Back to Classical Sociological Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical Sociological Theory by University of Amsterdam

This Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will offer the participants an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century. Highly influential social science scholars, such as Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emile Durkheim, will be discussed during 8 sessions. Combined with small tests, based on the video’s and recommended readings, the participants will be encouraged to dive deeply into the complex texts and get familiar with classical sociological concepts that are still very relevant today....

Jan 6, 2019

Simple,neat and interesting way of explaining the content. Didn't get bored. Good refreshment if you already know the stuff and good introduction if you are new to sociology. Professor is really nice.

DT
Oct 28, 2018

This is a course which helps you understand the origin of Sociology. The content of this course includes all the sociologists who played a great role, also the lectures are delivered in a superb way.

201 - 225 of 605 Reviews for Classical Sociological Theory

By Jennifer M

Oct 12, 2015

The professor is wonderful. He is informative and full of genuine passion about his subject and joy for sharing it. He makes the subject very fun to learn!

By Mylona N

Aug 31, 2015

Excellent, very interesting AND understandable, the professor is engaging and the love he shows for his subject quite touching. Thank you for this course.

By Harmandeep

May 14, 2017

Great course. Provides freely accessible reading material and crisp, to-the-point videos elaborating on the essential elements of the works. Many thanks!

By Jannatul F

Aug 28, 2020

This was a great course to know the basic theory of sociology for the beginner. The design of this course content is easy, simple, and well structured.

By Andres A D

Feb 19, 2020

Bart van Heerikhuizen is an excellent teacher! I would take any course with him. I am here waiting for the promised MOOC on contemporary sociologists.

By Aysha. N

Jul 19, 2020

As I am Sociology student this course helped me alot. Had a chance to acquire best and detailed class on classical sociological theories and thinkers.

By Rajaa B

Oct 24, 2017

Fantastic course! The professor is an inspiring teacher, and his enthusiasm and knowledge shone through. I hope Coursera adds more Sociology courses!

By Bareera p

Mar 20, 2021

A course worth for every sociology student, and in general for those who tend to have an understanding in the early social structures and societies.

By Park Y

Jun 16, 2017

I think it is an amazing lecture for me as an high school student to start over the study of sociology. It is just like Bible to sociology academics

By Myeisha A A

Oct 23, 2020

Thanks for making this course. Its really enlightened me. And He explained it all clearly. I really can not wait for modern theories, thanks a lot!

By utkarsh t

Jun 1, 2020

Brilliant course. Thank you, professor, to give MOOCs a chance, and students like us get an opportunity to learn something from you. It's an honor.

By Rachid Z

Jun 27, 2020

An excellent course, well organized, and explained with simple and understandable English thanks to the know-how and good mastery of the teacher.

By HARSHITA S 1

Jun 11, 2020

Wonderful course! Gives us a strong base in sociological theories, the instructor was so passionate about the subject and it was very motivating!

By Horacio L

May 1, 2016

Very interesting course, deepened my understanding of how the social world around me works and in turn giving me power from ignorance. Thank you.

By George J

Feb 27, 2020

The professor is very good at explaining classical sociological theories, which are otherwise very difficult to read and make sense on your own.

By Matovu J

Oct 7, 2015

The course that can best show you to understand human interactions in society. I now have explanations to most of the world sociological issues.

By Guido D

Jun 4, 2020

An extraordinary and clear course for everyone interested in knowing a little of the most important sociologists! Bart, an outstanding teacher!

By Madhusmita B

Sep 27, 2019

This is a vast topic.And beautifully it is described in each video presentation.One can easily understand each topic through different example.

By 18UPHA005

Oct 31, 2020

I really got an insight to understand the classical sociological theory, and I truly admire the dedication the professor who taught the course

By Vicente C R

Jun 26, 2020

Thanks to the University of Ámsterdam and Dr. Bart van Heerikhuizen. Also thanks yo Coursera for all your work. I seriously enjoy this course.

By Antonella S D

Dec 7, 2019

Muy interesante. No soy hablante nativa de inglés, sin embargo pude entender el contenido sin problemas. El profesor es muy claro al explicar.

By Drona K

Jan 10, 2021

I have always been interested in Sociology and there could not have been a better course to get me kickstarted. Loved the tutor and lectures.

By Dirghayu P

May 3, 2021

I have really enjoyed this course. The course materials are very good. It was a real challenge to complete this course. I am glad I did.

By Anjaly J R

The professor's passion for Sociology is contagious. He excellently summarized complex sociological theories into understandable sentences.

By Kovyazina K

May 10, 2021

Absolutely fantastic lecturer Dr van Heerikhuizen! I would recommend any series of lectures with him! A total pleasure for years and mind.