Back to Classical Sociological Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical Sociological Theory by University of Amsterdam

This Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will offer the participants an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century. Highly influential social science scholars, such as Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emile Durkheim, will be discussed during 8 sessions. Combined with small tests, based on the video’s and recommended readings, the participants will be encouraged to dive deeply into the complex texts and get familiar with classical sociological concepts that are still very relevant today....

Jan 07, 2019

Simple,neat and interesting way of explaining the content. Didn't get bored. Good refreshment if you already know the stuff and good introduction if you are new to sociology. Professor is really nice.

DT

Oct 29, 2018

This is a course which helps you understand the origin of Sociology. The content of this course includes all the sociologists who played a great role, also the lectures are delivered in a superb way.

1 - 25 of 332 Reviews for Classical Sociological Theory

By Eva B

Feb 15, 2018

Great course, absolutely loved the teacher and his passion and how he explains difficult notions with so much ease. I would definitely recommend this course, it is a great first look into sociology.

By Miguel A

Sep 07, 2018

SOLO TENGO QUE AGRADECERLES POR LA BASTA INFORMACIÓN QUE ME LLEVO Y LOS CONOCIMIENTOS QUE APRENDÍ EN ESTE CURSO. ME PARECE DE LOS MÁS ACERTADO QUE SIGAN HACIENDO ESTOS CONTENIDOS PARA QUIENES NOS GUSTA LAS CIENCIAS SOCIALES

By Samar S

Jan 07, 2019

By Divyang T

Oct 29, 2018

By Alex T

Mar 04, 2016

A great lectures, I really like the attitude of this professor. He is really into his subject and I appreciated his resolution, when it comes to reducing the legacy of his favorite sociologists, into just one crucial point.

Not five stars for quizzes, the parts concerning reading of classics could be much more motivating, in the aspect of the actual reading and anderstanding.

Wish the course from University of Amsterdam on modern authors to come sooner.

By Philip T

May 24, 2017

The lecturer was easy to listen to and the content very interesting. The quizzes were a bit uninspired though: simply repeating the questions posed during the videos. Overall I enjoyed the course and look forward to the next one by this lecturer.

By Najib B

Jan 15, 2019

This is indeed a great course that is true to the objective it sets to achieve- to be able to hold a discourse with classical sociologists through their own work. I always avoided reading classic work in sociology because it seemed to their ideas and style are beyong my ability to undertsand them. I have preferred introductions: 'to Durkheim, to Weber, to Comple' and lull myself into thinking that books about, rather than by, them present all their ideas with an 'explanation' bonus. Yet I was wrong, and the proof is that prfessor Heerikhuizendidn't introduce it all but he was so successful in giving tis MOOC's students the necessary theoretical and conceptual tools to enable them to engage with classc sociological work on their own if they decide or want to know it all, i.e, to read their work without being intimidated by its breadth or its depth. And i'm already making plans to start reading some of the classic books, begnning with Mandeville :) Thank a million again for the course.

By Jeyinti S

Apr 04, 2017

This is definitely one of the best MOOCs on Sociology I have ever taken, and I am new to online learning so you can imagine! The professor is funny, clear and passionate about his work, his lectures and his students!! I couldn't believe this MOOC was over so quickly as I couldn't stop reading and watching more videos. I'm looking forward to more on this topic from Professor Heerikhuizen and the UvA on Modern Sociological Theory. I hope this MOOC will become a MicroMaster Program and I even might get my Master's degree in the future on Sociology (when time and finances permit). I highly recommend this course to anyone interested in learning about our society, dealing with people, situations etc. By having a more sociological mindset, it will allow us to be less judgmental, communicate more effectively and see the world as a whole instead of bits and pieces. Then again, in order to understand the world, one must start with the individual. Very interesting!!!

By Shanto G

Sep 30, 2017

Being from a quantitative background this course has given me a great start in the field of sociology . The course has provided me an "unterbau" on which I can develop my "uberbau" of sociological thought. Being from a state of India, which had a communist Government for 30 years, I had always been fascinated by communism, without ever properly understanding it. This course opened me up to various new ideas of some great modern thinkers. It has given me an endeavor to research and analyze the future of India, which like many of the developed Western economies is going through a great transformation, same as the times in which the great classical sociologists were developing their ideas.

Thanks, Dr. Heerikhuizen for the course and the reference materials. Will be waiting for your course on modern sociologists.

By Manoj J

Jan 22, 2016

Amazing teacher. He has the clarity and simplicity. Lectures are sufficient enough to grasp the essence of the content. People may feel that it is easy to pass this course. I must admit that I was pursuing this course not for a grade but for understanding. I got it. Thanks to the course teacher.

I completed other mooc courses in edx and other platforms.I competed a few. I going through two other mooc from coursera. I had a mixed feeling after attending other two courses from university of Amsterdam. But this course is the best mooc I have so far completed. I was so immersed in the teaching. I completed the course in five days. I am eagerly waiting for the MOOC on Modern sociological theories. There is some element of Eurocentric Focus. But we cannot expect everything one Mooc course.

By Lynda Ş

Jul 24, 2017

Professor Heerikhuizen is extremely knowledgeable and obviously passionate about sociology. He speaks with authenticity and clarity, and his perspective and tone allow the audience to connect with him easily. Technology is well used in this course; images and text appear in the screen while Dr. Heerikhuizen speak, helping the audience understand relationships otherwise hard to capture. Quizzes are well sequenced and were useful for me to check my comprehension. I love Dr. Heerikhuizen's ability to speak deferent languages allowing him to use the original terms for key concepts <3 This MOOC was truly a pelasure for me and now I am Professor Heerikhuizen's fan :) Can't wait to see more MOOCs by hi

By Eddy C

Nov 16, 2015

An amazing start for my first online experience! This MOOC was an eye-opener for a field I had minimal knowledge about. It is a great testimony to the hard work of the organizers and executors of this course. The passion of the lecturer -Dr. Bart Van Heerikhuizen- trickles down to his audience through every single video of this MOOC. The adequately selected suggested readings were extremely coherent and captivating that even a week was barely enough for me to complete them. The books that I have on my to-read-list further to this course are so many, and I wish to get the time to do manage them. If you are hesitant about enrolling in this course, I strongly suggest you give it a shot. Cheers!

By DANIEL D M

Dec 04, 2016

I want to thank dr. Bart Heerikhuizen and all the team that made this course possible. I'm very satisfied with the explanations and examples that dr van Heerikuizen gave in such a short time that lasted each video. I also look forward to go deeper on the thought of Alexis de Tocqueville, Max Weber and Norbert Elias. I have never had the chance to approach this latter author and now that I did I feel very intrigued and interested by his theories.

In my considerations this MOOC achieved its goals. I'm very looking forward for the next MOOC about contemporary sociology. I hope it can happen,

Thanks a lot to everyone. Best regards from Mexico City!!

By Wilson d A C F

Jan 17, 2017

Curso muito bom! O professor é muito claro e simpático e a metodologia é bastante eficiente. Sugeriria apenas que revissem o sistema adotado para formular as questões - muitas vezes fiquei com a sensação de que as alternativas consideradas erradas não eram exatamente erradas, mas apenas divergiam do que o professor disse no curso (aprendi em instituições em que dei aula que o melhor jeito de evitar esse problema é explicitar para si mesmo porque a resposta correta é correta e porque as erradas são erradas). No geral fiquei muito bem impressionado e parabenizo todos envolvidos no desenvolvimento do curso!

By john l

Mar 08, 2019

I am glad that despite his mandated retirement, Dr Heerikhuizen gave this great course. I enjoyed it as it added new dimension to my private reading of The Wealth of the Nation, Democracy in America, and regular publications in The Economist. Certainly, in learning about Karl Marx's work, I appreciate his acknowledgement of the risk of abuse of power and enduing violence. Yet with the massive killing that communist countries have engendered, there is still a not insignificant following with the inevitable recurrence of massive death, despite what Elias noted about the Civilization process.

By Borremans J

Aug 13, 2019

I envy the students of the University of Amsterdam who had the privilege to learn from such an excellent professor, scholar . I admire the commitment , enthusiasm , scientific rigor and emotional commitment that Professor van Heerikhuizen demonstrated in teaching this course and giving it a soul and a very human dimension. The only negative point I have to make is that the good professor is a cat person and I a most clearly am a dog person.

A challenging extremely interesting course taught by an extremely talented teacher and scholar. Sincere thanks and please continue the good work.

By Alba C R

Mar 24, 2019

I loved it! I've studied some of the authors during University but I forgot a little bit about them. This course helped me refresh my memory and introduced me to the other authors.

But actually what I enjoyed the most was the Professor. He explains everything in a way everyone can understand and one can see the love and passion he feels for his career. He is such a good teacher. The way he explains sociology makes everyone want to keep learning about it! I would have loved to have him during my University degree.

Thank you so much, it's been a pleasure!

By Antonia T B

May 30, 2018

An EXCELLENT course. Professor Bart van Heerikhuizen is an incredible teacher. His lectures are exciting, interesting, well presented, and engaging. I love the fact that he quotes in the original French some times. The videos are short and very clear and the quizzes are great (interesting but easy). The course explores the ideologies and thoughts of different thinkers: Mandeville, Smith, Comte, Tocqueville, Marx, Durkheim, Weber, and Elias. A wonderful course. Really. Thanks a lot and many greetings from Madrid / Antonia Tejeda Barros

By Prabhjyot S

Jan 11, 2019

I just want to say that the course was overall very good and thank you very much the team from Amsterdam university for making sociology an MOOC and present in such a beautiful way.

My feedback is that the sociological theories that we have taught here if somehow get connected with the problems and management system of the contemporary society than the students get develop a lens through which it can easily perceive and understand the society in a more sociological way.

Thank again team Coursera and University of Amsterdam.

By Sanjeet A

Dec 16, 2016

Excellent course with a well-balanced approach of the classical sociologists' fundamental ideas. Self-driven research is required if you wish to explore the topics presented to a deep degree but this course provides a great starting platform. In particular, Dr. Bat van Heerikhuizen was incredible. His passion for the subject is very evident and his teaching style is clear, well-focused, and personable. I highly recommend this MOOC for anyone remotely interested in an introduction to sociology.

By Travis S

Feb 17, 2019

This course was an excellent introduction to Classical Sociology, I learned a significant amount and greatly enjoyed it. Dr. Heerikhuizen was very effective in highlighting the key points and explaining them in an understandable fashion. The assigned readings provided good primers on the path to achieving the goal of the course, which is to be able to read the classical texts independently. I highly recommend this course for anyone looking to begin or expand their knowledge of sociology.

By María G

Jan 14, 2016

This course is the absolute best I have taken on Coursera. The teacher is very engaging, explains with ease is a very friendly professor that guides you effectively as if you weren't taking this class online. It is elegantly designed with in-video questions and helpful quizzes that are short and on-point. I liked the over-all design, it touches in the most important thinkers of Sociology but also focuses on aspects that aren't always taught in Sociology classes. A great course!

By Chin L Y

Jul 19, 2017

A very intriguing course that looks into the thinking of the great thinkers who had thought much more about how our modern society works. It is, as if, they had used a long binoculars that could help them see the future from the past. I am not merely saying they are predictive in their thinking, in fact, I am saying their theories or observations had actually been so relevant even in today's context. I was never interested in sociology but this course changed me.

By ANDRE T

Apr 20, 2018

This course was everything I expected. It could not be more deep considering the media and the course's duration, but even though it was very explanatory of the classical authors in Sociology. I learned a lot. The instructor is terrific. And the quizzes are not absurdly obvious as they are many times here nor they are difficult even considering someone whose first language is not English. Looking forward for the course in contemporary sociologists

By saba

Mar 27, 2017

I should say this is one of the best cours in this subject that i have ever seen . i am sociology student in MA and indeed i have spent a different classes in such this subjects, so it is normal to recognize all of this theory , but this kind of method in explaining and the way is selected by this skilled professor is really nice , at the end i should say he really know her audiences and their question too .

thanks your team and website so much