Back to American Deaf Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for American Deaf Culture by University of Houston System

4.4

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

1 - 25 of 40 Reviews for American Deaf Culture

By Tatiana A

Dec 18, 2017

As a deaf (hoh) individual, seeing a proudly Deaf person as an educator about our culture and struggles was absolutely fantastic and wonderful. It's been great for my self-esteem. Hovewer, I find that this course is very introductory, I would like to also have some lectures going a little bit more in depth into certain topics. Also I found that the struggles we still face are not being discussed enough. As a deaf person, I know what my life is like, but I imagine many hearing people will be left with an impression that all our barriers are long overcome and that audism is not a thing anymore. I definitely would like you to touch on that as well.

By Sarah O

Apr 08, 2020

I've always been interested in deaf studies and sign language, and this was my very first course in this subject area. It was a very informative course, and being a non-American, it was all the more interesting! I would love to have the opportunity to learn sign language itself one day (would likely be NZSL as I live in New Zealand). The course was so enjoyable that I completed it in one day! Hope there are more MOOC courses in deaf studies and/or sign language.

By Leeza R

May 23, 2020

Hello, my name is Leeza Roper and I am a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) I enjoyed this class because it taught me so much more about a culture I am invested to, Deaf culture. I was able to learn the specifics and the spectrum of Deafness. Thank you to Dr. Brittain for this class and providing his own experiences as a way to reflect and think about the individual experiences in one, expansive culture.

By Kellyann A A

May 21, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I am hard of hearing and I knew some of what I learned but Professor Britten taught me a great deal more about deaf culture as well. I really enjoyed this course and all of the information provided. Professor Britten was wonderful as a teacher and very easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this course to many other people.

By Florangel R

Feb 20, 2019

It was an excellent course. I had the opportunity to understand more the deaf culture. Among everything I enjoyed the videos and papers for reading. The professor had a very good approach and his own personal experiences were the perfect way to see the course in a practical way.

By Karla N B J

Apr 27, 2019

Thanks to this course I'm able to conect with deaf people and understand more about their life's style. It was amazing taking this course because of the teacher and the interpreter. Easy to understand and very complete.

By Aimee G

Dec 09, 2017

This course was very interesting and I love how it was done completely in ASL with an interpreter for hearing people. Thank you for teaching me more about deaf culture in the U.S. I am inspired to learn how to sign!

By Christina P

Oct 10, 2017

Please offer more like this!

By Julieana M

Jun 16, 2017

By Caitlin R

May 08, 2020

This course was awesome! I am hoping to go to school for ASL-English interpretation and this course only made my desire to start this profession even higher. Thank you!

By Carole C

Mar 10, 2018

I am hearing and have just started a new job in a deaf related structure and I feel this course has been an awesome entry point in understanding the deaf culture.

By Sherilyn B

Feb 11, 2019

This course is wonderful! I highly recommend it to my friends and family -- and to anyone wishing to expand their views and understanding of Deaf Culture.

By Maverick S

Jan 11, 2019

This is an amazing course! I found it taught me a lot about American Deaf culture and would highly recommend it to everyone.

By JOHN Q

Nov 24, 2017

NICE COURSE WHICH MADE ME AWARE OF SOME NEW TERMS AND SOME NEW CULTURALLY SENSITIVE WAYS TO COMMUNICATE. THANKS SO MUCH.

By Pablo V G

Feb 29, 2020

An amazing experience doing this course. It's very well explained and it hooks you to listen every time.

By nida c

Dec 28, 2019

Very helpful especially for those they are looking for working with disabilities.

By Laura M

Apr 29, 2018

Very interesting and loaded with information I had not learned before. Thank you!

By jacqueline n

Jan 07, 2018

Thanks for a great class! I learned so much! I would recommend to everyone!

By Laura W

Apr 30, 2020

Very informative, interesting, and entertaining. Thanks!

By Arun G

Mar 16, 2020

I like learning more. I want to learn some more!

By Lucas W

Sep 24, 2019

Great instructor and interpreter

By Kimberly M

Jan 19, 2019

Very informative and enjoyable.

By clairissa m

Nov 05, 2019

amazing course!!!

By masroor b a

Apr 24, 2020

By Grace F T

Apr 18, 2020

It was very informative and a great intro course. It could have helped to have more material (each "lesson" is a minute or so long) and make the reading and videos part of the quiz. I recommend doing the homeworks as you get the most out of them and I really like the professor. His interpreter didn't seem to carry the same energy and translations the way I'd hoped, but I still really enjoyed the class and would love to take more like it.