Back to Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling by University of Pennsylvania

How can you put data to work for you? Specifically, how can numbers in a spreadsheet tell us about present and past business activities, and how can we use them to forecast the future? The answer is in building quantitative models, and this course is designed to help you understand the fundamentals of this critical, foundational, business skill. Through a series of short lectures, demonstrations, and assignments, you’ll learn the key ideas and process of quantitative modeling so that you can begin to create your own models for your own business or enterprise. By the end of this course, you will have seen a variety of practical commonly used quantitative models as well as the building blocks that will allow you to start structuring your own models. These building blocks will be put to use in the other courses in this Specialization....

AP

Jun 16, 2019

Very clear and articulate explanation of the concepts. He doesn't skip a step in the sequencing ideas, drawing comparisons and differences, and illustrating both visually and story-telling. Excellent.

NC

Jul 31, 2019

Very nice course for beginner, the mathematic level is not high (around french baccalaureat) so available to everyone. I enjoyed a lot this course that show how simple math can be used in real life.

776 - 787 of 787 Reviews for Fundamentals of Quantitative Modeling

By Andrey V

Dec 31, 2016

Just the basics. No concrete explanations of models. You have to study them on your own.

By Marta

Mar 19, 2017

The student needed to have a good foundation of statistics and high levels of math to be able to follow the class. I have not taken statistics or trigonometry in many years so I struggled. I would have benefited greatly if there were more examples of how to calculate the models, including the calculations part of it. The professor did not do that and that got me wondering (not knowing) how to calculate the formulas. I think if I had seen a few examples, it would have been enough to understand and keep up.

So, more step-by-step instructions on the mechanics of formulas, would be my biggest recommendation.

But the professor did a superb job explaining the concepts, and showcasing some industry applications of the models.

Thank you for asking.

By Savannah B

Jul 01, 2018

If you have taken a statistics course in the past, this course is not super useful besides understanding which models are used for specific business problems.

By Leah M

Mar 31, 2018

Explanations not clear. Difficult to follow equations in slides (variables and equations are not repeated from slide to slide).

By pierre r

Feb 27, 2019

bof, pas assez concret pour mon travail

By xiaoyan y

Apr 24, 2018

boring, it doesn't like other quants course.

By Winthrop Y

Mar 05, 2016

Locked quizzes :(

By Alex B

Mar 06, 2016

The course is poor. Exams are too easy, video lessons are boring and not engaging. Content is poor too. Did not like the course.

By Rob B

May 12, 2016

I do not intend this to be mean, but I could not listen to Richard Waterman. I am British and I understand that Richard was born in the UK but spent a great many years in the US. If he had a BritiI really struggled to listen to him as his accent crosses the Atlantic several times a sentence. I found I couldn't listen to WHAT he was saying because I was so distracted by HOW he was saying it. I am sorry, there is probably nothing that he can do about it and the course looked very interesting but I simply could not bring myself to continue.

By Daniel M

Jun 29, 2017

it was trivial

By Matheus V

Jul 11, 2017

I thought that course was more specific. I will expect more applications examples.

By Shaina K

Nov 30, 2017

It's too easy ... I can learn this on google.