Back to Designing the Organization: From Strategy to Organizational Structure

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Designing the Organization: From Strategy to Organizational Structure by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

In this course you will understand how firms are organized, what factors must be taken into account in making critical design decisions, and what role managers play in making these choices. In order to answer these questions, we will first develop a conceptual process model that links business models, external and internal contingencies, and organizational design. Second, we will focus on the fundamental principles of organization design and what alternative design choices are available for managers. Finally, we will apply these concepts and ideas to organizational situations to develop the critical insights and decision making skills to build effective organizations. Learners: • Will understand how managers create value through their organizations • Will have a good understanding of the fundamental principles and factors important to organizational design • Will be able to design the coordination, control, and performance measurement systems to manage an organization. This course is part of the iMBA offered by the University of Illinois, a flexible, fully-accredited online MBA at an incredibly competitive price. For more information, please see the Resource page in this course and onlinemba.illinois.edu....

WR

Jun 26, 2019

I really learnt many useful things and skills by this course. Really thanks your Coursera team for giving us this chance to complete our education while sitting at home. THANKS!

LA

Jul 16, 2017

Professor Leblebici is incredible teacher, and the Courses' materials are so powerful, and very important to learn how to implement them almost in any type of business!

76 - 100 of 108 Reviews for Designing the Organization: From Strategy to Organizational Structure

By Romain V

Apr 21, 2016

Great cou

By Richard M ( D J

Jun 24, 2018

I enjoyed taking Designing the Organization: From Strategy to Organizational Structure, which is my third course in the Strategic Leadership & Management Coursera specialization with the University of Illinois. I enjoyed all aspects of the course because it gave me insight into how organizations come together, and the strategies that should be employed when putting together organizations. I unknowingly followed many of these principles when putting together organizations and teams, and the course showed me where I made mistakes, and outlined some course corrections for me for the future. Due to business needs I took quite a bit of time to complete this course, but I still got a lot out of the course. I think the most recent study, Week 4: Elements of Organizational Design - Integration was one of my favorite areas of the course. Once you set on a path to put an organization together, you do have to integrate, and the organization needs to execute on its objectives. I particularly like the last reflection essay, which I did on Why Corporate Functions Stumble, as I found a lot of applicability to my own work in this article.

By Nolan A

Jul 18, 2017

S

By Nicola M

Jun 29, 2017

It's an incredibile course, you need to attend both of the courses of Professor Leblebici to fully understand all the framework of the concepts.

By MICHAEL W

May 15, 2017

I really liked this course and will be retaining my notes from it. I believe my notes will help somewhere down the line in my professional career.

By John H

Mar 26, 2018

Good course, but I had a lot of trouble interacting with the app. It would not let me post comments or questions which was a bit frustrating. Going off the app and through the website now!

By Iris S

Dec 12, 2016

This course was good and the professor did a good job explaining content, however, it didn't really seem like useful information to me since it was extremely theoretical.

By AMANDA S C B

Aug 08, 2016

It was a very informative course - I definitely will apply with I leant in my every day management

By Shi Y

Aug 06, 2018

The course is good and the professor teaches very well, especially the powerpoint is very clear.

By Raul N C G

Sep 30, 2018

Good course with solid content. The earlier portion, modules 1 & 2, were somehow thougher to follow, unlike the 2nd portion and the two previous course by Prof. Gregory Northcraft. Regardless, it is worthy learning.

By Zaw Z O

Sep 18, 2018

This research based specialization has provided the fundamental knowledge and essential skills in from daily strategic leadership to Managing organization effectively; you will see how the course is precise and concise that leads the potential leverage for achieving your organization’s goals and sustaining its long-term success.

By Kyle B

May 04, 2019

I enjoyed this course's focus on design. The videos were useful and concise, as were the readings, and the assignments were structured well to make you think.

By Rafiq

Jul 21, 2019

Good course. Felt some are practical and some I am unable to relate. Maybe the next course, Manage the organization, is more practical.

By Ike S

Oct 02, 2017

I do like the contents, however I personally had a hard time listening to the instructor. The way he speaks is really slow with sudden pauses, so I had to speed it up to 1.5 or 1.75 and that helped a little bit.

By Sergio O

Dec 11, 2017

Expected more details, examples on how to "hands on" design and organization. In my opinion. too much focus on large corporations and almost none on medium size, or small companies that may be facing growth or redesign issues.

By Ileana D

Jun 06, 2017

There is a lot of complicated terminology in this course, the content is very interesting and new to me but I find hard to apply these theories in actual business situations.

By Dimitrije J

Jan 30, 2017

Interesting case studies, but very uninteresting professor.

By Anton F

Oct 17, 2016

very useful content, great readings, but total lack of peer-to-peer engagement. It's like reading a book: nice but not up to industry best practices. Overall, the course is lower quality than the ones before from Gregory Northcraft. Another problem with this specific course is word hunting in quizzes. The ones for case studies are especially tricky.

By Jeff C

Apr 18, 2018

A little too much theory and not enough in applied day-to-day situations that managers will face.

By Jason B

Apr 18, 2018

Many concepts came across as too abstract and would have benefited from more concrete supporting examples. Newer relevant examples would also be useful to update content in sections like the music business module, etc.

By Rishika G

Nov 08, 2017

I found the course very generic and could not meet my expectations.

By Vikash P

Jun 26, 2016

The course lacks coherence which comes as a big disappointment as it follows two excellent modules by Greg Northcraft.

By Sheila

Feb 04, 2018

I didn't find the peer review assignments helpful. Overall, the lectures were adequate.

By Roger

Jul 24, 2016

Just taking part of the course material was rewarding. A good basic introduction to Organization Design. Looking forward to the next step in Designing the Organization

By Roisi P

Oct 28, 2016

The course was interesting, but unfortunately it really felt like it was tailored to a male audience. The metaphors, examples (ie "surely you've taken part in team sports like American Football") and tone really made it feel like the course was aimed not at me, but at men. As a woman in an industry dominated by men, this was disappointing because I don't believe that I am any less deserving of a place at the top table, but this course made me feel like those kind of jobs weren't for me. I would prefer it if the course leaders would take the time to look at the content of this and other iMBA courses and ensure that the content takes on a more neutral tone, to make it feel more welcoming to people traditionally shut out of very senior roles