Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston System

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

ZR

Jan 18, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

SC

Oct 31, 2016

A great course for those who are interested in the fascinating bilingual research going on in area. Clearly stated, up-to-date literature shared.

1 - 25 of 48 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

By Anne-Laure F

Jan 31, 2017

Great lecturer giving an up-to-date and accessible state of the research on the bilingual brain, based on a wide range of studies including his own. Great way to get a sense of what neuropsychology is for beginners. I was expecting more on how bilingualism influence the way we think / process information / create, but the response has been that things are much more complex than that... I recommand this course to anyone curious about bilingualism.

By Shu C

Oct 31, 2016

By Andréa M H

Apr 30, 2017

Excellent! I would recommend to all those working on bilingual education and consulting for parents about it.

By OlgaRudina

Jul 02, 2017

Great! Arturo Hernandez is a very talented person and great professor

By Carla S

Mar 30, 2017

I loved the course because I surely learned a lot!!! Thank you!

By Shaoyun H

Dec 07, 2017

In general this is a great course. For those who have no pre-existing knowledge in the cognitive linguistics field it offers a comprehensive review of established researches. All the videos are in the form of lecture except the office hour ones, which makes the lessons a bit boring at first sight, but when one have dived into them and got used to this way of teaching the intriguing contents start to weigh heavier. There are only two suggestions for improvement. First, it would be nice to have an introduction of brain parts. Second, if students could take exercises and get assignments in more than one way rather than simply re-do the video questions in the quiz section, it would definitely make the lessons even more attractive and help learners memorize better. Anyway, thank you Prof. Hernandez for this great course.

By Irina M

Jun 13, 2018

Very interesting insight of the bilingual brain processing that helps me understand my bilingual children better, working with the other bilingual children (teaching them Russian Mother tongue), how to keep L1 going, when L2 is dominant (due to the environment) and exposing them to other languages. The importance of Age of Acquisition, the difference between early learners and late learners of the languages, the language proficiency, its expertise, control, flexibility, the language loss and recovery and so on - all these aspects play a huge role in Billinguism. This course is based on psychological scientific studies, tests, referrals to the actual brain areas, its function. Thank you, Dr. Hernandez, really enjoyed your course!

By Margarete D P

Feb 07, 2020

I loved this course, so much that now I´m watching all the lessons again! It brought me all that I could learn from neuroscience discoveries in the last years, things that are already helping me to format a more efficient course for my EFL students! I´m very happy! Congratulations to the professor and all of you.

By Ángel J A

Nov 20, 2017

The course was very useful and Dr Hernandez is good at explaining things clearly.

As a foreign language learner, it gave me some insights into what to expect during the process, backed by research

By Paulina A O d Z

Mar 13, 2019

Este curso es genial! No sólo aprendes del cerebro bilingüe, sino de cómo funciona el cerebro en general. Es la segunda vez que lo hago porque es realmente fascinante, muy recomendado!

By Zeel R

Jan 18, 2018

By CLB

Dec 12, 2019

I learned so much through this course... not only academic literature, but also a new way of reasoning and approaching languages.

By Daria R

Oct 14, 2019

This course provides lost of data and valuable information for those who are interested in bilingualism and how the brain works.

By MAI L

Sep 20, 2019

Happy Learning 👊🏻🤩👊🏻

Very Informative 👍🏻😄👍🏻

Very Interesting 👏🏻😀👏🏻

Thank you, DR. George Hernandez🙏🏻🏆🙏🏻

By Carolyn S

Jan 29, 2019

This class covered many different aspects of bilingualism (and multiligualism) and included evidence from research.

By Alexandre C d S

Feb 20, 2020

I don't think there's an English word exactly suitable for this course. This course is amazing, fantastic.

By Renata A L

Aug 25, 2019

Excelente curso. Recomendo em especial aqueles que trabalham em ambientes de múltiplos idiomas.

By Ghufraan S

Nov 20, 2017

Please, if there is another course with Dr. Hernandez! I am very fascinated in that topic!

By Jennifer B

Jun 26, 2018

Dr. Hernandez is wonderful! He gives such great insight into a bilingual brain!

By Elena N

Sep 01, 2018

Very interesting and informative course. Thank you!

By Filipe G F d M

Apr 16, 2018

Nothing less than amazing and helpful.

By Andrea M P

Aug 21, 2017

Great teacher, great lectures!

By Rudakova A