Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

ZR

Jan 18, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

SC

Oct 31, 2016

A great course for those who are interested in the fascinating bilingual research going on in area. Clearly stated, up-to-date literature shared.

26 - 50 of 74 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

By Manaf S

Jun 13, 2020

It really solidified parts of what I already know about bilingualism. I'm really excited to read the book.

By Alexandre C d S

Feb 20, 2020

I don't think there's an English word exactly suitable for this course. This course is amazing, fantastic.

By Fanny L

Jul 14, 2020

Great course, which provided valuable information. Coursera offers the best way to continue learning.

By Renata A L

Aug 25, 2019

Excelente curso. Recomendo em especial aqueles que trabalham em ambientes de múltiplos idiomas.

By Ghufraan S

Nov 20, 2017

Please, if there is another course with Dr. Hernandez! I am very fascinated in that topic!

By Monaliza B M

Sep 18, 2020

Insightful. Explained the different associations of language learning across fields.

By Jennifer B

Jun 26, 2018

Dr. Hernandez is wonderful! He gives such great insight into a bilingual brain!

By Elena N

Sep 01, 2018

Very interesting and informative course. Thank you!

By Dr. A D P

Jul 25, 2020

One of the best courses available on Coursera

By Filipe G F d M

Apr 16, 2018

Nothing less than amazing and helpful.

By Andrea M P

Aug 21, 2017

Great teacher, great lectures!

By Valdéres R d S

Sep 24, 2020

OIOIYH

By GLORIYA V

Jul 31, 2020

Good

By Veronika J

Sep 12, 2020

An interesting and insightful course. Prof. Hernandez uses up-to-date information and clearly explains how the bilingual brain works. Growing up monolingual and becoming multilingual as an adult, this course fulfilled my curiosity in all those brain and language phenomena I've always searched an answer for. I loved the office hours, and how well the professor elaborates on aspects that play a crucial role in bilingualism and multilingualism. Although, I expected additional literature sources or diverse weekly tasks. The final quiz , for instance, summarizes the same week 1-8 questions and looks easy to pass.

However, I would totally recommend this course to linguists, translators and interpreters, language teachers, or simply anybody interested in this subject matter.

By Amit K

Jan 05, 2019

Excellent information and well-presented. I think some of the early lesson videos were not timed very well (either too long or too short). An ideal video length for one lesson for me is 8-10 minutes. I liked the flow of the course, the planning of the lessons and the examples used. The subtitles were not always well-transcribed. The transcribers did not bother to check up non-English words, the real spellings of researcher names, and in one case actually got this professor's name wrong. End of unit quizzes being exact repeats of lesson quizzes made things a bit too easy to pass.

By Luna L

Dec 17, 2016

The content of this course is really interesting and intriguing, but it would better if there are additional sources and information. Also, instead of mainly picture the teacher in the video, it would be nice if there could be more graphics and diagrams to illustrate the idea that the professor is trying to convey. Besides those minor deficiencies, I would say that this is a really good course and will worth your time.

By MAXIM B

Oct 18, 2020

Fantastic course! It was incredible to be able to explore different types of bilingualism (e.g. early vs. late bilinguals) and compare the data obtained in different experiments with the changes registered in the brain. Furthermore, I'm extremely grateful to Maya and Prof. Hernandez for holding Office Hours every week. What a brilliant idea!

By Yoko L

Apr 30, 2020

As a Japanese English bilingual, I found this course very interesting as it gave me some insight into how I might've acquired the two languages and explain some of the phenomenons I experience day to day when switching between languages. It also gave me some fruit for thought on how I might expose the two languages to kids down the future.

By Lisa G

Jul 03, 2017

I would have liked deeper explanations of the charts and diagrams that were used so it's easier for those of us not familiar with the studies or brain images to understand.

Overall I really enjoyed the class! I'm getting my MA in Linguistics and Language Acquisition in the fall, and this was a great warm-up into that.