Back to Classical Sociological Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical Sociological Theory by University of Amsterdam

This Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will offer the participants an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century. Highly influential social science scholars, such as Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emile Durkheim, will be discussed during 8 sessions. Combined with small tests, based on the video’s and recommended readings, the participants will be encouraged to dive deeply into the complex texts and get familiar with classical sociological concepts that are still very relevant today....

Jan 07, 2019

Simple,neat and interesting way of explaining the content. Didn't get bored. Good refreshment if you already know the stuff and good introduction if you are new to sociology. Professor is really nice.

DT

Oct 29, 2018

This is a course which helps you understand the origin of Sociology. The content of this course includes all the sociologists who played a great role, also the lectures are delivered in a superb way.

1 - 25 of 309 Reviews for Classical Sociological Theory

By Eva B

Feb 15, 2018

Great course, absolutely loved the teacher and his passion and how he explains difficult notions with so much ease. I would definitely recommend this course, it is a great first look into sociology.

By Samar S

Jan 07, 2019

By Divyang T

Oct 29, 2018

By Alex T

Mar 04, 2016

A great lectures, I really like the attitude of this professor. He is really into his subject and I appreciated his resolution, when it comes to reducing the legacy of his favorite sociologists, into just one crucial point.

Not five stars for quizzes, the parts concerning reading of classics could be much more motivating, in the aspect of the actual reading and anderstanding.

Wish the course from University of Amsterdam on modern authors to come sooner.

By Philip T

May 24, 2017

The lecturer was easy to listen to and the content very interesting. The quizzes were a bit uninspired though: simply repeating the questions posed during the videos. Overall I enjoyed the course and look forward to the next one by this lecturer.

By ybin622012@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2019

Awesome!

By Brenda B

Jan 28, 2019

Great material. The lectures truly added to the reading assignments. If you do the readings and watch the lectures you should find yourself growing in your foundational knowledge of sociological theory.

By Najib B

Jan 15, 2019

This is indeed a great course that is true to the objective it sets to achieve- to be able to hold a discourse with classical sociologists through their own work. I always avoided reading classic work in sociology because it seemed to their ideas and style are beyong my ability to undertsand them. I have preferred introductions: 'to Durkheim, to Weber, to Comple' and lull myself into thinking that books about, rather than by, them present all their ideas with an 'explanation' bonus. Yet I was wrong, and the proof is that prfessor Heerikhuizendidn't introduce it all but he was so successful in giving tis MOOC's students the necessary theoretical and conceptual tools to enable them to engage with classc sociological work on their own if they decide or want to know it all, i.e, to read their work without being intimidated by its breadth or its depth. And i'm already making plans to start reading some of the classic books, begnning with Mandeville :) Thank a million again for the course.

By Sandro M M

Jan 14, 2019

Great and very well structured introduction!

By Luís G S

Feb 01, 2019

Excellent teacher!

By Linda Y

Jan 05, 2019

The program really opened my eyes as my study and practice are within the organization development field. The large system perspectives are very good for me to understand some of the concepts and theories foundations applied in OD. I also admired and enjoyed the professor's way of delivery the speeches and the beautiful language he used.

By Yuka T

Jan 05, 2019

I really liked this course and how enthusiastic the professor is. Highly recommend for those who wish to get a glimpse of sociology from other majors, like myself.

By Pratyush

Jan 05, 2019

Great course on the Classical Sociological Theories supplemented with sufficient reading material to give greater insights into the same.

By Prabhjyot S

Jan 11, 2019

I just want to say that the course was overall very good and thank you very much the team from Amsterdam university for making sociology an MOOC and present in such a beautiful way.

My feedback is that the sociological theories that we have taught here if somehow get connected with the problems and management system of the contemporary society than the students get develop a lens through which it can easily perceive and understand the society in a more sociological way.

Thank again team Coursera and University of Amsterdam.

By Lin Y

Feb 22, 2019

Good quality and well defined goal.

By Edgar M

Feb 11, 2019

excellent course and very insightful into modernity and how we got here.

great tools to analyse life and society

By Travis S

Feb 17, 2019

This course was an excellent introduction to Classical Sociology, I learned a significant amount and greatly enjoyed it. Dr. Heerikhuizen was very effective in highlighting the key points and explaining them in an understandable fashion. The assigned readings provided good primers on the path to achieving the goal of the course, which is to be able to read the classical texts independently. I highly recommend this course for anyone looking to begin or expand their knowledge of sociology.

By narayan s s

Mar 05, 2019

Very well Structured and superb explanation style.

By john l

Mar 08, 2019

I am glad that despite his mandated retirement, Dr Heerikhuizen gave this great course. I enjoyed it as it added new dimension to my private reading of The Wealth of the Nation, Democracy in America, and regular publications in The Economist. Certainly, in learning about Karl Marx's work, I appreciate his acknowledgement of the risk of abuse of power and enduing violence. Yet with the massive killing that communist countries have engendered, there is still a not insignificant following with the inevitable recurrence of massive death, despite what Elias noted about the Civilization process.

By Mohamed a

Mar 10, 2019

GOOD

By Saqib A

Mar 15, 2019

The course is very informative and necessary to understand classical sociological theories. Being student of the sociology I learnt so many topics from this course. At last a billion thanks to course era. Wish of best luck

By Aleksandra P

Mar 26, 2019

The course is of a much of an interest, i enjoyed it a lot and the lecturer was great as well as the material, would learn more.

By Zanji S

Mar 23, 2019

He really carries the lessons well...i never got bored

By Alba C R

Mar 24, 2019

I loved it! I've studied some of the authors during University but I forgot a little bit about them. This course helped me refresh my memory and introduced me to the other authors.

But actually what I enjoyed the most was the Professor. He explains everything in a way everyone can understand and one can see the love and passion he feels for his career. He is such a good teacher. The way he explains sociology makes everyone want to keep learning about it! I would have loved to have him during my University degree.

Thank you so much, it's been a pleasure!

By Hussain H

Mar 26, 2019

I am very glad to share my experience with fellows. This course have enabled me to understand the base of sociology what we called the roots of sociology. It is easy to read and write about theories but to understand its philosophical perspective is like a soul to the body of knowledge. Thankyou course era for enabling me to understand the depth of sociological theory.