Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

376 - 400 of 464 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Ruth R

Jun 28, 2020

Excelente curso, aprendí mucho, sobre los diferentes puntos de vistas. pensar para quien va dirigido la historia, que tipo de historia me gustaría realizar, recordé cosas que había aprendido de niña, excelentes instructores, y las entrevistas muy dinámicas, valoro cada intervención.

By Jim O

Nov 11, 2020

I've graded it 4 out of 5 because I feel that it was so short. I feel like there are no next steps. I feel that the course gave me the tools I need to write a solid story, but it lacked guiding me through the process of moving forward (e.g. publishing).

By Kavita J

Aug 14, 2015

Great if you literally know nothing about writing but want to write. Otherwise, the first three modules cover basic story writing information. What's great is the interviews with authors and the ability to peer review and so, read all sorts of things.

By Jane K

Dec 9, 2016

This is the first MOOC I did and it was a great experience. The instructors and guests were pleasant and informative. The assignments were fun to do and the peer reviews were all respectful, most were very constructive.

Would recommend!

By Megan L

Mar 8, 2017

The course is great! However, there are no written examples of expectations for weeks 4 and 5 At least David Hill shows examples after lectures. Not everyone is an audible learner therefore written examples should be posted for week 5

By Quenntis A

Mar 28, 2017

I found the course to be a very good introduction and review for beginner writers and also experienced writers who just need a refresher of sorts. Comments from peers are the most helpful and motivational aspect of the course.

By Keith L

Jan 27, 2017

The course gave me some insight into the processes involved in editing and seeking publication. However, I feel it was too skewed toward writing for VERY young readers, whereas it was marketed as including Young Adult fiction.

By Kristle G

Mar 18, 2020

The instructors and guests provided very useful information and guidelines for writing for young readers. However, I did not find the assignments particularly helpful. I know this would be difficult to accomplish in a MOOC.

By Francis L G P

Sep 19, 2016

I've learned so much from this course. Not just about the whole writing process but also some valuable information on how to get your work published. Thanks for opening this treasure chest for new writers like me! Cheers!

By Luis F d C C G

Mar 1, 2016

This course was very nice, its objectives were clear and it gave a good panorama of the writing experience. The interviews with writers were interesting and some tips about editing and publishing were really valuable.

By Chika

Oct 9, 2020

The course was good and I learned a lot. However, I do not like the fact that the Instructors are not the ones grading the assignments. I feel peer grading should not be the basis for passing or failing the course.

By Ananda M

Oct 29, 2015

Overall an enjoyable course. I do find that the evaluation rubrics provided were a little bit unsatisfactory. In addition to improved rubrics, clearer instructions on how to use the rubrics would have been helpful.

By Paola F

Dec 14, 2020

This course was absolutely amazing, even if you don't want to write for a younger audience, it has great advice for any writers. I loved meeting and talking with people to help me improve. Try it, this is great!

By Laura M A

Mar 28, 2018

This course has reminded me how important has been always creative writing in my life. I did not like the texts we had to comment some times but other than that, I think it is a very nice course. I recommend it!

By LIDIA A A O

Jan 27, 2018

Para novatos es una excelente información para comenzar, y para escritores con más experiencia ayuda a reafirmar y recordar conocimientos, así como a ver las cosas en ojos de otros escritores experimentados.

By Tonya C

Apr 13, 2020

All tools provided we great. I thought there would be a little more information on writing for children. However, all the information I received was valuable and beneficial for my writing career.

By Silvia B

Aug 30, 2015

Very intetesting and complete. Would love a follow up. Didn't give 5 stars just because I think the course could have been even more specific about young readers target audience. Thank you.

By mohamed G

Aug 14, 2015

Very good course and Prof specialy guest Prof ,now really i have a tools to write story for children and teenager(my dream) ,i hope that i will succeed in my new experience.Thanks for all.

By Kristen H

Mar 15, 2019

Excellent information and overview from first draft to writing a query letter. I work in publishing but not in children's publishing, and I picked up a lot of new tricks from this course.

By Lianne

Jul 13, 2017

Very fun, and interesting. Only thing that was lacklustre for me was the peer-feedback. I gave a lot of specific feedback and didn't really get anything back. Other than that, awesome.

By Paulo S

Nov 25, 2015

I learned some helpful tips on how to edit and how to better structure a story. But there were assignments particularly on the last two that should have used assignment two or three.

By Rhiannon D

Feb 18, 2016

Very simplistic in places and preaches their style as if it is the only way sometimes too. However it's a good grounding in the basics and there are some useful exercises.

By Kajol

Oct 18, 2015

Basic course for budding writers.

Good practice.

Also, excellent interviews with other published writers, editors and playwrights. It was the highlight of the course for me.

By Constanza B

Aug 1, 2020

El curso es muy interesante, da las pautas para que un escritor principiante pueda organizarse y es enriquecedor las distintas voces de diferentes escritores que convoca.

By Ejikeme J O

Aug 14, 2016

I Love this Course. It challenges me to write. It makes me believe I can be a good writer, may be an author.

Thank you Commonwealth Education Trust Team.