Back to What is Data Science?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What is Data Science? by IBM

The art of uncovering the insights and trends in data has been around since ancient times. The ancient Egyptians used census data to increase efficiency in tax collection and they accurately predicted the flooding of the Nile river every year. Since then, people working in data science have carved out a unique and distinct field for the work they do. This field is data science. In this course, we will meet some data science practitioners and we will get an overview of what data science is today....

RS

Very learning experience, I am a beginner in DS, but the instructors in this course simplified the contents that made me I could easily understand, tools and materials were very helpful to start with.

SB
Sep 9, 2019

8476 - 8500 of 8,600 Reviews for What is Data Science?

By Filippo P

Jan 25, 2021

The course is good but the support in case of issue is absent or very slow (at least).

When I try to repeat a quiz that I did not pass, the website just drag me again in the summary page in a kind of infinite loop.

How many days shall I wait prior I can re-do the quiz? I do not infinite time to study and now that I have the it I am stuck on a quiz that I can't repeat.

Awful.

By Lyn S

Aug 15, 2019

Useless BS Fluff class. Make some of this optional reading in another class, but don't make is seem like it has any value. You risk loosing people in different cert programs. It makes a cert program look inflated, such as 9 classes...with this being one of them it's really only eight classes. Then you start with this BS and you question the value of the entire program.

Dec 24, 2019

Too basic, useless and total waste of time and money. You get nothing out of this course except for some basic information about data science that you could have easily learned from various free online sources out there. I agree with other reviewers that the only purpose of this course is to drag out the certification process so that it costs you more money...

By Олимпиева Н В

Jan 27, 2019

During this course, be prepared to wade through the huge paragraphs of the text. There are not so many practical exercises, just two, so most of the time you will play the game is true-false. The final assignment is not much about practising big data or data science technologies. I hope there will be increasing of the number of practical tasks.

By sandeep a

Aug 26, 2020

waste of my money. Did not learn anything new, may be good for people coming from non-technical background. Video snippets without much technical value or learning isn't of much value to me.

The image recognition exercise is also not up to the mark in detecting parameters. I felt very disappointed and at loss with this course.

By Sudhanshu k s

Apr 28, 2020

i was charged for this course without any prior notification mine money was deducted from mine account when I requested for refund there was proper channel to place query regarding refund. coursera is just a fake they take money in the name of education , it was mine life biggest mistake to come here

By Javier J

Aug 20, 2020

This is really bad, I completed this course last month, and got the badge, no my grades disappeared, with not answer from teaching staff or coursera support, I'm not the only one.

I have to redo the course, due to the lack of support, I just want my professional certificate.

By Rudi G P W

Jun 9, 2020

The quiz questions throughout the course seem to be asking the queston 'Have you studied?' instead of 'Did you learn the anything?'. This approach does not work well for me. I don't need to know the exact wording of a sentence to know if the meaning of it is correct.

By Rebecca B H

Jul 21, 2019

This section of the course feels like a complete waste of time... Most people who have signed up for this program know what data science is and watching a bunch of random people give generic speeches about their opinion on it is boring and a waste of my time.

By Shruthi K

Jan 10, 2020

There is nothing new I have learnt here., to know the definition of Data Science and its applications why would someone do a course of it, instead one can browse the definitions in Google search. It's just waste of money to invest in the course like this.

By SANKET P

May 29, 2019

Not at all worth it.

Just provides insights to the field in layman terms without actually providing knowledge to a beginner.

All the lessons in the course are just interviews with people.

I do not recommend this course at all.

Would have rated it 0.5/5

By SMH

Aug 28, 2019

Self serving plug by the author to promote his book and his thesis work. There are much better courses

Note to Coursera: The slides and videos are outdated. There are a number of forum posts calling for help.

Dismal experience. Worst course ever.

By Ivan B

May 23, 2020

Google Simulating Environment has the bugs and when you writing to Support, this rich guys stat you to do a free "PROD" testing : no way, it's theirs bugs, and I have my own. What the hell are paid for?

Shame on YOU IBM for such solution!

By John P k

Aug 7, 2020

My course progress was DELETED!!!!! I finished this a couple of weeks ago. Once i completed the third course in the progression for Data Science Professional it didnt send me my badge and erased the progress for the first course!!!!

By Monika

Jun 29, 2020

The information provided in this course is very superficial and very outdated. By reading the first paragraph of the Wikipedia page for Data Science you will learn more that if you complete this course. Very disappointing.

By Имангулов А Б

Jul 3, 2019

surprisingly lazy and unnecessary course, that brave enough.

where other stupidoes goes with 1-2 inspirational videos about data science, IBM did freaking 3-week course about these videos.

skip this, you won't need it.

By Shipra S

I expected to get a certificate for the one course I did. They did not provide for that, and despite for asking for a separate payment for every course, they denied on giving separate certificates for the same!

By Anil V

Dec 11, 2020

Very basic course. The quality of questions in the quizs were not good and few questioned were on random information (like name of report or a statistic mentioned in the reading) rather than conceptual details

By Sunitha G H L

Aug 11, 2020

There is no option for me to complete the course after missing the assignment submission. There is no proper support available they give the support link but no support rep to talk for resolving any issue.

By Kai N

Jun 6, 2020

IBMCloud platform it uses to buggy to be used as tool to teach, error messages from the tool not helpful and I spent time on the ibmcloud errors then on the actual course. Would not recommend to anyone.

By Domenica V

Oct 13, 2020

El problema con este curso es que la calificación final depende de que otras personas envíen sus trabajos y uno los pueda calificar. Me retraso y tengo que pagar meses de más por no poder avanzar.

By Aaron C

Sep 25, 2020

They need to have a better approach for certain assignments, forcing you to wait for another person to complete an assignment just so you can complete a peer review is a incredibly frustrating.

By Demian O L

Jun 2, 2020

I cant believe you guys charge real fucking money for this fucking youtube video of a course. I could easil learn more, and with way more in depth and precise info, from a crappy youtube video.

By Shyam S

Aug 7, 2019

poorly organized weak content. This course has a extremely light workload that can be finished in a couple of hours. Looks stupid to lock the students from taking the assignments for 2 weeks.

By Zeyad K Q

I have completed this course and got the certificate ad teh badges , and now showing me it never been taken ...! Could any one fix this that and add the course back to my learning path ...!