Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

ZR
Jan 17, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

SC
Oct 30, 2016

A great course for those who are interested in the fascinating bilingual research going on in area. Clearly stated, up-to-date literature shared.

1 - 25 of 76 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

By Shaoyun H

Dec 7, 2017

In general this is a great course. For those who have no pre-existing knowledge in the cognitive linguistics field it offers a comprehensive review of established researches. All the videos are in the form of lecture except the office hour ones, which makes the lessons a bit boring at first sight, but when one have dived into them and got used to this way of teaching the intriguing contents start to weigh heavier. There are only two suggestions for improvement. First, it would be nice to have an introduction of brain parts. Second, if students could take exercises and get assignments in more than one way rather than simply re-do the video questions in the quiz section, it would definitely make the lessons even more attractive and help learners memorize better. Anyway, thank you Prof. Hernandez for this great course.

By Anne-Laure F

Jan 31, 2017

Great lecturer giving an up-to-date and accessible state of the research on the bilingual brain, based on a wide range of studies including his own. Great way to get a sense of what neuropsychology is for beginners. I was expecting more on how bilingualism influence the way we think / process information / create, but the response has been that things are much more complex than that... I recommand this course to anyone curious about bilingualism.

By Shu C

Oct 31, 2016

By Andréa M H

Apr 30, 2017

Excellent! I would recommend to all those working on bilingual education and consulting for parents about it.

By OlgaRudina

Jul 2, 2017

Great! Arturo Hernandez is a very talented person and great professor

By Carla S

Mar 30, 2017

I loved the course because I surely learned a lot!!! Thank you!

By Irina M

Jun 13, 2018

Very interesting insight of the bilingual brain processing that helps me understand my bilingual children better, working with the other bilingual children (teaching them Russian Mother tongue), how to keep L1 going, when L2 is dominant (due to the environment) and exposing them to other languages. The importance of Age of Acquisition, the difference between early learners and late learners of the languages, the language proficiency, its expertise, control, flexibility, the language loss and recovery and so on - all these aspects play a huge role in Billinguism. This course is based on psychological scientific studies, tests, referrals to the actual brain areas, its function. Thank you, Dr. Hernandez, really enjoyed your course!

By Sonja W

Jun 26, 2020

Growing up a bilingual (German/ English) and becoming a multilingual as an adult, I have truly enjoyed this course. I have been able to respond to and resonate with many of the concepts within each week, with many Ah- ha! moments throughout. It is wonderful to learn about the ongoing and current research in this area of study. This course has offered me with a wonderful insight into where my postgrad journey can take me next - and I am truly excited! (Loved the final exam quiz. I surprised myself in how much I remembered from the content.) Thank you for all your time and effort!

By Rafaela B M

Aug 16, 2020

O curso é muito interessante e acrescenta muito a quem estuda a área de linguística em Letras, principalmente aqueles que pretende seguir a linha de 'aquisição da segunda língua' com foco em Inglês!

Visto que contem vários termos técnicos, aconselho dar uma revisada em um matéria de biologia, e aprender um pouco sobre as partes do cérebro, como elas funcionam e se conectam. Não é necessário que seja nada muito aprofundado, mas irá ajudar a compreender melhor os conceitos e estudos!

By Margarete D P

Feb 7, 2020

I loved this course, so much that now I´m watching all the lessons again! It brought me all that I could learn from neuroscience discoveries in the last years, things that are already helping me to format a more efficient course for my EFL students! I´m very happy! Congratulations to the professor and all of you.

By Yanilet C

May 13, 2020

The Bilingual Brain class is fantastic. The Class is very informative, and clear.

Now I understand why my accent is so strong in English.

I am 57 year old and this class helped with other area of knowledge and keep me very busy during this difficult time the world is going through.

By Elena R

Aug 31, 2020

Muy completo, claro y enriquecedor. La división de los temas fue muy prudente, los cuestionarios reunían lo más destacado de las lecciones y la estructura del curso hizo que el aprendizaje sea progresivo empezando por lo más básico hasta lo más completo y complejo.

By Elizabeth R V

Aug 18, 2020

An interesting course that triggered my couriosity about brain and language. Dr. Hernandez gives a lot of practical examples and experiences to understand hard concepts. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in psycholinguistics, ESL/ EFL teaching.

By Barbora D

Oct 4, 2020

This was my first experience with online courses and I could have not chosen a better one to start off :) Professor Arturo E. Hernandez explains everything very clearly and I am very pleased with the content that I was provided with.

By Ángel A

Nov 19, 2017

The course was very useful and Dr Hernandez is good at explaining things clearly.

As a foreign language learner, it gave me some insights into what to expect during the process, backed by research

By Maruša G

I had a lot of fun during listening of this course. I learned a lot about bilinguals and how they function, about age of acquisition and control and flexibility of the brain an language it uses.

By Ana A T F

Jun 21, 2020

This course was an exceptional overview of the different aspects of what a Bilingual Brain can be developed since the childhood to adulthood. Thank you so much for the knowledge given to us.

By Paulina A O d Z

Mar 13, 2019

Este curso es genial! No sólo aprendes del cerebro bilingüe, sino de cómo funciona el cerebro en general. Es la segunda vez que lo hago porque es realmente fascinante, muy recomendado!

By Zeel R

Jan 18, 2018

By MOHAMED M P

Oct 9, 2020

This course provide us with various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages

By Yuri T

Aug 16, 2020

It led me to a whole new world to see bilingualism from different point of view. It explained ideas that I had before scientifically.

By CLB

Dec 12, 2019

I learned so much through this course... not only academic literature, but also a new way of reasoning and approaching languages.

By Daria R

Oct 14, 2019

This course provides lost of data and valuable information for those who are interested in bilingualism and how the brain works.

By MAI L

Sep 19, 2019

Happy Learning 👊🏻🤩👊🏻

Very Informative 👍🏻😄👍🏻

Very Interesting 👏🏻😀👏🏻

Thank you, DR. George Hernandez🙏🏻🏆🙏🏻

By Carolyn S

Jan 29, 2019

This class covered many different aspects of bilingualism (and multiligualism) and included evidence from research.