Back to The Science of Training Young Athletes

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Training Young Athletes by University of Florida

Seventy percent of kids drop out of sports before their high school graduation. Only 15% leave because they feel they are not good enough. Almost 70% leave because they were not having fun, or due to problems with the coach. Injuries cause 30% to give up sports. This course is packed full of practical sports science information that provide youth coaches and parents with the practical pediatric sports science insights to successfully retain young athletes and develop their sport potential while avoiding injury and overtraining. We begin by examining the multidimensional nature of coaching, the relevant sport motor performance abilities, the impact of growth and development on motor skills, the gene versus practice controversy, and briefly overview the body structures strengthened through training. Then we explore the athlete's energy supply, where this energy comes from, and how it matures along with the athlete. Finally, we examine the development of strength, power, anaerobic capacity, coordination and flexibility through the life span. The optional text manual for this course is available at: http://www.learnitez.com/HighPerformanceScience/manuals/...

BD

May 28, 2017

Great base to build on. Filled in my gaps with regards to physical/physiological development of young athletes. For me it is a great addition to the English FA Level 1 and 2 football coaching course.

PP

May 01, 2020

The course was explained comprehensively.. thank you so much for making this course, I have learned a lot. I can surely use this knowledge in my class as Physical Education teacher

126 - 150 of 164 Reviews for The Science of Training Young Athletes

Feb 27, 2018

great

By MANJUNATHA K N

Jul 23, 2020

good

By Stephanie D P

Dec 28, 2019

nice

By Judy O

Aug 15, 2020

This was a good course very much emphasizing the science of how the maturing body functions in athletics. It had a lot of good information and the instructor was quite willing to say that the answers to some questions just haven't been found yet. I feel like I have a much better understanding of what my students are going through physically as they grow and try to learn sports skills.

The course unfortunately (to me) did not discuss practical applications much at all. We were pretty much left to try to figure out our own ways to adjust our coaching based on the science, but without knowing appropriate drills to develop these things, it left us knowing what we'd like to accomplish but not knowing how to do it - goals without plans. I'd love to see a follow up course on application of the science, and another one on sports psychology!