Back to What Is Contemporary Art?

Learner Reviews & Feedback for What Is Contemporary Art? by The Museum of Modern Art

What is contemporary art? In this course, you’ll consider this question through more than 70 works of art made between 1980 and the present, with a focus on art from the past decade. You’ll hear directly from artists, architects, and designers from around the globe about their creative processes, materials, and inspiration. Five themes serve as your guide: Media from Television to the Internet, Territories & Transit, Materials & Making, Agency, and Power. You’ll look at 3-D–printed glass and fiber sculptures, performances in a factory and a museum, painted portraits—as well as those made with artificial intelligence—and interventions into television and video games. And much more, all drawn from the collection of The Museum of Modern Art. Come along as artists invite us into their studios, out into their neighborhoods, and to experiment with the materials they use. Not only will you develop a deeper understanding of how artists work today, you’ll also explore some of their many approaches to the pressing issues and questions of our time. By taking this course, you’ll gain confidence to look at contemporary art wherever you encounter it and make connections to your own life or creative practice....

GH

May 04, 2020

Very interesting and easily consumable resources, lots of video, audio, and short text so it was very fun and accessible. They have a good diversity of artists across ethnicity, sex, and country.

C

Apr 21, 2020

Whether a fan of modern art or not, this course is really interesting and educational on how art is created, the story behind the piece, the materials, etc. Really well done by MOMA, thank you.

1 - 25 of 218 Reviews for What Is Contemporary Art?

By Brenda R C

Mar 13, 2020

Este curso fue muy importante para mi, lo tome para conocer mas acerca del arte contemporaneo ya que en lo personal no me. gusta, y descubri muchos artistas muy buenos y obras muy interesantes, que definitivamente cambiaron mi manera de pensar

By Emily B

Feb 21, 2020

Very narrow view of what art is. Political positions front and center a central requirement for inclusion. Most examples require a back-story or long explanation of the artist's intentions to begin to appreciate, as the work does not stand on it's own merits. Most examples are descendants of Duchamp, so you need to be excited by his nihilism to appreciate these selections. The Architectural examples are the strongest work.

By Danny V

Jan 20, 2020

Es una forma increíble de entender las piezas de arte en las galerías, las motivaciones, el contexto, las piezas mostradas son de gran inspiración.

By Francisco J V C

Jan 23, 2020

Amazing experience totally helps you have a better understanding of the contemporary art

By Dario P

Apr 13, 2020

I'm a sicilian artist, working hard to find a simple and effective artistic language that can be understood by the most.

My goal in the path of art is trying to communicate feelings that led people to join and not to divide.

In order to do that,my ideas grows with the help of other's ideas, in a loving interconnection between medium's and vehiculation of ideas themselves.

What I feel about art is an inner connection to the best part of myself: the soul.

In order to feel art in an ethic way thoughts,art and feelings does't belongs to me,in a sense of possession, but they belongs to humanity as an interdependence bewteen who am I today thanks to others that has been before me.

So sharing is more important than possessing.

After years of studying, drawing , painting and writing , ina private inner space, I'm trying to find a path to the exposition of my point of counsciousness and works.

I had the abitude to retain closed in the drawer, ideas , drawings and paintings, feeling insicure on what I was doing, having the idea of keep them hidden , because weren't satisfying as artworks.

Now I'm still insicure, and probably I will be like that till the end of my days, but with the peace of having the will to let others see what's inside that drawers. And try to understand if they have an artistic meaning and relevance.

To make this step I was helped by those who has encouraged me to let them out, to take the risk, and especially than's th whom said to me that art I was creating has a strenght expressive of human feelings and fears .

This course was a very inspiring path through ideas and expressions.

It helped me a lot on my reaserch of my artistic Language with a confrontation with other international artistic languages.

Hoping that this message could be inspiring others to join communities and dialogue.

By Carla

Apr 21, 2020

By Celina C

Apr 13, 2020

I felt that it was very complete and not over complicated. I took more than what I was expecting from it. Thank you!

By J-Man

Jan 23, 2020

Another quick and well curated collection of works that are discussed in greater detail from MOMA

By Miguel I O J

Apr 29, 2020

It has been a very educational and easy course to take and I highly recommend it. I must confess that before doing this course he saw Contemporary Art with more distance. I believed that there were thousands of nuances that escaped when it came to understanding certain artists and works of art and this made me somewhat reluctant to face him. This course shows countless artists and works of art and helps you understand their meaning and the intention with which their authors carried out the work. It is a course that I recommend to everyone who wants to understand the world of contemporary art a little more or who simply enjoys art.

By JAIME F G

Apr 02, 2020

EXTRAORDINARIO, CONOCER ARTISTA Y OBRAS DE DIFERENTES TÉCNICAS Y DIFERENTES ESTATUS Y TAMBIÉN CREACIONES DIVERSAS ATRAVEZ DE CRACIO0NES Y DE DIFERENTE INDOLE, LA COMUNICACION CON FOROS DE DIFERENTES CREADORES, ESTUDIOSOS DEL ARTE...

By Gavin H

May 04, 2020

By Marta R

Mar 25, 2020

Great selections of artists . The course is full of videos, texts and interviews with the artists to delve into a beautiful journey of discovery of Contemporary Art.

By Odalys

Mar 12, 2020

El curso enseña acerca de obras de artes que de verdad son muy buenas, y vale totalmente la pena tomar el curos porque aprender de cultura y arte

By Paccelli J M Z

Jan 21, 2020

O curso apresenta uma excelente visão da arte contemporânea.

By Carolina M F

Mar 27, 2020

muy completo e interesante!

By Adriana S

Mar 19, 2020

Todo está perfecto. Excepto mi certificado. Quién lo firma? es una burla? pone "signature", por qué no o firma nadie del MOMA? por qué nisiquiera lo firma uno de los profesores? es un curso real del MOMA? quiero saber quién firmó mi certificado y exio sea corregido y sea real. Yo hice mi curso con consciencia y dedique tiempo y pagué mi certificado. quiero respuestas. Gracias

By Jenny P

My only regret is that my busy schedule did not allow me to interact with other students and educators/artists featured more! The content seemed so timely in regard to the current events America is facing today. Although I've always loved art history it was powerful to see how recent and current events are features by all of these wonderful artists globally. MoMa is one of my favorite places in NYC and as a New Yorker the pandemic has made it impossible for me and others to visit MoMa and other art institutions so it felt beautiful to have a connection to the art world and the unity that comes with it.

By Guadalupe R

Apr 14, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. It aproaches themes in a light and clear way, making it easy to comprehend. Personally, it introduced me to artists and art work i did not know. It opend my mind as to different ways of making art and getting involved in matters tha affect me as an individual but also affects society. It has always troubled me the situations in life that exced me and make me feel powerless. By researching more on certain artists and their work i learned that i can too contribute to help on those issues.

By Bianca E H O

May 23, 2020

It was a great pleasure to be in this curse "What is a Contemporary Art?

From the beginning to the end....It allowed me to explore the broad spectrum of all this talented artist....

This curse gave me the answers for most of my questions...

It let me appreciate and understand how the Contemporary Art is, and how Art still constantly evolving and offering maximum freedom to the artist to express their art in a very unique and personal way,

so the viewers can see and interpret their art with their own perspective.

By Olga G

I am very grateful to the Museum of Modern Art and the creators of this course. I see with what love and attention to artists, contemporary art and the audience this is all done. I got a new layer of knowledge and also structured what I received from other sources. Many works have added to me not only impressions and reflections, but also additional information about the historical, geographical and social context in other countries.

By ANA L P

May 09, 2020

O curso é bem interessante para quem busca um maior aprendizado sobre arte contemporânea, seus artistas e bibliografia especializada. Finalmente participei do curso que queria há tempos e de forma gratuita. A quarentena trouxe a disponibilidade de que precisava para completar o curso. Certamente é uma boa bagagem para apreciar melhor a arte contemporânea nos museus brasileiros e internacionais.

By Laura P V

It opened a window of ideas for me even for my on works of art. On self improvement and self expression. It also gave me the opportunity to think about society and issues of our world today. So I concluded that contemporary art helps us understand our on present and were the world’s moving forward, based on all these analyses of ideas, concepts, places, time, etc

By Annabel C

May 05, 2020

To any art enthusiast, looking to better understand contemporary art ideas and themes, develop an appreciation for contemporary artists, artworks as well as gain confidence in discussion on contemporary art subjects, I would recommend this course - recommended for the varied selection of art, breadth of content and succinct exploration of the topic.

By Ana K V L

Mar 24, 2020

This course offers a wide range of subjects that contemporary art deals with and, in addition to an introduction to the subject, it gives us a perspective of the different functions of art and how they detonate certain social devices around the world. For me, contemporary art always responds to where, why and what it is for.

By Cecilia M

Jun 01, 2020

Le cours était très intéressant et bien organisé. Le charge de travail est bien organisé et séparé, les leçons sont assez courtes (10-15 minutes chacune) de façon qu'on peut décider en autonomie et à son rythme quand les faire, même si on ne dispose que de peu de temps dans une même journée.

Je le conseille.