Back to Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest by Commonwealth Education Trust

This course is for curious students and aspiring authors with a passion for writing for young readers. Participate in a dynamic online community of writers as you experiment with your own writing and develop your voice. This course will guide you with a combination of video lectures, online readings, peer reviews, and guest appearances from world-renowned children’s authors. As you work through the writing exercises, you will give and receive feedback from your peers and gain tools and techniques for improving your writing. During this course you will identify stories that matter to you, explore cultural significance and boundaries, and shape your identity as a writer; become familiar with standard elements of narrative (character, setting, plot, theme, language, dialogue, point of view); reflect on your own work and practice essential self-editing skills; see the different ways in which words and art interact, and the possibilities of longer narrative forms; come away with practical insights into publishing options; and create a plan for pursuing your enthusiasm for writing. By the end of the course, you will have ten to twelve extracts of writing that you can develop into a portfolio. Join a dynamic community of many voices from around the world. Find inspiration in your own voice, heart, and place so that you can tell the stories for young readers you’ve always wanted to tell....

DB
Feb 6, 2016

I am a beginner wantabee author and publisher, first steps are elementary, as I need. Self paced, life can get in the way. Instructors are wonderful, as are the guest speakers and interviewees Thanks.

FO
Jul 16, 2017

This course introduces writing in an easy to understand way. The interviews with published authors are very insightful as well. The exercises are a great avenue to practice what the Mooc instruct

426 - 450 of 470 Reviews for Writing for Young Readers: Opening the Treasure Chest

By Mamotheba M

May 11, 2017

I am finding this course helpful. The presentations are simple and easy to follow

By Yan O L

Dec 24, 2019

The course materials are very informative and useful. Thanks for the good work.

By Phillip K

Aug 29, 2015

It's perfect for teach beginning Children's book writers how to start writing

By Hanaa A

Sep 13, 2015

I love this course. I learned a lot. It ignited my passion for writing again.

By Martin P

Sep 7, 2015

The general advice given is very good and useful, and the section

By David M

Sep 1, 2017

Añadiría textos en español o la opción de subtitular los textos.

By PASCAL D

Sep 5, 2015

interesting and clear !

For all levels of English

Good experience

By Sudha M D

Sep 15, 2015

Many more Handouts to refer can improve the course much better

By Kattia C

Aug 31, 2015

Very good Training! Lots of examples and practical knowledge.

By TONY E 1

Jun 28, 2020

Its a very effective MOOC to enhance the writing skills.

By Katy S

Aug 31, 2015

This was a very helpful course, as well as entertaining.

By Ekaterina K

Sep 5, 2015

The course is helpful for begining writers. Thank you.

By Mónica S

Jun 15, 2017

I learned a lot in this course. It was really good

By Grace M

Sep 6, 2021

The course has some very clear and practical tips

By C L

Oct 3, 2015

I'm learning to write a book which is great.

By P R R

Jun 29, 2020

Great way of explanation of the topics.

By Kawaiisquishy • 9 y a

Oct 15, 2017

Good explanation for non native speaker

By Nguyễn M T

Nov 10, 2015

Great, this course upgraded my view.

By Cátia B

By Sara M S V

May 23, 2020

By Rebecca F

Sep 3, 2015

I want to give it 3 1/2 starts - sometimes the modules seem really segmented and you spend half the time repeating the same ideas or recapping the course material (that was new that week!).

While the assessment tasks were great exercises, the fact that they're peer-reviewed means that the feedback you get is often unhelpful or poorly informed.

It was a good course to do, but I don't think it's really going to change anyone's life (and I would encourage people to not take the peer feedback too seriously!).

By Arlene H

Feb 16, 2021

I enjoyed the course a lot. However, I found that some of the peer reviews were extremely subjective and not really an honest critique of the work. Language barriers were the biggest setback as were the fact that peers are not qualified in critique methods, myself included. It would be extremely valuable for a qualified reviewer to comment on our work and give us the type of feedback we are looking for so we can improve our work.