Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 20, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

JK

Sep 10, 2020

This is a fantastic course to run your imagination to it's top! You can built your own game world and show it to other students. The learning curve is definitely improving with this course!

176 - 181 of 181 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Joshua B

Jun 26, 2017

This course didn't interest me very much. I now know about maps of world design, one more facet to video game development.

By レヷブレート サ

May 15, 2016

articulation needs to be improved, talked too fast, content doesn't give much

By mayank s

Feb 16, 2016

The course is very abstract.

By Pawel S

Dec 15, 2015

few specifics and examples

By Breanne C

Sep 7, 2018

This instructor is incredibly difficult to listen to, his cadence and non-neutral accent make it a conscious effort to focus on what he's saying rather than how he says it. If you're uncomfortable in front of a camera, that's fine, just team up with someone who can present your material on your behalf; this is why we can collaborate with others to whom our strengths compliment one another. I highly advise that Théo take a second pass at the video content with a colleague who is comfortable in front of a camera and has a neutral speaking voice, as I'm finding that I am absorbing little to no content (which is rather counterproductive) unless I pause the video and simply read the transcript.

By Federico

Jul 24, 2021

Finished week 3 and I can say that just few of the videos and info are helpful. Play some videogames and skip this course.