate enough to learn from the constructive feedback received from peers in the class, which helped me improve and expand on my ideas in the course assignments. This course helped me apply exercises introduced in the course to everyday life when watching movies and reading stories.

I'm giving 3/5 stars because again, the course mentors did not seem involved in students' questions posted on the discussion forums. I posted a question regarding an assignment's missing grade only for it to be answered a week later. Many students have posted questions on the discussion forums from previous courses and this one only for most left unanswered.

I've left a similar review regarding lack of involvement of course mentors, and I'm disappointed to leave another review about it again. When course mentors are actively involved, it helps us learners to understand course materials and make learning enjoyable when interacting with others.

By Shanna S

Mar 19, 2019

This course was a little bit a shock for me. It had no continuity with the previous one, which was kinda a pity. Also, I had a hard time with the last two homework of week 3 and week 4, since a ''story'' is imposed to you, and you have to re-write within that...I would have preferred that we did the same exercise with the kid story chosen in the first two lessons(week 1 and 2). I wouldn't recommend it if you have already experience with writing because it was very discouraging for me, I almost wanted to skip the course, but I want that specialization so I had to complete it. But if you don't have experience in writing at all, maybe it could help you because the teacher explains to you his method to help you find your ideas for building your narrative, and also for describing your characters and their motives etc.

By Brit T

Nov 17, 2016

I appreciate knowing more now than I did before about story writing. I know better now how to approach assessing a story and critiquing it, and I really want to work on a story of my own next!

Not going to lie, though, this course was difficult to immerse myself in simply because of the examples: I'm not into guns, not into muscle, not into violence, and every single example was either of men, or how a female's mission centered around the men in her life. If I could suggest a change in this course, it would be to consider all the different backgrounds of the people taking the course, and give examples that are more inclusive.

By vanessarocks

Mar 01, 2018

I like that the instructions and lessons are easy to follow for a beginner. I am not a hardcore gamer but still I was able to understand the lessons and the examples given were quite helpful. What could be improved though is the Peer Review mechanics - I have submitted my assignment early but the review of my work came late. I don't want to pay for the course again in the next month, I really wanted to finish on time, but apparently that is not even in your control even if you submit on time.

By Laura R

Aug 24, 2020

Although I did enjoy the challenges proposed, the content was rather basic. I feel like the work we've done on week 1 and 2 where wasted as soon as week 3 came. My suggestion is to integrate all the challenges. I'd only suggest this course for real beginners.

By Kristen F

Aug 17, 2017

This was ok, but not really for me. I feel like this can be very helpful for some who struggle with story and narrative writing, but for those who have taken courses and studied this already, it was repetitive and tiresome.

By M L W

Oct 17, 2016

Concepts are interesting, the assignments are not. Writing and re-writing about the teacher's generic game example. Not much opportunity to work on your own content.

By Tatiana W

Sep 20, 2018

Great course content but only 3 stars because after being finished for over a month I am still waiting for someone to review my final assignment.

By Juan C D M

Dec 24, 2015

The course is ok, but it doesn't give any certificate of completition for free users (something that many other courses do give).

By Deborah M M

Nov 19, 2015

Good overview of narrative and a breakdown of key story elements such as character and setting.

By レヷブレート サ

May 14, 2016

The material is OK, but it just felt so boring

By Francisco N

Dec 03, 2015

The content is good but is too focus in the 3 act structure, and don't explain the narration techniques specifically to videogames genres. The assignments were too repetitives and don't add variety or feeling of progression through the course. I recommend the course for who don't know the basis of the narrative structure, but not for people like me who work in the audiovisual world.