Back to Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions by University of Alberta

Of all the animals on earth, which are the strongest for their size? What about the fastest? Who were the first animals to evolve flight? Insects take all of these titles and more! As the most abundant animals on the planet, insects and other arthropods affect our lives in so many ways. From beneficial interactions like pollination and biological pest control, to the transmission of life threatening diseases; this course will teach you about the big ways that these little arthropods impact our lives. In Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions, you will be plunged into the diverse (and sometimes alien) world of arthropods to learn how they work, what they do, and how insects and humans interact every day. After completing this course, you will be able to: Describe the evolutionary relationships between insects and their arthropod relatives Inventory major groups of insects and their diversity Demonstrate evolutionary adaptations that make insects successful Discuss insect biology and human-insect interactions Evaluate positive and negative interactions between insects and humans Propose practical and symbolic roles insects play in human societies...

AB
Jul 7, 2020

Very interesting and specially the anchors of this course are very enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the course so my focus is maintain for bugs and surly I will search more on insects further.

SM
Feb 4, 2020

Excellent course! Content-rich and very informative both as a learning experience for the insect enthusiast or beginning entomologist as well as an excellent review for the practicing entomologist.

1 - 25 of 436 Reviews for Bugs 101: Insect-Human Interactions

By Jamie K

Jul 12, 2019

I already hold a Ph.D. in entomology and a BCE from the Entomological Society of America, and thus have a broad background in the study of insects. However, prior to this course I did not have the opportunity to take a full course that focused specifically on insect-human interactions. While parts of this course were redundant on the knowledge I already hold (which allowed me to zip through the course faster than I'd expect the average student to do), I did slow down on the later units that included some new content that I had not learned previously. Even the redundant portions were a welcome review of insect biology. The course was well organized, engaging, and offered a wealth of information. The visuals were effective, the explanations were clear, and the topics were covered broadly and without apparent bias. Thank you to everyone who worked to make this course happen; your hard work and dedication really show.

My only critique - and it's a minor one - is that the instructors spoke as if reading a script. A more conversational tone would help to create a feeling that I'm really in the classroom.

By diana a

Sep 27, 2019

I'm trying not to cry, as I've reached the end of this wonderful course. I loved learning from you wonderful teachers, and will miss your faces and voices. Thanks for making this course so wonderfully engaging, full of incredible visuals, succinct interviews, unbiased facts, and thought-provoking lessons and quizzes. I was very happy to enhance my experience by creating Quizlet flashcards for all the terminology and pre/suffixes, and to make that available to my fellow learners. As of now, there are currently 158 participants that have signed up to use them. I'm thrilled that others are benefiting from them as well. My love of arthropods has gained a more scientific foundation, for which i will forever be thankful. My next goal is to somehow become a part of Citizen Science! Thank you for inspiring so many of us. Thanks to the University of Alberta for making this accessible to the world, and for Coursera and their easy-to-use interface. I adored every minute of it.

By Stuart M

Feb 5, 2020

By Priya

Aug 7, 2019

I am an engineer by profession, who has always had a fascination for insects. This structured course helped me learn about them more formally.

The course is very well organized. It was helpful to have diagrams, photos and videos as the instructors spoke.

As a lay person, the modules most informative to me were - "Plant Feeding and Impacts of Herbivory" and "Insects and Disease". The part on taxonomy in Module 1 was also very interesting. I would have liked to delve a little deeper into taxonomy.

I found that one of the female instructors spoke too rapidly, especially on the later modules (9, 10, 11). This made it a bit difficult to follow along.

My only recommendation would be to include a "Further Reading" section at the end of the course that students can refer to if they wish to dig deeper into a particular topic of interest.

By Shyamal L

Dec 17, 2019

I majored in entomology and completed several graduate level courses in entomology more than two decades ago. I decided to take up this course mainly to examine the quality of the content and it is really well made, keeping the interest of the complete outsider and providing a great overview. I cannot but recommend this to all those who have have an interest in insect life but have either not chosen to study entomology or have been unable to do so.

By Lizzy B A

Jul 16, 2019

This class is phenomenal. It was shared in the FB group "entomemeology" and a few of us signed up. It's such a great way to take an intro to entomology course because there's no pressure for a grade; I can just passively learn now and let myself totally enjoy it. Later I won't be so stressed taking a full entomology course for a grade!

By Harald S

Aug 26, 2019

Excellent course for a "beginner" as existing rudimentary and a more ore less scattered

(diversified..?) knowledge was just sorted out in a updated way so a more stable

believe in bugs by now for a "student" born 2 year before beginning of WW2.

By Cheryl S

Mar 27, 2020

Professors are knowledgeable. I obtained so much information about my future career in this one course! I honestly plan on taking it again at some point to refresh my memory and hone my skills.

By Gabriela C R

Aug 21, 2019

Amazing!!! Learn so much about insects! I am an agronomic engineering student and I definitely think that I will apply some topics that I have learn in my professional life. It was a great experience, thank you so much.

By Bryan B

Aug 13, 2020

Excellent breadth of information, and more depth than expected. Videos and provided course notes are detailed and well-organized, and interactive exercises were helpful (more of them would be welcome!). Questions posted on the forum were answered by staff quickly and in great detail.

This is an amazing way to learn more about a vast and often overlooked part of our ecosystem - highly recommended!

Note: please do not judge the course based on the first five minutes of the introduction video - Dr. Joelle Lemmen, Ilan Domnich, and Valerie Marshall present virtually all of the course material after that.

By Juan A P A

Aug 22, 2020

This course is the best of this platform. The instructors are so nice and fun, the course facilitator Ilan Domnich is such a nice guy that answer every single question in the forums. It's a long course but totally worth it. I got out of the course with a smile on my face, loving insects a lot more than I did before

By Dennis W R

Feb 2, 2020

This course was exceptionally well produced both in content and in presentation. As a teacher of medical students for the past 30 years, I wish I could do as well as you have done. Thank you

By Jessica B

Oct 17, 2019

Very informative, fun and interactive. The lecturers are very passionate and you can see that they really love what they do. I would recommend this course to any science loving individual.

By Dr M A

Aug 7, 2019

Its really a very interesting course to learn the basic knowledge of different type of insects and their interaction with the humans as well.

By Abhishek V b

Jul 8, 2020

By JORGE L V C

Aug 25, 2021

Excelente el curso! Lo recomiendo mucho, incluso si ya tienen conocimientos previos. ES muy completo y me dio oportunidad de recordar y aprender cosas nuevas.

By Gabriela Q d M

Dec 1, 2020

Curso muito legal e diverso para quem se interessa pela entomologia. Sou bióloga e aprendi e relembrei muitas coisas!

By alejandro

Jun 18, 2020

Very nice course that helps you to understand the importance of insects in almost every part of our life.

By Diana C H

Nov 23, 2020

Es un curso muy completo, dinámico, interactivo y de gran interés, felicitaciones.

By Brian H

Jan 5, 2021

Closed captioning was very helpful. Thank you. However, please consider having longer sentences in cc ( slightly smaller font) so that if I missed a word it wouldn't disappear so quickly.

The GLOSSARY was amazingly helpful. Wow. Thank you.! BRILLIANT!

Interviews were AWESOME and lent variety and interest to 'flesh-out' the course.

THEORIES without EXAMPLES were difficult to remember. For instance, Hector Caracamo gave many excellent theories that were hard to remember because there were no concrete examples provided.

Somewhere on the screen you should keep your names, the presenters, so that we can be reminded of who you are while you are presenting. We want to remember your names.

A couple of photo mistakes - when you were referring to light pollution affecting moths the picture is of a butterfly. And, a beautiful red butterfly pictured on a large green leaf - has a pin in it. Gotcha!

The reference to the Chipewayan tribe is a no-no. They prefer to be known as Dene. (Chipewayan is how the Cree refer to them, and is NOT complimentary)

Peter Heule is SUPERB in his interviews, convincing me to take my granddaughters to his museum.

By Alyssa N S

Aug 9, 2020

I love bugs and this course only solidified that! It's nice to be around other people who have the same interest and passion for these alien-like creatures all around us. My only complaint is that it is difficult if not impossible to contact anyone for questions. There is a discussion board but people have to decide to answer your questions... you can see how many people view your question and decide not to answer. Thank you for this adventure <3

By John H

Sep 26, 2019

A good basic overview of the insects (and some other arthropods); I would have preferred more time spent considering insect diversity and behaviour, and rather less on control methods; maybe this could be covered in Bugs 102? Unfortunately the presentation was very dated with the rather wooden speakers sitting in front of the camera apparently reading from the auto-cue.

By Teddi T

Jun 29, 2020

I think the try it yourself sections were pretty interesting, however content felt to be really memory based which feells very overwhelming

By Oliver Z

Jun 4, 2021

Very educational, but the people teaching us were a little boring.

By Matt P

Apr 30, 2020

I am an environmental educator/nature educator, and I was looking for a course that could help me further my interest in and very limited knowledge of insects (both for personal interest and professional development). Thank you to the staff for making a great course. It was filled with quality made videos, impressive amounts of interviews with relevant professionals, and well explained concepts that I could understand even though I didn't have a large amount of previous knowledge. Part of what makes the course great is that the staff (shout out to Iian) keeps this class "live" by responding to student posts with thoughtful comments. I am happy I took this, and I learned a great deal about the basic biology of insects, their roles in an ecosystem, plenty of interesting facts about specific insects, how they interact with humans in a medical/cultural/agricultural setting, as well as many "teachable moments" where the material inspired my own independent and significant thoughts on things such as medical and economic disparity across the world.

Oh, and I have new favorite insects: froghoppers and treehoppers (they can experience and survive several hundred times earth gravity when they jump, and treehoppers look REALLY cool), and trilobite beetles. Its hard to choose just one insect!