Back to The Bilingual Brain

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Bilingual Brain by University of Houston

This course explores the brain bases of bilingualism by discussing literature relevant to differences in age of initial learning, proficiency, and control in the nonverbal, single language and dual-language literature. Participants will learn about the latest research related to how humans learn one or two languages and other cognitive skills....

JS
Jan 19, 2021

Amazing and I have learned a lot. I am a Bilingual myself and it really sheds light on how the brain works in terms of learning and being proficient in two languages or more for others.

ZR
Jan 17, 2018

This course helped me in understanding various aspects of how brain and mind works and how we can use these knowledge for studying different languages and also when we multitasks

51 - 75 of 108 Reviews for The Bilingual Brain

By Monaliza M

Sep 17, 2020

Insightful. Explained the different associations of language learning across fields.

By Jennifer B

Jun 26, 2018

Dr. Hernandez is wonderful! He gives such great insight into a bilingual brain!

By Paola P

Jun 27, 2021

H​igh quality course with a great professor! Thank you!

By Lucia C

Mar 16, 2021

I had a great time learning with Professor Hernandez.

By Elena N

Sep 1, 2018

Very interesting and informative course. Thank you!

By Xiaohui M

Apr 12, 2021

This is a wonderful lesson~ Thank you very much!

By Yernazarova G

Nov 23, 2020

Very interesting course! thank you very much!

By Dr. A D P

Jul 25, 2020

One of the best courses available on Coursera

By Margot K

Sep 5, 2021

G​reat course! Thank you Dr. Hernandez!

By Filipe G F d M

Apr 15, 2018

Nothing less than amazing and helpful.

By MARIA K

May 10, 2021

By Andrea M P

Aug 20, 2017

Great teacher, great lectures!

By Valdéres R d S

Sep 24, 2020

OIOIYH

By GLORIYA V

Jul 30, 2020

Good

By Sue Y C

Aug 24, 2021

I have learned tons on bilingualism, language acquisition and feel I had a good introduction to the field of neurolinguistics. I thank Professor Hernandez and everyone involved in organizing this course for the extensive introduction on the academic literature in this field. I feel I have the tools to further my studies based on the material/ingredients provided. What I would suggest for improvement, however, is to also provide accurate spelling for the names of all the researchers introduced. The English transcript was far from accurate. It was possible to check the correct names from quizzes and exams, and I went back to revise the names on my class notes. But for some of the studies without the correct names of researchers it was difficult to look up additional resources. Also, someone else mentioned this earlier but I would also ask for a brief overview of brain regions. I could look up "intro to anatomy" material for med students, but the perspective and density of information is different from the focus of this course, so it was quite challenging to grasp all the regions and their functions mentioned in this course. Over time I got the hang of (a bit) the more frequently mentioned areas, but still, it was challenging to take in when the information is only presented verbally, and all over the place.

That said, I had a great learning experience. Thank you.