Back to Combinatorics and Probability

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Combinatorics and Probability by University of California San Diego

Counting is one of the basic mathematically related tasks we encounter on a day to day basis. The main question here is the following. If we need to count something, can we do anything better than just counting all objects one by one? Do we need to create a list of all phone numbers to ensure that there are enough phone numbers for everyone? Is there a way to tell that our algorithm will run in a reasonable time before implementing and actually running it? All these questions are addressed by a mathematical field called Combinatorics. In this course we discuss most standard combinatorial settings that can help to answer questions of this type. We will especially concentrate on developing the ability to distinguish these settings in real life and algorithmic problems. This will help the learner to actually implement new knowledge. Apart from that we will discuss recursive technique for counting that is important for algorithmic implementations. One of the main `consumers’ of Combinatorics is Probability Theory. This area is connected with numerous sides of life, on one hand being an important concept in everyday life and on the other hand being an indispensable tool in such modern and important fields as Statistics and Machine Learning. In this course we will concentrate on providing the working knowledge of basics of probability and a good intuition in this area. The practice shows that such an intuition is not easy to develop. In the end of the course we will create a program that successfully plays a tricky and very counterintuitive dice game. As prerequisites we assume only basic math (e.g., we expect you to know what is a square or how to add fractions), basic programming in python (functions, loops, recursion), common sense and curiosity. Our intended audience are all people that work or plan to work in IT, starting from motivated high school students. Do you have technical problems? Write to us: coursera@hse.ru...

KB

Dec 26, 2019

Great course, lots of good info, not too long. Some of the coding assignments and quizzes are challenging, but the staff respond very quickly to questions in the forums.

PR

Aug 03, 2019

Had loads of fun during most part of the course. Frequent quizzes keep the learner on toes. Thoroughly enjoyed the final programming quiz to implement a dice game.

26 - 50 of 95 Reviews for Combinatorics and Probability

By Chen Z

Sep 11, 2018

The final project is hard for me cuz I don't have Python experience. and the logic is a little bit complicated. That's not for absolutely beginners!

By Kaustubh F

Amazing course, gave me geometrical intuitions some times that made understanding a whole lot easier. The explanation was quite clear.

By James M

Mar 21, 2020

I've covered these topics before but there were a lot of great problems and extensions of concepts in this course. Worth doing.

By Joseph A D

Feb 11, 2018

informative material presented clearly and simply. I had studied bayes before and it was nice to get a concise review.

By Farhan F A

Apr 27, 2020

I am grateful to the teachers for such an amazing journey throughout the courses. Especially the puzzles designed.

By Peter N

Apr 06, 2019

Fantastic course! Really like Vladimir Podolskii's explanations and sense of humor. Great dice game at the end!

By Yash

Feb 22, 2020

the course was very good. it improved my overall knowledge in the area of probability and combinatorics.

By Juan L O V

Oct 30, 2017

This one is a bit more 'mathy' than the first one, it has a good pace and the exercises are really cool

By Andrew M

Nov 11, 2017

A great course that is well organized. I love Professor Alexander Shen, because he makes me happy.

By Ashish D S

Jul 14, 2018

Content of this course is excellent. Basic Python programming skill is required for this course.

By Harish K T

Sep 15, 2019

If you really want to have a greater grasp over mathematics, don't miss this course.

By Karan S

Sep 02, 2019

The explanations with examples and simulations make the concepts crystal clear.

By Kuldeep K

Apr 26, 2020

A must-do basic level course for combinatorics and probability for beginners

By Dmytro N

Nov 01, 2017

I like the course very much! Thanks a lot guys, keep creating new courses!

By Ho W J

May 04, 2020

Final Project will be difficult if you don't have any python background

By Chen Y

Jan 25, 2020

Good course and help me a lot with a certain degree of difficulty

By Xiaoyuan C

Jan 12, 2018

Excellent course! Thanks for the effort of the course team!

By Vamsee M K

Dec 02, 2017

A very nice introduction to probability and combinatorics.

By Javier O

Dec 15, 2017

Excellent and complete course. I completely recommend it

By Ziqi Y

Dec 31, 2018

Great! Challenging final project but worth trying!

By Miguel A D A

Nov 26, 2018

Super interesting the topic about combinatorics

By Aviral B

May 06, 2020

This course is aptly difficult as it should be

By Shubham K P

Apr 19, 2019

Especially the probability part was very good.

By Orkun Ö

Oct 15, 2019

Great course! Many thanks to the instructors!

By Steven W

Dec 01, 2017

This course will fill your head with numbers.