Back to American Deaf Culture

Learner Reviews & Feedback for American Deaf Culture by University of Houston

This is a six-week course providing a historical overview of the American Deaf community and its evolving culture. Theoretical frameworks from sociology are explored. Deafness as a culture and not a disability is explained as participants are guided into the world of Deaf culture....

CP

Oct 10, 2017

I've gotten an Associate's in Sign Language and learned a lot about American Deaf Culture and this was a wonderful refresher for me! I did NOT want this class to end!!\n\nPlease offer more like this!

JM

Jun 16, 2017

I am also a CODA, and I am so happy that a course on Deaf Culture is on CourseRA. Very proud of the collaborative efforts of exposing hearing people to the deaf community. ILY!

1 - 25 of 68 Reviews for American Deaf Culture

By Tatiana A

Dec 18, 2017

As a deaf (hoh) individual, seeing a proudly Deaf person as an educator about our culture and struggles was absolutely fantastic and wonderful. It's been great for my self-esteem. Hovewer, I find that this course is very introductory, I would like to also have some lectures going a little bit more in depth into certain topics. Also I found that the struggles we still face are not being discussed enough. As a deaf person, I know what my life is like, but I imagine many hearing people will be left with an impression that all our barriers are long overcome and that audism is not a thing anymore. I definitely would like you to touch on that as well.

By Grace F T

Apr 18, 2020

It was very informative and a great intro course. It could have helped to have more material (each "lesson" is a minute or so long) and make the reading and videos part of the quiz. I recommend doing the homeworks as you get the most out of them and I really like the professor. His interpreter didn't seem to carry the same energy and translations the way I'd hoped, but I still really enjoyed the class and would love to take more like it.

By Liliana B C

Jul 25, 2017

Es un excelente curso que habla de manera general de la cultura sorda, de las leyes, las vivencias, el esfuerzo que les ha representado ser reconocidos como individuos valiosos, me encantó poder adentrarme y saber más de este mundo tan rico y acogedor. Me gustaría que hubieran ahondado más en algunos temas, como la educación y que hubiera más profesores para conocer más experiencias.

By Angelica V P C

Me permitió comprender la cultura y la interacción dentro de ella, adicional conocer las herramientas con las cuales se cuentan al día de hoy .

Gracias por esta formación, para mi es de gran importancia.

"El que no conoce la historia, esta obligado a repetirla."

By BLACKHAM L R

Sep 30, 2020

I WANTED TO LERN MORE

By Mary P G

Aug 01, 2020

I personally was born prematurely and suffered severe hearing loss from birth. Growing up in a hearing culture with very little support was extremely difficult. I did have speech therapy and wore hearing aids all my life until in my late 50s got two cochlear implants which has helped me tremendously but I truly think my life would have been much more enriched had I gone to a school or two that geared to deaf students, and society belief in me and in my successes...while my parents tried their darkest , it can only go so far In the world and society we live in. Thank you for this course. I wish sign language was a language taught at elementary schools as a required course and carried on through high school.

By Winona R

Jun 02, 2020

It was indeed a great course. It was very informative. Helped me understand the deaf and the deaf culture in America. I liked the way the professor taught the basic terms first and then went on talking about the whole culture which made it easy to understand and follow. The professor's personal experiences also helped a lot in understanding as well as kept the course interesting. I would love to do more courses like this. Thanks to Professor Terrell Brittain and the University Of Houston for organizing a course like this.

By Sarah O

Apr 08, 2020

I've always been interested in deaf studies and sign language, and this was my very first course in this subject area. It was a very informative course, and being a non-American, it was all the more interesting! I would love to have the opportunity to learn sign language itself one day (would likely be NZSL as I live in New Zealand). The course was so enjoyable that I completed it in one day! Hope there are more MOOC courses in deaf studies and/or sign language.

By Aymara H

Aug 10, 2020

I am writing to tell to the professor Terrell Brittain that I thank you for giving me the American Deaf Culture course. I am interested. I am very glad for learning a lot about your culture. I am also deaf from Venezuela. It is a very different culture but I live in Toronto Canada.

I also thank Coursera for giving me a good course. Successes!!I want another course, but without an American Sign Language interpreter.

By Leeza R

May 23, 2020

Hello, my name is Leeza Roper and I am a CODA (Child of Deaf Adults) I enjoyed this class because it taught me so much more about a culture I am invested to, Deaf culture. I was able to learn the specifics and the spectrum of Deafness. Thank you to Dr. Brittain for this class and providing his own experiences as a way to reflect and think about the individual experiences in one, expansive culture.

By Kellyann A A

May 21, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this class. I am hard of hearing and I knew some of what I learned but Professor Britten taught me a great deal more about deaf culture as well. I really enjoyed this course and all of the information provided. Professor Britten was wonderful as a teacher and very easy to follow. I would definitely recommend this course to many other people.

By Florangel R

Feb 20, 2019

It was an excellent course. I had the opportunity to understand more the deaf culture. Among everything I enjoyed the videos and papers for reading. The professor had a very good approach and his own personal experiences were the perfect way to see the course in a practical way.

By Jacqueline C

Aug 14, 2020

The course was easy to move through. I learned a lot just by watching Terrell sign the lesson. I am hearing and any interaction with a native signer is quite valuable. The articles were also helpful. The interpreter was good.

By Karla N B J

Apr 27, 2019

Thanks to this course I'm able to conect with deaf people and understand more about their life's style. It was amazing taking this course because of the teacher and the interpreter. Easy to understand and very complete.

By Aimee G

Dec 09, 2017

This course was very interesting and I love how it was done completely in ASL with an interpreter for hearing people. Thank you for teaching me more about deaf culture in the U.S. I am inspired to learn how to sign!

By Christina P

Oct 10, 2017

Please offer more like this!

By Julieana M

Jun 16, 2017

By Caitlin R

May 08, 2020

This course was awesome! I am hoping to go to school for ASL-English interpretation and this course only made my desire to start this profession even higher. Thank you!

By Carole C

Mar 10, 2018

I am hearing and have just started a new job in a deaf related structure and I feel this course has been an awesome entry point in understanding the deaf culture.

By Rebecca S M

Jul 23, 2020

Loved learning more about (American) Deaf Culture, especially from someone who is informed and experienced. Thank you, professor, for the tips and knowledge!

By Abdifatah A

Sep 22, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and it improved my knowledge on deaf culture in America. i like the way of the instructors explaining the subject. thank you

By Sherilyn B

Feb 11, 2019

This course is wonderful! I highly recommend it to my friends and family -- and to anyone wishing to expand their views and understanding of Deaf Culture.

By Julia F

Sep 18, 2020

I LOVED this course! I enjoyed all the extra readings & videos. I learned a lot. It was hard to stop watching your videos. Bravo & well done.

By Lisa J

Jun 15, 2020

This was a fun and interesting class. It's very informative for those interested in learning more about the Deaf Community.

By Maverick S

Jan 11, 2019

This is an amazing course! I found it taught me a lot about American Deaf culture and would highly recommend it to everyone.