Back to Creativity Toolkit I: Changing Perspectives

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Creativity Toolkit I: Changing Perspectives by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Thinking and doing the same things faster and better is not enough; we need creativity. Fortunately, creativity is a skill you can learn. This course will examine when, why, and how we can be creative. It examines the cues that trigger us to consider being creative. It provides a road map of the creative process – the process of changing our perspectives – and the kinds of outcomes that result from creativity. It examines how we can go through the creative process more efficiently and more effectively by examining what is changing about our thinking and how we can make those changes. The end result is more flexible thinking that can be used to recognize and develop new opportunities....

SP

Jun 17, 2020

Excellent! Well structured. Coursera is a great platform. The professors are engaging and seem to really care about their students. I learned a lot over the last 4 modules.

LR

Sep 30, 2020

This course is simply AMAZING, I have learned so much! Thank you! One thing though: Santos Dummont was the one who invented the airplane, you may want to correct that.

1 - 25 of 118 Reviews for Creativity Toolkit I: Changing Perspectives

By Patricia B

Aug 20, 2019

I loved this course because it was very practical and I have new tools now to become more creative at work! Thanks!

By Michal M

Jul 01, 2020

Great course that gives you a framework and 'tools' to be creative consistently.

Creativity is a process & skill a skill that can be learned.

KEY POINTS:

It is about changing perspectives (collection of concepts to make sense of a story) and allow us to think differently - outside the box.

Concepts are representations of types of entities in the world

Assumptions are not only about what things are, but also how they relate to one another.

Cues are the prompts to consider changing our perspective. Such cues are: impasse; dissatisfaction; surprise; cross-talk. The more often you're able to find a change in perspective, the more you will have the confidence to start your story, and manage the ambiguity and uncertainty of trying to think in a different way, and will have a better sense of measure of confidence (about taking cues seriously or not)

P.A.G.E.S.: Parts; Actions; Goals; Event; Self-Concept

Insight is a change to my current perspective. Invention is a resolution of my current story. Enlightenment is a change to my knowledge.

Tools for Thinking: Analogy; Re-categorization; Combination; Association (passive)

How intrinsic & extrinsic (motivator) factors (liberation/joy/rejection/persistence/money-awards) affect our creativity.

...to be productive, do not focus on being productive; but rather to be creative and persistent.

By Helene H

Mar 24, 2020

I was very impressed by this course (although I already knew quite a bit about creativity).

It is well structured, instructive and still very concise. The two teachers make such a great pair together, they set the tone in a very positive, enjoyable and still serious manner.

I appreciated the examples, the clear references to research and reading suggestions. There was not even a second when I felt bored. I'm thankful and curious to learn more !

Hélène (Paris, France)

By Ryan M

May 12, 2019

Outstanding content - every professional should take this class, regardless of profession. The process and approaches outlined were real eye-openers for me. What's more, the concepts can be applied as soon as they are learned. I never would have thought that creativity could be this "teachable".

By Peter v B

Feb 19, 2019

Amazing course! Great teachers! Fantastasic personal result, because it brought my creativity to a much higher level!

By Susanna A P

Jun 17, 2020

By Emi K

May 23, 2020

This course was very well structured and a nice introduction to creativity. I found it really interesting even though I had studied creativity at length before.

By Abdurrahman S

Nov 30, 2019

No slides summing up speeches.

May 06, 2019

This is a course with no teaching tools

And no standards or creative presentation of content

just talk

By Hao F

Dec 13, 2017

Hope some slides can be added in the future rather than they are just talking to each other.

By Rafiq

Jun 05, 2020

Course was very good over all. I never knew creativity can be artificially stimulated instead of naturally occurring. Very useful relevant practical course. Just to improve upon, i request the instructor to slow down his speech a bit to follow up bit more easily. Few times, I had to switch to the subtitle to understand his speech. And also, would be very nice to add individual productivity and the need of early morning routine etc that can boost creativity tremendously. The course content is little less compared to other courses and so it helps to add individual productivity habits such early morning waking up and morning routine etc.

By Anthony S B

Sep 05, 2020

I have to admit that this was one of the most entertaining yet educational MOOC I took in Coursera. There is no single session that Professors Jeffrey Loewenstein and Jack Goncalo had an infectious laugh while discussing. I had taken this course as a day-starter to set my good vibes mood for the day. I wished I could learn more from them. Creativity is learned and this course reminded me again that everyone can be creative. I reminisced my younger days when I was into creative writing and who knows one of these days, I will be back on track. Thank you professors Jeffrey and Jack. This course is highly recommended!

By Laleen D

Jul 01, 2017

This class awakened parts of me that I had squelched for years. It never occurred to me that creativity takes place on many different levels and in many different ways. It's exciting to find a class that applaud's right brain activity! This class also teaches right brainers how to understand culture and innovative ways to help groups interact more creatively. Loved it from beginning to end!

By Nikita R

Aug 08, 2020

An excellent course overall!

The content is to the point, very well explained and highly engaging. But the best part is that the knowledge gained is 100% helpful in enhancing your creative thinking and making sure that innovation is something that you can consistently deliver.

By CATHERINE R

Dec 07, 2018

J'ai adoré ce cours. Il m'a vraiment bien aidée dans un problème industriel à résoudre. Je recommande, la méthode est vraiment très riche et permet de foisonner d'idées plus bizarres et innovantes en prenant des directions improbables... rafraichissant et riche.

By Nadia L

Aug 09, 2020

I wanted to do the course as something to occupy me during COVID 19 lockdown but also I wanted to learn more about structured approaches to creativity. I thought the course was fun, just the right length and thought provoking and met my expectations.

By Damien C L S

Jun 24, 2020

Thank you Professors Loewenstein and Goncalo for the insightful analysis on the PAGES fundamentals of the creativity process. It has certainly enhanced my knowledge, especially with the step-by-step process of analyzing a product or process.

By Letícia G R

Sep 30, 2020

By Jason D

Aug 05, 2020

The tools provided in the course can be easily understood and implemented into everyday situations. This course completely opened my eyes to new perspectives,

By Rashmi T

Jun 26, 2020

It's a wonderful course that enables and empowers to hone the creativity skill. The course content is well explained, simple & concise. Thanks to the

By Iqbal A M

Sep 06, 2020

Excellent, well structured course!!! has lifted my creative thinking process. Fantastic course instructors with cordial course presentations.

By Christian H G G d l A

Aug 11, 2020

Excelente curso. Lo que más destaco es su manejo de información al igual que los ejemplos precisos. Muy bueno y súper recomendado. Gracias!

By Ryan O

Jun 09, 2020

An outstanding class that was a comfort during some challenging times in my career! Truly inspirational and great instructors!

By VIJAY R

Jun 05, 2018

Great Course. Did not realize that creativity could be learnt and there were tools to help being creative. Enjoyed the course !

By Troy W F

Jun 08, 2019

Insightful! Totally changed my perspective on innovation process. Great delivery - entertaining and educational. Thank you.