Back to Classical Sociological Theory

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Classical Sociological Theory by University of Amsterdam

This Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) will offer the participants an introduction into the most important classical sociological readings between the 18th and 20th century. Highly influential social science scholars, such as Karl Marx, Max Weber and Emile Durkheim, will be discussed during 8 sessions. Combined with small tests, based on the video’s and recommended readings, the participants will be encouraged to dive deeply into the complex texts and get familiar with classical sociological concepts that are still very relevant today....

Jan 07, 2019

Simple,neat and interesting way of explaining the content. Didn't get bored. Good refreshment if you already know the stuff and good introduction if you are new to sociology. Professor is really nice.

DT

Oct 29, 2018

This is a course which helps you understand the origin of Sociology. The content of this course includes all the sociologists who played a great role, also the lectures are delivered in a superb way.

126 - 150 of 484 Reviews for Classical Sociological Theory

By Kippi a

Jul 07, 2020

This was by far the most organized and well-done MOOC I have taken so far. Not only was it presented extremely well, but the professor was amazing and I enjoyed every second of this class.

By Wenxing L

May 01, 2020

This is my best MOOC ever! The professor is so enthusiastic, and I love his lectures!! Can't wait for the second MOOC!!!! Recommend for any students who want to gain knowledge of sociology.

By Miriam S

Mar 09, 2018

Awesome course, very clearly structured, nicely presented and interesting. Sociological theories relate to so many aspects of daily life - it's good to take some time to study the classics!

By Gilberto G d L

Apr 14, 2020

Absolutely wonderful course. It gives you the basis of the greatest classic sociologist's theories in a very clear and friendly way. The lectures are easy to understand and fun to watch.

By Diego L F

Sep 30, 2018

An amazing and interesting course to grasp the very basics of sociological theory. Clear and deep ideas of the authors are explained with interesting examples and motivating readings!!!

By Julia D

Feb 16, 2018

The most efficient course in Classical Sociological Theory. Great presentation and core questions! Thank you a lot, Professor Heerikhuizen & the team! Can't wait for your next course!!!

By Paulina T

Feb 03, 2020

Amazing teacher. His way of teaching is unike. It so much more easy for me to ready the gretear thinkers by using the methodology I learned in this course. Loved it and recommend it!

By Adolfo L G R

Aug 14, 2019

This course is exceptional I am learning a lot from the teacher and a online mode is preferred by me I would very much recommend this course to everyone in the social sciences field

By Jonathan F d S

Nov 29, 2015

I've been delighted by this course and I still keep saying I have no idea of how long my learning journey might be and where it will take me. You just gave a challenge I'm proud of!

By Inass M S

Sep 24, 2017

Amazing course. I wish indeed there is another one for contemporary sociological theories. The professor is superb. I would recommend this course to anyone interested in sociology.

By Matthew S

Jul 26, 2017

Loved the teacher, really explained things well. You could tell he really loved the subject he was teaching, which makes me love the subject even more. I'll be taking his next MOOC

By Lo E

Nov 13, 2018

I was a sociology student many years ago and recently I need to do research again. The course gives me a very good revision and retrieve my memories of what I have learnt before.

By Pamela C

Nov 28, 2018

Well explained. The teacher is awesome. I had read some of these thinkers before taking this course, but I have learned many new thing. I am really satisfied with this course.

By Glenda H

May 14, 2017

This course provides a good theoretical background for thinking about the context of why modern society is moving in the direction it is. Its content is good food for thought.

By Pratik n d

Oct 14, 2017

Extremely insightful, illuminating and interesting. The professor is a wonderful teacher who was able to express such an abstruse topic to a layman like me in a lucid manner.

By Beau Y

Mar 15, 2017

I really enjoyed this class. An easy and essential introduction to classical sociology! Thank you professor. Can't wait to take your next class on modern sociological theory.

By Andrew G

Sep 10, 2015

Excellent course. Very well and entertainingly presented. Very clear and informative content. Would love to it extended as a Part 2 to cover the more 'modern' Sociologists.

By Katherine I

Sep 07, 2018

An interesting yet efficient overview of several of the main classical theorists. The professor is very engaging - would definitely want to take another course with him!

By Luis R F

Aug 13, 2017

Thank you very much! I wanted to take a similar course for long time. Now I have more knowledges about the classical sociology. I hope to see more from your university.

By Maksim K

Oct 05, 2015

I like it!!!

The Course is smart, interesting & appropriate level. Thanks to the instructor and the team. Thank you to the Amsterdam University for another great course!

By Pedro S F

Jan 18, 2020

curso maravilhoso, me ajudará muito em ministrar aulas de sociologia, o professor dá uma aula leve e que te leva no caminho lógico para deduzir os termos empregados!

By Yuka T

Jan 05, 2019

I really liked this course and how enthusiastic the professor is. Highly recommend for those who wish to get a glimpse of sociology from other majors, like myself.

By Cheong C W

Nov 08, 2015

Very enthusiastic teaching by the professor. I enjoyed tracking my progress throughout the course. Concepts were explained very clearly and in an memorable manner

By Tomas M

Jul 19, 2020

The professor is able to explain complex concepts with phenomenal clarity, provide colourful examples and do it in excellent English. Highly enjoyed the course!

By Abril O D

Jun 28, 2020

A really good and well-explained course. Absolutely enjoy it. It is very helpful even if you are familiarized with the authors already. Thanks to the professor.