Back to Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript by University of London

In this course you will learn three key website programming and design languages: HTML, CSS and JavaScript. You will create a web page using basic elements to control layout and style. Additionally, your web page will support interactivity. At the end of the course, you will be able to: 1. Define the purpose of HTML, CSS and JavaScript 2. Make a simple web page using HTML 3. Use CSS to control text styles and layout 4. Use CSS libraries such as Bootstrap to create responsive layouts 5. Use JavaScript variables and functions 6. Manipulate web page content using JavaScript 7. Respond to user input using JavaScript In this course, you will complete: 2 assignments writing HTML, CSS and JavaScript, each taking ~1 hour to complete 4 quizzes, each taking ~20 minutes to complete 1 programming exercise~30 minutes to complete multiple practice quizzes, each taking ~5 minutes to complete Participation in or completion of this online course will not confer academic credit for University of London programmes....

DA
May 26, 2018

This is an excellent course for the basics in html, css and js I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wanted to build a simple but interactive website using one of the many frameworks available

CM
Oct 10, 2017

Thought the course did a great job of teaching the basics without getting too ahead of itself. All of the sample code was well commented out to explain exactly what the code did which was very helpful

51 - 75 of 1,544 Reviews for Responsive Website Basics: Code with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript

By dave

Aug 9, 2016

i started with web 1.0 back in 1996 and did not go further with html because too many constraints for layouts back then. wow, css and javascript really solved many problems encountered back then. thanks for a great intro to what's possible now making responsive sites.

By Muhammad U

Apr 21, 2020

I really enjoyed learning with this institute,excellent teachers and excellent place for study online.i am really thankful to the all team members to provide us with such excellent platform.Thanks Coursera, Thanks UNIVERSITY OF LONDON GOLDSMITHS, UNIVERSITY OF LONDON.

By Dana N

May 7, 2016

Good class, easy if you've already studied the subject before. But, it does provide you a simple way to get started on some projects. Could use some proofreading on some of it's quizzes (possibly the British English influencing the syntax of the written language).

By Manuel R

Oct 8, 2015

This is could be too basic for some peolple with experience in programming but its learning curse is smooth and gives all necessary background for make more complex projects and as they say, don't limitate yourselves with just what you were given.

Great job, guys!!

By Lemme V

Feb 18, 2016

Very good start to front-end programming. The instructors engaged the audience well and explained the concepts clearly and in detail.

There was a exponental jump between week 3 lectures and week 3 quiz. I had to do much additional research on the web to pass that.

By Lucas G D

Jan 31, 2016

Great basic course!

Some parts are really easy if you know basic programming, but it is REALLY simple and straightforward for people with no experience at all programming.

Very well done! I highly recommend this introduction to Responsive Website development.

By 何秋鸣

Dec 11, 2015

The course covers some aspects of front-end web development lightly and give me a good start to interactive web app.I have an idea to construct my last homework to a very simple game but encountering some troubles.To summarize this course,it is wonderful!

By Kanerain S

Mar 20, 2016

This lecture is what I desirably wanted. It is the perfect course for especially such a novice like me. I didn't know how to start the web and I couldn't distinguish between HTML, CSS and Javascript. Through this course, I think I have great chance to try

By Gerelmaa

Oct 27, 2015

It was very nice and valuable course for me. I teach myself how to code and make website. In the result of this course, I obtained new valuable things such as bootstrap, jquery, etc.

Thank you very much.

I wish the success for your impressive great job.

By Eleonora V R

Mar 4, 2016

Sono rimasta molto soddisfatta di questo corso: ho imparato un sacco di nozioni in più e ora posso dire di saper creare un responsive website. Oltre al fatto che, essendo in inglese il corso, ho rispolverato il mio inglese, imparando i termini tecnici.

By Adnan Z

Oct 19, 2015

The instructors at the University of London were excellent personalities with very good communication skills. Once again, perfected online education surpasses expensive in-class university classes in preparing people for the digital economy we live in.

By Aashish L P

Nov 11, 2020

A great introductory course in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery & Bootstrap. It doesn't goes very deep into each of these technologies but it gives you enough foundations for you to pursue further.

By José P S S

Sep 7, 2020

Excelente curso con explicaciones muy claras y evaluaciones sencillas.

By Christophe V

Oct 5, 2015

I have followed 2 courses at the same time: this one and "HTML, CSS and Javascript". They are covering the similar topics but this class has fallen short on most of the subject.

Lecture time is very little. Short videos, and few of them. Each video is mostly non-focused talking, very few examples and so you don't learn much.

By comparison, the other class has a lot of videos, each video is much longer and goes into many examples. Time is spent on focusing on the things to learn, and you get a lot out of it.

I am dropping out of this specialization and will follow the other one which I hope will bring good content (unfortunately the following classes are not from the same teacher but from the same university). The following classes from this specialization are from the same teacher, so I don't think things will improve much.

By Shuai Y

Jul 16, 2017

1.The course doesn't specify on important details in HTML such as some of the most used tags, it only teaches several and doesn't even give explanation. And it doesn't offer references for learners to self-teach them other tags. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to master Html after only viewing this course, let alone being confident to move on to CSS (fortunately I already learned those things from other tutorials and just came here to view the basics, while this course is not a good tutorial for either beginners or medium learners).

2. The instructor is clearly not well-prepared with frequent stammers, pauses, slip of the tongue, and mistakes in demonstration of making websites. He might be a good front-end engineer, but not a good teacher who should express himself explicitly.

By Sarah M

Sep 23, 2020

I was very familiar with all of the concepts taught and was able to complete this course in a couple hours. This is what I was expecting, I had the opportunity to take free Coursera courses so I figured this would be an easy certificate. But this isn't why I am giving it a two star rating. I have taken many basics tutorials...I feel sorry for anyone who paid for this because this is the most simplistic fundamental course I have ever seen on the subject. This is not suitable for adults and shouldn't be on this website. This is suitable for 4th graders...or people that aren't fluent in speaking English, it's that rudimentary. This isn't a bad thing...this just isn't the right platform for this class.

By Tanya H K N

Mar 29, 2016

Suitable neither for absolute beginners nor as a stand-alone course. For example, there are things that the quiz questions refer to that haven't been covered in the course, but you can't even look them up because they haven't given you the necessary terminology to find relevant information about them on google. This means that you'll be left looking through a minefield of resources that include the code in the quiz question but are actually about something else.

I have now started using Lynda instead, and am seeing all the bad habits I've picked up and the holes left in my knowledge. Normally I prefer Lynda to Coursera for the assignments and the quizzes, but not in this case...

By Mathew T

Nov 21, 2019

Very basic content, which is fine. The real drawback is that the homework assignments can be done without actually learning any of the content. One assignment, supposedly checking your understanding of bootstrap/html/css, requires only that the student replace certain images in the provided code. This could be done with zero knowledge of the programming languages, and provides students with zero impetus to grow. Other general problems exist, e.g. with the peer grading schema.

By Muhammad Z K

Dec 24, 2016

I haven't completed the course yet but after html and css and some javascript, I didn't feel like continuing. the instructor doesn't suit me... kind of monotonous tbh. the content of the course seemed good but instructors play a huge role on delivering those content to the students so it just didn't work for me. especially the short haired instructor with constant hand movement and unblinking stare which is quite unnerving...

By austin k

Feb 2, 2016

The instructors are very knowledgeable, but the course seems to have the , "we just threw this together at the last minute feel". Many of the Quizzes are very poorly worded. The final project is a bit of a disaster as some of the reviewers are unable to unzip a generic '.gz' file and you can end up getting 0 points from those particular incompetent types.

By Markus R

Mar 15, 2016

I am really disappointed, to be honest! Course covers mostly trivial stuff; lectures are just presenting code snippets; many inaccuracies; nothing about HTML5; entire 4-week-class can easily be completed in one week.

Definitely not near the quality I am used to from Coursera. Udacity’s "Intro to HTML and CSS" and "JavaScript Basics" are way better.

By Cheryl L D

Oct 11, 2015

Very hard to follow unless you have had a good deal of experience with programming. I would not really recommend. Like the teachers OK, but they all went through too much material way too fast and without proper explanation. I will take other classes on programming and then come back to this one again later (maybe).

By Ahmed M S

Nov 11, 2015

many question in the quiz wasn't covered in the video lectures. I enrolled in this course looking for refreshing my info about the 3 subjects and hopefully gaining new in-depth info about them but the information presented during the course was very trivial and only covered few parts about the main 3 subjects

By Dipika J

Mar 8, 2017

Introduced too many tools in a single course. Javascript, CSS, JQuery is very vast and it is not possible to learn everything in one course. They should have been introduced one by one. It took a lot of time for me to capture what the video taught. I had to do a LOT of self learning

By James K

Nov 9, 2015

This course needs an overhaul. There are mistakes in some code examples and quiz questions are sometimes ambiguous. While I appreciate the work that has gone into making this MOOC, there are better courses available on Coursera to learn this material.