Back to Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order by University of Michigan

This course will teach you how to use your written words to become more persuasive. You’ll learn creative ways to use syntax, effective techniques for telling stories, and a clever method for arranging a complex series of information. You’ll also get a chance to both professionalize your use of punctuation and add a bit of style and sophistication to how you craft everything from sentences to slogans. In addition, you’ll get access to a wide range of books and other resources you can use even after you finish the course. These include (1) the readings and exercises provided to the students who have taken the in-person version of this course at the University of Michigan and the University of Chicago; (2) two digital libraries of excellent writing from a diverse collection of journalists, scientists, novelists, poets, historians, and entrepreneurs; and (3) a monthly “Good Sentences” email. Social media has only accelerated the ways in which we all must learn to use our writing to connect, compete, and create—sometimes all at once. So join us for this first course in a four-part series and experience the many benefits, both personal and professional, of becoming “good with words.”...

PD

Dec 7, 2021

It is an excellent course that offers deep insights into the importance of words, it's usage in professional writing, and the impact it makes. I've learnt a lot from the course. Thank you Coursera.

GT

Nov 16, 2021

Professor Barry is skilled and compassionate in teaching the writing course. He's very clear with how he discuss concepts and make learning easier. And he's got a good taste in good sentences.

326 - 350 of 351 Reviews for Writing and Editing: Word Choice and Word Order

By fatima I

May 26, 2021

I learned so much from this course. Kudos to the Instructor.

By Melky P

Very insightful for non-native speaker audience!

By mubasher a

good course to understand writing techniques

By Orjuwan M A J A

Jun 23, 2020

Thank you for an interesting experience !

By Caterina A

Jul 24, 2020

Wish the course was a little bit harder.

By Patricia E C C

Nov 17, 2021

I enjoyed this class, very informaative

By Apoorva S

Feb 27, 2021

A much needed course for every field!

By 18BEN102_ A F

Jul 10, 2020

It was thoughtful and useful.

By Akshay J E J

Apr 8, 2021

nice

By Robyn J

Jun 25, 2022

I​ did not finish this specialty or this course because it was not what I expected. An honest name for the course would be: How to Spin Words So People See What You Want Them To See. I would like to be able to remove this course from my in-progress list.

By Kelly R

Jul 9, 2020

If you are looking for a straightforward kind of grammar class and writing style, you may get bored.

By Sana S

Jun 5, 2022

t​oo many references to make note of. Could've been simpler.

By Marcos A B L

Jul 27, 2021

Good course, but not what I was looking for.

By ximena

Dec 6, 2020

Not as interactive as I thought it would be.

By Arpita S

Jul 18, 2020

Quite good

By Ahmed M A E

May 6, 2022

The course is really weak! I just finished two other courses, one by Google and another by Arizona State University, and comparing these two to this one is like comparing gold to dust! The videos are boring and unengaging, the instructor is boring, the design f the course is bad, the quality of the video and audio is low, everything is just TERRIBLE! I was so motivated to take the whole specialization, but after just checking the first course, I lost any interest I got (yes, that's how bad it is!) The only good thing about this course is that it has many downloadable resources; that's why I am giving it 2 stars instead of 1 star.

By Vassilena G

Jun 27, 2020

The course is too slow. The material covered is often irrelevant. The illustrations are completely off and the message that the professor is trying to convey does not get through very easily. It is painful to follow.

By Aakanksha G

Jul 30, 2021

I liked some of the terms/concepts I learned in this class. But overall, I felt it was less about writing and editing and more about the circumstances around doing them well.

By Ahsan N

Nov 20, 2021

​course is too long, given too much reading material and there are too many discussion boxes and quiz, instructor use too many quotations of the writer to make it difficult and boring, you don’t get what are you getting, please make it simple and short so student like who’s the native language is not English can understand easily.

By Jesús A M E

Jun 22, 2022

Personally, I appreciate the instructor's time and effort in these courses, but it is a waste of time and money for the content I expected.